Rafa Benítez made my life a misery at Liverpool, says Yossi Benayoun

• Thread starter Thread starter sunilvk7
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 23
  • Views Views 3K

sunilvk7

SAF greatest ever.
Reaction score
Yossi Benayoun has accused Rafa Benítez of trying to break him at Liverpool. The midfielder said the former Liverpool manager was the sole reason for him wanting to leave Anfield.

The Israeli midfielder, who joined Chelsea in a four-year deal this month, said the former manager made his life a misery while he was at the club.
"Everyone asks me why I left Liverpool," said Benayoun. "There is only one reason – Rafa Benítez."

The midfielder says the Spaniard, who left Liverpool to manage Internazionale, never treated him with respect he felt he deserved.
"If I played well, I never felt he gave me credit," he told the News of the World.

"When I scored, I still expected to be out of the team the next game. On two occasions early last season, against Fulham and Lyon, the fans booed when I was subbed. They thought I was playing well but Benítez told me he was surprised the fans booed because I was not good enough.

"He tried to destroy my confidence. You can't treat a player like this and expect him to be happy."
Benayoun said he was very unhappy but out of respect for the club he did not speak out. He said the players and people at the club know how he felt.

"I don't want to speak on behalf of other players at Liverpool, but people know what happened to Albert Riera and Xabi Alonso. It was the same for me. Benítez tried to break me like he broke Riera."

The 30-year-old said before the final game of the season Benítez pulled him aside in training and said: "You will not be in the squad for this game. Thank you for your three years of service, now you can call your agent to do a deal with another club."

"That's when Chelsea made an offer," said Benayoun, "and the deal was done before Benítez left."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jul/11/rafa-benitez-yossi-benayoun-liverpool

Tactician or not, have to say Rafa is Master at Man Management. Maybe Rafa leaving is blessing in disguise.

Wonder how much of this has been embellished by Yossi and/or the media.

Sad if even partly true though. Must have been a complete confidence killer.

Ok, story's from Bascombe in the NOTW. That in itself is a big red flag. Yossi running to Bascombe? Bascombe's reviled for a number of reasons - many of them rightly - which are nowt to do with who he currently works for but date back to his time on the Echo when he printed whatever **** he was told to print.

Now Yossi when he was bought was told that he was a squad player. No illusions, no lies, pure truth from the manager when he was bought - you're a squad player, but if you play well then you'll be first team. Couple of weeks after he's signed, his agent is out and about screaming blue murder about how Yossi is too good to be a squad player. Eh? Prove it then lad, don't whine about getting paid a fortune a week on a contract which you've signed under no illusions about where you'll be on the pecking order.

He's a cracking little player when he's on form and when he doesn't go missing. But he does go missing at times (usually games against teams who'll put their foot in). He's also inconsistent as ****. World beater when he's in the zone, but misses open goals when he's not.

As for the 'break Riera' - that's the Riera who was a jobbing pro who got into the Spanish team on the back of a lot of hard work which saw him cement a first team place? The Riera who then decided to stop working and got sent to train in the reserves for not training properly? The Riera who was then disciplined by the club for slapping about a team-mate? That's breaking a player? Kinell - some of these players need to get a grip and start to realise that natural talent is absolutely nothing without hard work. And if you're not working hard enough, then no manager worth his salt will let it ride.

Benitez' man-management may not be everyone's cup of tea but we've tried the 'mates turning up for training' thing at Anfield and we hated the results. Hugs and cuggles are all well and good but some of these players need to start treating things as professional athletes.

Lol at this story. I think I can speak for most Liverpool fans when I say I would take Rafa over Yossi any day of the week..

Shame we've lost both though. Have fun at Chelsea, personally I think he should have kept his/his agents moaning to himself because nobody cares..

How long before he starts moaning that he is a squad player at Chesea I wonder.

I actually saw something similar to this in Gerrard's autobiograpghy. He said all about how Rafa kept you on your toes about whether you'd be in the team or not, he'd make you didn't just relax because you had a good game. I imagine there is some truth in there, but Benayoun is just a ***** who can't take a bit of criticism and not someone who will just keep working harder to impress the manager, like Gerrard.

I don't see what he's moaning about. Rafa was making each and every one of them earn their spots through hard-work and consistency (I guess that's why he's quite fond of Kuyt). That's the norm, nobody can take their place for granted. If you don't impress, you're out. If you're not consistent enough, get ready to find a new club. What's he expecting at Chelsea? A guaranteed First Eleven spot from the get go?

grow some ******* balls yossi. More anti Rafa bullshit, the man isnt even at the club any more

Sounds like it has elements of truth in it, but also as if it has been embellished by both Yossi and the media. Hm.

Not making himself popular at Anfield for when he returns, jesus suck it up, he done it to everyone, you're suck a light-weight *****. At least Chelsea have to deal with this confidence player from here on

dont worry now yossi mate, we will look after you down at the bridge haha.

Lol, Everybody defending Rafa Benitez.

Maybe Yossi speaks the truth... If so, I can only feel sorry for him.

Dont know how much of this to belive but if true,it does not help the image of Rafa Benitez at all

Lol, Everybody defending Rafa Benitez.

Maybe Yossi speaks the truth... If so, I can only feel sorry for him.

Gump, how can you support Man City and Chelsea? They're from opposite ends of the country and are both competing for the top spots in the same division...

Gump, how can you support Man City and Chelsea? They're from opposite ends of the country and are both competing for the top spots in the same division...

I was wondering the exact same thing,looks like a glory supporter to me although how much more glory does he need if he supports Chelsea:D

@Topic:Lets Hope Yossi does well for Chelsea,maybe Ancelloti knows something about him that we dont

at the end ov the day you are going to get players slating managers and others loving them its just the way it goes. yossi i feel as an outsider was treated pretty badly at pool and was used as a bit part player and even though his performances were excellent most times he seemed to get over looked alot, so i cant blame him for sticking the knife in. although im sure some players i.e torres, gerrard etc wouldnt say a bad word about rafa.

well I cant say if Yossi will play much at all for Chelsea too,He was probably signed as a squad player and with rumours of Torres coming still circulating,you never know

well I cant say if Yossi will play much at all for Chelsea too,He was probably signed as a squad player and with rumours of Torres coming still circulating,you never know

yer thats all he will be a squad rotation player but in a team that just won the double thats all you can expect. for me the torres deal wont go ahead now he is proven to injury prone and wouldnt be worth the fee thats being talked about, i would much rather we sign sergio aguero.

It doesnt matter to me where they do locate. I used to be a fan of Chelsea, but when Man City came with their ambition and the ''not-so-good'' Squad they had, I left Chelsea as a ''Secondary'' if u can say so. It has been more thrilling to see Man City rising and thats why I fan City.

But now its more like just that Im happy if Chelsea wins something, but If Man City - Chelsea would decide the Premier League winner or some other competition's winner, Then it would be absolutely Man City who I Support.

Cant explain it better.

EDIT:

And what comes for Yossi's playin, I think he will make it to the First team, since Joe Cole left and it has left a ''hole''.

And tbh, For my opinion Torres will sign for Chelsea this summer. Too bad for City.

Last edited:

Money%20stacks.jpg

Back