Rafaloution over - Save 1 of 2 - Double save

Brane_Orsou

Reaction score
Rafael Benitez stay as Newcastle United manager will not be extended beyond the original 10 games after both he and Managing Director Lee Charnley failed to agree terms on a new 3 year contract.

View attachment 122253

Although initial discussions had been positive and press reports had suggested that a verbal deal had been agreed to keep the popular Spaniard on Tyneside, a late twist seems to have scuppered the deal and leaves the recently relegated Magpies without a manager as they look to try and pick up the pieces from last season’s relegation.

Whilst it was felt a number of first team players would look to move on from St James’ Park, it was believed that a number would be willing to stay and try to help the magpies bounce back at the first time of asking as they did back in 2009-2010 if Benitez was appointed. However with that now not the case the Geordie public are bracing themselves for a mass exodus of players, while Mike Ashley and Lee Charnley brace themselves for the backlash that is bound to come their way following a number of failures which many of the Toon Army had been willing to overlook subject to Rafa being appointed.

View attachment 122251

A brief statement was released by the club confirming that talks had broken down:

Newcastle United can confirm that following discussions with Rafael Benitez over the managers role, Rafa and the club have been unable to reach a mutual agreement. Rafa Benitez has therefore activated the break clause in his existing contract and will leave the club immediately. The club will now begin its search for a candidate to take the club forward as we look to regain our place in the English Premier League. A further announcement will be made in due course.
– Newcastle United @NUFC

View attachment 122250

It remains to be seen who the club will appoint now with a number of issues needing to be ironed out surrounding preseason and putting them at a disadvantage in the transfer market.

“Well that hardly surprises me.” I said to my family as we watched the breaking news on Sky Sports.

“They should have given Rafa everything he wanted to keep him at the club and not only steady the sinking ship but get it sailing on calmer waters for a change.” Replied my Dad

“Nothing surprises me about my Newcastle anymore, other than wondering why after so many broken promises and false dawns we still love them as much as I do.” Added my brother.

“Neil Warnock had recently joked that he would manage the club for £1m a year less than Rafa would, but if we are being silly, I’d manage them for free (ish). I’ve got my licences and everything the same as Warnock, just not the experience he has.” I said jokingly

“You should apply for the job!” said my brother, “yeah why don’t you?” added my Dad, “Let’s be honest, they aint going to get another manager the calibre of Rafa so you being a fan and a Geordie they may be interested and see it as a way to appease some of the fans. A manager who is one of their own etc etc.”

“Why not eh, should be worth a laugh to see what they put in my rejection letter if nothing else.”

“I’m on my way there now….Of course I’m nervous!”

A crazy few weeks or so had passed since it had emerged that Newcastle would be looking elsewhere for a manager following the failure to tie down Benitez. In that time, following some egging on/encouragement from my family I had sent in my application for the vacant managerial role outlining my plans for the club not only this season but in the long term whilst also trying to alleviate any fears or worries they have about me not having the “experience” of managing at the top level of football.

To my surprise and delight I had received a positive response from the club:

“Dear Neavie Pops,
Thank you for your recent application for the vacant managerial role along with your plans, ideas and targets for the club.​
Following a review of applications we would like to invite you to attend an interview to discuss your plans and ideas further. If you could contact our admin team on the contact number above, we can arrange a suitable time for all parties.​
Regards,​

Lee Charnley”

So here I am, standing in the reception area of Newcastle’s Benton HQ waiting to be called into my meeting. I’ve got everything crossed that I can somehow impress them enough to be given a chance, I never thought it possible when I first applied but now that I’m here I am determined so show the fight, character and determination that has been lacking at this club over recent season and prove why I am the man to take the club back to not only the Premier League, but to do something we’ve not done in my lifetime, lift some silverware!
“Nah, I’ve still not heard nowt, to be fair I wasn’t expecting a quick answer as they’ve got a number of applicants as you can imagine, but they said I’d here by the end of today and it’s getting on now.”

“Well maybe no news is good news.” “I doubt it Dad, you know what it’s like offering people a job, you offer it to your 1st​ choice and work backwards before letting everyone else, you don’t tell everyone else no before being sure you’ve got someone to fill the role.”

With that my phone started ringing. “Hello……yes this is Neavie Pops, hello Lee, How are you? Can you give me two minutes, I’m just going into the other room.

15 minutes later I returned to the living room, greeting by the faces of my family and family gawping at me.

“Well what did he say?”

“12 month contract on the table, I start now!”