Mordox

Reaction score
So my situation is that I've taken Gloucester City from BSB-N all the way up to Championship. This success has been reasonably easy to achieve, mainly through good transfers and some reasonable tactics which have let me beat teams a bit better than my squad would suggest.

Once I hit the Championship, I wasn't able to just scout a better tier of players and sign them. My clubs reputation was sitting around clubs in NPL1/NPL2, quite a way from Championship teams. My stadium needed renovations and I could only interest players with a PA of Championship level, so I set my sights on avoiding relegation for the year and hoped for better opportunities after that.

Well I managed to survive in the league, ended up being 10 points clear of relegation which I was thrilled about since I had a disastrous start. I lost a couple of good players in the offseason but had my wage budget increased from $60k to $80k with a transfer budget of around $1M.

The problem is that no one wants to play for me. I've been able to sign some younger players with a good PA but low CA, and that's really it. I actually have $20k wage budget left and $500k in my transfer budget but am unable to sign any players to improve the squad. My club reputation actually decreased this year and its sitting with NPL2/BSP teams! I can't figure it out since we sold more than 1600 season tickets which is a club record, finances are the best they've ever been and the board loves me - they just signed me to a 2 year extension off the back of a season where we spent almost half of it sitting dead last.

I can probably survive another year, but I don't know if I can really progress further without the club's reputation improving. I've re-signed all my decent players to 3+ year contracts and the squad is young so they should just get better with time. I might be able to finish in the top half after another year or two but I think promotion will be impossible without fresh faces.

I'm sure other people have had this problem. What can I do to increase my club's reputation? How can I get good players interested in playing for us? Do I just stick it out and hope things improve over the next couple of years?

2 factors you will need to get your reputation up

1. win cups

2. is your self as manager what is your status for example are you a sunday league manager or a international manager when you created your self?

Try to contract a few players who are transfer free for a while. They might be more interested to play for a team with lower reputation.

2 factors you will need to get your reputation up

1. win cups

2. is your self as manager what is your status for example are you a sunday league manager or a international manager when you created your self?
That's a good point, I haven't won any cups at all yet. Its 2018 right now, I can't actually remember what I set my status to when I started the game but I've been around in the game for a while now, and won a bunch of promotions.

Sounds like I should focus on winning a cup, or at least progressing through them a bit. I've always focused mainly on league performance.

Try to contract a few players who are transfer free for a while. They might be more interested to play for a team with lower reputation.
Yep I've snapped up as many free transfers as possible. It's just frustrating having so much left in the wage budget but only being able to sign players with a low CA but good PA. I've locked everyone into long contracts so I guess I'll just wait until they develop into a good team or somehow my reputation increases enough to sign players good enough to start.

On the plus side my board love me even more with all the money the club is accumulating.

You then should try to start using the press to build good relationships. Try to spot players you may want for upcoming seasons and praise them.