Rangers hit with 12 month transfer embargo.

Joel`

Reaction score
Rangers owner Craig Whyte has been banned for life from any involvement in Scottish football and a 12-month transfer embargo has been imposed on the club by the Scottish Football Association.

The two punishments came as a series of penalties handed out by the SFA on Monday night.

The transfer embargo strikes a massive blow to the floundering club, who have been in administration since February 14th and were deducted 10 points in the Scottish Premier League.

Fined

Rangers have also been fined a total of £160,000 while Whyte, who had already been deemed unfit to hold an official position in the game by the SFA, was handed fines totalling £200,000.

The SFA said their judicial panel would issue reasons for their findings in "early course" while both parties have three days to appeal following receipt of those reasons.

Duff and Phelps, joint administrators of Rangers Football Club, condemned the ruling as "draconian" in a statement on Monday night.

Paul Clark, joint administrator, said: "All of us working on behalf of the Club are utterly shocked and dismayed by the draconian sanctions imposed on Rangers in respect of these charges.

"It appears that on one hand the disciplinary panel accepted our central argument that responsibility for bringing the Club into disrepute lay with the actions of one individual - Craig Whyte - as is evident from the unprecedented punishment meted out to him.

"During this hearing the Club produced compelling evidence from a number of sources that following his takeover, Craig Whyte ran the Club in a thoroughly unaccountable manner, rather than adhering to a long-established and proper form of corporate governance.

"The thrust of the charges against the Club focused on non-payment of payroll taxes and evidence was produced that all such decisions in this area were taken by Craig Whyte during his tenure.

"Given this evidence, it is difficult to comprehend that the disciplinary panel has seen fit to effectively punish the Club even more heavily than Mr Whyte. As everyone knows, it has already been decided he is not a fit and proper person to run a football club and any further punishment on him will have little or no impact.

"However, for Rangers, a ban on signing players will seriously undermine the Club's efforts to rebuild after being rendered insolvent.
"Furthermore, we do not know how bidders for the Club will react to these sanctions and what affect they will have on their proposals.

"The Club has asked for full written reasons for these decisions and intend to appeal against the findings."

Whyte was defiant when asked for his reaction to the punishment on him and Rangers.

Joke

He said: "Tell me how it is going to affect me? I couldn't care less. It makes no difference to my life whatsoever - and good luck collecting the money.

"It's a joke.

"It is very harsh on Rangers. I am surprised at how harsh the SFA have been on a club which is going through tough times at the moment.

"Stewart Regan (chief executive) and Campbell Ogilvie (president) should resign and get out of Scottish football.

"The SFA want to kick Rangers when they are down and I hope people remember that. They are playing to the media."

Gers hit with punishments | Rangers News, Fixtures, Results, Transfers | Sky Sports

Sounds unbelievably harsh, will anyone want to buy them now?

About time RFC starts getting the same treatment as every other club in Scotland, instead of Alex Salmond offering to bail them out with public money etc.

They have a great training complex in Murray Park, they must have some good youngsters for the first team there.

Sounds unbelievably harsh, will anyone want to buy them now?

It's not harsh mate - it's a deserved punishment.

They have been bringing the game into disrepute and have now been sanctioned for it.

The thing that gets me, though, is that they are trying to play the victim in all of this but they only have themselves to blame. Whyte says it's a harsh punishment for a club that is going through tough times but they need to remember on WHY they are going through the tough times.

They have broken rules and brought the Scottish game into disrepute yet they are the ones that are hard done by? I don't think so.

As the saying goes - if you don't wanna do the time then don't do the crime.

It's not harsh mate - it's a deserved punishment.

They have been bringing the game into disrepute and have now been sanctioned for it.

The thing that gets me, though, is that they are trying to play the victim in all of this but they only have themselves to blame. Whyte says it's a harsh punishment for a club that is going through tough times but they need to remember on WHY they are going through the tough times.

They have broken rules and brought the Scottish game into disrepute yet they are the ones that are hard done by? I don't think so.

As the saying goes - if you don't wanna do the time then don't do the crime.

Not surprising to see a Celtic fan suggesting its justice and continuing the theme of kicking ranger's while they are down, but you know everyone's entitled to an opinion.

Not surprising to see a Celtic fan suggesting its justice and continuing the theme of kicking ranger's while they are down, but you know everyone's entitled to an opinion.

The reason celtic fans "kick rangers when they're down" is because they did the same to us. At least Celtic haven't gone as far as rangers did to us, and started sending wreathes every day to Ibrox. Basically what goes around comes around etc.

And I think every other club in Scotland has been happy with the ruling, its not just celtic, they still haven't payed back other clubs for players they bought. Clubs who I must add also have huge financial problems.

Its unbelieveably harsh because since the SFA are so incompetent and failed to do their job in making sure he was a fit and proper person , Whyte has got in and done some amount of damage to our club so the SFA are punishing the CLUB for one mans actions. Thats why its harsh. The SFA truely are a joke of an officiating body.

I have two things to ask:
1) i want to know why u find it harsh that rangers are being given a transfer embargo, they are, afterall in debt and this will help them because they wont be wasting their money on transfers.
And 2) why are there always such big rivals and why do u do sly things to each over. In germany bayern were and are massive rivals of borussia dortmund and 1860 munchen, but, when dortmund got into financual difficulty roughly 15 years ago, bayern bailed them out and when 1860 got into financual problems bayern also helped them.

1) Its harsh because it is the club that is being punished because of the actions of one man. Also when we went into administration all players took paycuts so the club would be able to last the season but in return , clauses were inserted with cut price fees in their contracts so they could move on in the summer if clubs matched these fees. So if we are to be taken over and exit dministration by agreeing a CVA , effectively clearing all debt our squad could be decimated and we cannot bring in any players over 18 , pretty much handicapping us.
2) There is a big difference between rivalry and hatred. Ovcourse Rangers v Celtic is a rivalry but there is such an intense hatred there you just wouldnt see the clubs helping each other like that. Dont get me wrong if Rangers go under it will effect Celtic and Scottish football for the worse.

Rangers have stolen £134m and used it to buy players they can't afford to achieve success. Everything they have won in the past 15-20 years has been won using players they bought with taxpayers' money. They haven't paid PAYE since Craig Whyte took over and owe £9m to HMRC as well as the big and small tax cases. They haven't paid for any player they have bought in the past two years or so. Hearts and Dunfermline have been unable to pay their players' wages due to not receiving money from RFC this season. Every club Rangers have knocked out of the Champions League qualifiers using players they did not pay for has had £10m stolen from them. Every club they beat on the way to the 2008 Uefa Cup final has been potentially denied a Uefa cup final spot. Every club who has came runners up to Rangers in the SPL, Scottish Cup and Scottish League Cup over this period has been robbed of a competition win. There is a number of family businesses close to going bust over money owed by RFC.

That's more or less the gist of it. A 12 month transfer embargo is injustice? The SFA are kicking RFC when they are down? Haha

The SFA should've waited til after the derby game to do this.

I have two things to ask:
1) i want to know why u find it harsh that rangers are being given a transfer embargo, they are, afterall in debt and this will help them because they wont be wasting their money on transfers.
And 2) why are there always such big rivals and why do u do sly things to each over. In germany bayern were and are massive rivals of borussia dortmund and 1860 munchen, but, when dortmund got into financual difficulty roughly 15 years ago, bayern bailed them out and when 1860 got into financual problems bayern also helped them.

This. But footballing culture in Germany does generally look better imo.

And Bayern actually understand the financial value of a club like Dortmund to themselves personally. Celtic fans don't seem to grasp that concept all too well from experience on here.

@Cai: Do you mean when Bayern loaned Dortmund like £15m? That's a completely different scenario to the one Rangers are in.

And let the media's incredibly bias coverage begin. They deserve their punishments, IMO, in fact, they probably deserve much harsher punishments then they recieved.

If Rangers need somebody to blame, look at Murray, he left them in the ****, in fact, Rangers were in so much **** that the only person who would even consider buying them was a total crook.

I do sympathise with the fans, although I didn't hear them complaining when they tried to drown themselves in debt under Advocat.. So, maybe I shouldn't sympathise at all.

Last edited:
I don't know the exact details of this case, but it seems that Rangers only have themselves to blame. As a neutral (in fact, I prefer Rangers over Celtic), I think that it is only fair if they get a fine as that is probably what the Scottish FA would do to other clubs. However, this will hit them badly; in terms of getting a new owner and the fact that some of the squad will leave and they can't sign anyone!

​- PZW

This. But footballing culture in Germany does generally look better imo.

And Bayern actually understand the financial value of a club like Dortmund to themselves personally. Celtic fans don't seem to grasp that concept all too well from experience on here.

German football understand that it needs successful rivals in order to grow. All for one and one for all, from youth to national team, to financial rules. They arent perfect but they understand that a healthy league is a growing league. The SFA, Rangers and Celtic dont. Which is why Rangers found it funny in the past and Celtic do now.

None of this is good for either clubs, or the league in trying to get anywhere.

German football understand that it needs successful rivals in order to grow. All for one and one for all, from youth to national team, to financial rules. They arent perfect but they understand that a healthy league is a growing league. The SFA, Rangers and Celtic dont. Which is why Rangers found it funny in the past and Celtic do now.

Were the circumstances between Bayern/Dortmund similar? I doubt Dortmund racked up their debt and put their future in danger to cheat Bayern out of titles and cups. I genuinely don't know though but I can't see why anyone would expect Celtic fans to feel sympathy. Surely as a Hearts fan you want them to get punished after they beat you in a Scottish Cup final and a League Cup final with players paid for with taxpayers' money?

Were the circumstances between Bayern/Dortmund similar? I doubt Dortmund racked up their debt and put their future in danger to cheat Bayern out of titles and cups. I genuinely don't know though but I can't see why anyone would expect Celtic fans to feel sympathy. Surely as a Hearts fan you want them to get punished after they beat you in a Scottish Cup final and a League Cup final with players paid for with taxpayers' money?

Mikes not a Hearts fan lol. Think thats Kris

I'm not a Hearts fan. I literally have no ties whatsover to any club in Scotland. Never said feel sympathy, but though they deserved to be punished, there really isnt any joy as all it does is hurt the league, and which turn can hurt Celtic in the longer term.

Also just because you are a fan of one club doesn't change the facts of the situation.

******* **** so it is my bad ahah

obviously me being a Celtic fan hugely influences my view on this but even if I wasn't it's still wrong for RFC to go unpunished for what they done just because of what they bring to the league. Especially when teams like Gretna, Livingstone have been punished recently for less

The way everyone's talking about this confuses me also, do any of you think this really will be the end of Rangers? People are talking that way but only last week McCoist said the best case scenario for them would be to be bought over and have their youth team competing for a top 6 finish. This can still happen, no? Or is it to do with them being able to sell players

******* **** so it is my bad ahah

obviously me being a Celtic fan hugely influences my view on this but even if I wasn't it's still wrong for RFC to go unpunished for what they done just because of what they bring to the league. Especially when teams like Gretna, Livingstone have been punished recently for less

The way everyone's talking about this confuses me also, do any of you think this really will be the end of Rangers? People are talking that way but only last week McCoist said the best case scenario for them would be to be bought over and have their youth team competing for a top 6 finish. This can still happen, no? Or is it to do with them being able to sell players

Lack of players, hurts their quality etc. But the whole idea of one of the big clubs in scotland going through this is very bad for the league.

Dont get me wrong, i agree they should be punished. But i just dont think its something to be celebrated.

It will impact them being bought/reborn etc. It could be very far ranging. That is the real worry, and that's where the people are saying about the "harsh punishment". But we'll have to see. It "could" be the end, or they can come through, we just have to let it play out.

Agree with you. Both Celtic and Rangers need each other if they want the league to keep growing. If Rangers were to somehow fall then it will have a huge negative impact on Celtic too. Dont seem to understand why Celtic fans are actually happy about the demise for both footballing and financial purposes

Good example will be Real Madrid and Barcelona. If one was to fail then the other would surely be overwhelming favourites to woin the league which will in-fact decrease the quality of the league etc.