Rangers takeover complete

Shay Given

Banned
Reaction score
Craig Whyte has finally acquired a majority shareholding in Rangers after a lengthy takeover process.

The buy-out sees Whyte take 85.3 per cent of shares in the club and replace Sir David Murray's Murray International Holdings (MIH) as majority shareholder.

In a statement released to the stock exchange on Friday evening it was confirmed that Wavetower, a company owned by Whyte, had completed the purchase of MIH's shares.

The statement read: "Wavetower is pleased to announce that it has today acquired 92,842,388 ordinary shares, representing approximately 85.3% of the issued share capital in The Rangers Football Club PLC (the "Club"), for a consideration of GBP1.

"Wavetower acquired its interest in the Club (the "Acquisition") from Murray MHL Limited.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11781_6917157,00.html
Development

"The Acquisition would ordinarily have required Wavetower to make a general offer in cash under Rule 9 of the Takeover Code to all other shareholders in the Club but, as the consideration paid by Wavetower for the shares acquired is GBP1, the Takeover Panel has granted Wavetower a dispensation from making such an offer.

"Wavetower intends to post a circular to the Club's shareholders by 16th May, 2011 containing background information on Wavetower and other relevant information.

"Wavetower intends to maintain the club's listing on PLUS Markets for a minimum of 12 months from the date of this announcement.

"Wavetower is 100 per cent owned by Liberty Capital, a company which is ultimately owned by Craig Whyte.

"Craig is a lifelong Rangers supporter and is very much looking forward to guiding and assisting Rangers in its development over the coming years."

Last edited:
Congratulations are in order, I guess. Good luck and hope this brings some financial stability.

Clearing the club's debt and plans to invest some cash, can only be a good thing on paper.

What a great day it was, The debts cleared we can finally tie up contracts and look forward to the new season with no money problems,. Bigger squad :D Good times.

What a great day it was, The debts cleared we can finally tie up contracts and look forward to the new season with no money problems,. Bigger squad :D Good times.
I think you and other Rangers fans are overestimating the takeover tbh. He wont clear all the debts, many of the contracts still wont be singed (i.e. Bougera sp) and there is still the impending tax case so depending on that there could still be money problems.
I have heard Rangers fans raving on about players such as benayoun and bentley realistically you still wont get any better players than lower prem & championship players.

Whyte has been quoted as saying 5 players will be brought in, is that really enough though?

Win the league this season then get some players with Champions League experience into the club

I think you and other Rangers fans are overestimating the takeover tbh. He wont clear all the debts, many of the contracts still wont be singed (i.e. Bougera sp) and there is still the impending tax case so depending on that there could still be money problems.
I have heard Rangers fans raving on about players such as benayoun and bentley realistically you still wont get any better players than lower prem & championship players.

Whyte has been quoted as saying 5 players will be brought in, is that really enough though?

I agree, I think they are getting a little a head of themselves. My mate is quite weary already, he thinks Whyte should have held his own press conference to state his intentions and was a bit insulted he didn't wear the traditional Rangers tie on Saturday.

Can't be worse than Romanov anyway...:(

Bit late with this, but meh. Anyways, see what you're saying, but I think that whilst Whyte himself might not invest that much, but we'll get whatever money we got for selling players, and Champions league money to re invest in the squad. Whereas before of course, it was being put towards the debt. As part of the deal btw, as far as I'm aware, he's cleared all the debts :)

Bit late with this, but meh. Anyways, see what you're saying, but I think that whilst Whyte himself might not invest that much, but we'll get whatever money we got for selling players, and Champions league money to re invest in the squad. Whereas before of course, it was being put towards the debt. As part of the deal btw, as far as I'm aware, he's cleared all the debts :)

Yes yous are back to being a normal club that can use there money they make, but yous will certainly not be spending crazy amounts. He certainly wont clear all the debts in one go, he will clear a large chunk and then pay in instalments.

How many Rangers clubs can you buy for one Fernando Torres?;p 50,000,000, **** straight!;p