Rangers To Go into Scottish 3rd Division

ajt09

Nice Guy Gramps
Reaction score
Rangers newco have been voted into Division Three following a meeting of Scottish Football League clubs. The SFL clubs met at Hampden Park on Friday to vote on the fate of Charles Green's Sevco Scotland Limited, who were refused admission into the Clydesdale Bank Premier League. It is thought the Scottish Football Association and Scottish Premier League had offered a reorganisation of the structure if Rangers were placed in Division One.

But a majority of the 30 SFL clubs voted the Rangers newco should start in the bottom tier.

Dundee who asked not to vote are set to be asked to take the place of Rangers in the SPL. Airdrie who abstained from the vote will be promoted from Division Three after the Lanarkshire club lost out in the end of season play-off final to Dumbarton for promotion to the First Division.

(Sky Sports News)

I’d love to say that justice has been done, but it hasn’t. I am delighted that the SFL clubs have refused to bow down to pressure or be intimidated by the SPL and he SFA’s doomsday theories. Cuts will have to be made, no doubt about it but integrity comes first.

The likes of Elgin, Peterhead and Annan had to apply to join the SFL and were then interviewed, as well as other candidates as to why they should be admitted and then there was a vote. Rangers have been given an automatic entry, although I believe 29/30 voted in favour of admitting them into the leagues.

I am sure they will try and find some way to overrule this decision but it’s the right one in my eyes.

P.S – If anyone at Rangers is reading this, I am more than welcome to sign for you, with having next to no players, I am sure I’ll do a job. Plus I can’t be any worse than David Healy?

Rangers deserve to be in the bottom tier, it is only fair to the other teams. However, this will severely damage Scottish Football. Lets be honest, Celtic and Rangers made Scottish football, the Old Firm was the only match alot of neutrals really took an interest in, it was also televised and because of this gained money for Scottish Football

I worry for Scottish football even more now, It will simply be How many points will Celtic win the league by

Glad this finally happened - I must admit I feared that the chairmen would follow the pound signs and vote in favour of Rangers but this hasnt happened. Peeps say it could be the death of Scottish football but Scottish football has been dying a very slow painful death for years now.

Just leaves Celtic and Aberdeen never to have been relegated now!

This could be a blessing in disguise, it gives other teams in Scotland a chance to shine and progress..

Does any one know what's actually happening with the structure then?
I thought that Dundee were already set to take place in the SPL, yet it's been reported that they "are set to be asked to take the place of Rangers in the SPL", which wouldn't make sense at all.

Rangers put in third division | Rangers News, Fixtures, Results, Transfers | Sky Sports

BBC Sport - Rangers: SFL clubs vote new club into Division Three

Ross County got promoted and Dundee finished second so naturally they replace Rangers.

There was talk of a play off between Dundee and Dunfermline (relegated from SPL) to see who takes the last SPL space but I don't think that will take place. It is better for Dunfermline to play in the first division this season anyway having already prepared for that.

I'm a bit gutted the structure of the leagues wont change, was looking forward to a new structure.

However, one good thing has come out of this and that is a nice Ranger challenge in FM 2013 :D

The right call in term of justice. But unless they restructure it's a hammer blow for the state of the game in Scotland.

The Scottish games needed changing since Sir David Murray pumped Rangers full of money in the late eighties and 90's and bought all those titles (stopping clubs such as Dundee Utd and Aberdeen winning the title in the process), made it completley uncompetitive. Hopefully this decision will be fuel for change.

Hoping the competitveness League improves (at least for the european places), and perhaps more importantly sparks some improvement in the National side. Clubs should start putting more money into their youth teams and bringing through some good scottish talent.

Heard a few times, that the SFA/ SPL might change the decision, and allow Rangers back in somehow.

My sympathies are for the innocent parties in this whole sorry saga. Thanks to unscrupolous people, people will have their livelihood ruined.

Is there any chance of a download with rangers in the 3rd division?

The Scottish games needed changing since Sir David Murray pumped Rangers full of money in the late eighties and 90's and bought all those titles (stopping clubs such as Dundee Utd and Aberdeen winning the title in the process), made it completley uncompetitive. Hopefully this decision will be fuel for change.

Hoping the competitveness League improves (at least for the european places), and perhaps more importantly sparks some improvement in the National side. Clubs should start putting more money into their youth teams and bringing through some good scottish talent.

Heard a few times, that the SFA/ SPL might change the decision, and allow Rangers back in somehow.

The league needs restructuring. 2 20-team divisions. SFA and SPL need to stop living in a cave, or watch their game really die. This a hammer blow, but it can actually come out stronger IF handled properly. Although given the way they handled this, I'm not convinced.

I'm gutted it wasn't Celtic instead of Rangers lol.....plus what's happening about who is taking Rangers' place....will Dumfermline stay up or will Dundee become promoted??

I'm gutted it wasn't Celtic instead of Rangers lol.....plus what's happening about who is taking Rangers' place....will Dumfermline stay up or will Dundee become promoted??

Most likely Dundee will get promoted and Dunfermline will stay in First Division

From an 'integrity' POV it's the right thing to happen, but from a realistic POV it's going to kill the game up there. Inverness Cali Thistle have already announced crisis meetings for Monday. Most clubs up there (ie anyone but Celtic, maybe Hearts, and until recently Rangers) were on a financial knife edge as it is. The TV rights are up at the end of the current season. Unless Rangers are back in the top tier by then, I can see at least 4-5 clubs going to the wall.

But I'm looking forward to FM2013 as a result. Never played the SPL before :D

This was definitely the right thing to do, I don't feel any sympathy for Rangers (Maybe for the fans). Of course RAngers provided SPL teams with much needed income, but now that they are 3 divisions lower, it just means teams have to tighten up a bit. Sell Players, lower their wage budgets, play their youth players (Which can be good for the future for Scottish football)- Anything to keep the clubs afloat.

By the way I am a Raith Rovers fan (2nd tier) an Turnbull Hutton, our director was the first to openly oppose the inclusion of Rangers in the 2nd tier.

Rangers are my second team. Half my family reside in Paisley, Cardonald etc. and you're right. People have been drawing comparisons with Portsmouth down here, but it's a completely different situation. Rangers have folded. It's a new club effectively, although the fans will rightfully hang on to their history.

My view is that the SPL has long been a two horse race, and without Rangers in the top tier, TV money, sponsorships etc are going to take a big hit.

That being so, you're absolutely right that it will benefit in the long run. Finding and developing Scottish youth will be the focus in years to come. That's only going to improve the national side, and a few years down the road, clubs will pick up big money from those players making moves abroad. The talent is definitely there, just needs developing.

My team just bought a lad called Danny Swanson from Dundee, and from what I've heard I'm raring to see him. Provided he stays fit, which he hasn't been lucky with I hear.

Heard this myself but in all honesty if they done that then they will just infuriate the fans of the game and I think they will just stay away because the majority of them will just not see the point in going when it;s rigged to help a new club that way.

The league needs restructuring. 2 20-team divisions. SFA and SPL need to stop living in a cave, or watch their game really die. This a hammer blow, but it can actually come out stronger IF handled properly. Although given the way they handled this, I'm not convinced.

Well you have the right idea but 20 is way too much. We only have 32 clubs in the SPL/SFA. The idea of having a 16 team SPL is the best option in my opinion. The first division is full of former SPL sides that are dying a slow death, simply because there isn't any money in the lower leagues.