Ranges hold talks with Kris Commons

Gaffer

Reaction score
Walter Smith has confirmed that Rangers are in talks to sign Derby County and Scotland winger Kris Commons.

The 27-year-old is out of contract in the summer and has yet to agree a new contract at Pride Park.

"He's someone we are interested in trying to get. We've made an enquiry and we are in talks with Derby to see what the situation is," said Smith.

The Rangers manager is keen to bolster his squad following the sale of striker Kenny Miller to Bursaspor.

Rangers agreed a £400,000 deal with the Turkish outfit rather than run the risk of losing Miller for nothing in the summer.

And the Ibrox club are hoping to recruit Mansfield-born Commons, who started his career with Stoke City and moved to Derby from Nottingham Forest in 2008, before the end of the January transfer window.

It's the same as Kenny Miller with him being out of contract in the summer," Smith added, stressing that negotiations were being handled by his chief executive.

"I don't do the deals, Martin Bain carries out that job.

"He was in discussion with them this morning, but I've not had anything back yet."

Smith had previously stated he was keen to add two loans signings - a forward player and a defender - until the end of the season following Miller's departure.

As far as Smith is concerned, Commons fits the bill and the manager said: "It's important, with us having a small squad of players, if we do get a player in, that he can play in more than one position. Kris can do that."

Rangers' finances could be improved if their former midfielder, Charlie Adam, completes a transfer from Blackpool, who have already rejected bids from Liverpool, Aston Villa and Birmingham City.

However, Smith admits he has no idea whether he would be given any of the cash to spend on new players.

"We would certainly get a percentage of the transfer fee, but where that money would go, I don't know," said the Rangers manager.

Meanwhile, Smith played down talk of bringing Scotland striker Kris Boyd back to Ibrox on loan from Middlesbrough, or a move for Spanish forward Nacho Novo, who moved to Sporting Gijon in the summer.

"It's a simple one, that one," said Smith when asked about Boyd's possible return.
"We couldn't afford to pay the money that Middlesbrough were paying last season and we are still in that position where we can't afford to pay it now."

On Novo, he added: "Whatever we are going to do in the transfer market between now and it finishing, we will do.

"There has been enough speculation at the moment."

Original Article.

Personally I'd be delighted to have him.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW. Walter, signing a left winger, no fuggin' way :O

People rave on about him, but to be honest he goes on for long spells in matches not offering the team anything in attack, and never offers anything in defence.

If you bid a decent amount i would be happy for him to go, as of the 3 seasons he has been here he has spent most of that time on the treatment table and we cant really afford his £15k a week wages.

Wouldn't get too excited, don't rate him that highly

I think Commons is quite overrated as a player, Luke is right that for 95% of the game he doesn't offer much, and he is 27 so he should be peaking when he isn't.

I'd be very happy to have him at Ibrox |)

He's good when he's fit. I wouldn't mind keeping hold of him, but he isn't worth £15k+ wages per match.
Teams in the Championship have caught on that he's our biggest attacking threat (certainly without Kuqi any more).

The guy only plays well when he wants a new contract or wants a move to a new club hence him playing well lately. Greedy guy

The guy only plays well when he wants a new contract or wants a move to a new club hence him playing well lately. Greedy guy

He's not been playing well lately, he's been ****.

I'm not too bothered really, He would have been a great signing but mehh. NOt a big loss. Everytime Celtic have beat us to a signing hes turned out a flop or hasn't had the chance to prove himself so heres hoping its the same this time.

Decent signing for the money paid. Could be doing with a centre half first though :(