Rant about two of the best Strikers in the world

Craig01

Reaction score
So, playing as Liverpool. My strike force is; Torres, Huntelaar, Lewandowski, with N'Gog and R.Keane as back up, who to be fair, haven't had a game yet. After 15 games collectively they have a Premiership goal scoring record of...wait for it...4 goals. I've got most goals coming from the midfield which I haven't got a problem with, but with the world class quality from those, especially Torres and Huntelaar, its rediculous!

Torres: 2
Lewandowski: 2
Huntelaar: 0

I just keep on drawing my games with 5 games and no goals at all. Yeah fair enough I'm keeping clean sheets but I should be winning these games with 2 goal margins.

I need some advice guys, I've reverted back to 4-4-2 for a simple passing attacking game.

Heres my squad:
-----------------------------------
------Lewandowski--Torres---------
Babel--Alonso--Gerrard--Pennant
Aurelio--Skrtl--Carragher--Dossena
---------------Reina---------------

Substitutes:
Arbeloa, Agger, Hyypia, Degen, Insua
Lucas, Veloso, Fernandez, Riera, Mascherano
Huntelaar, N'Gog, Keane

So how do you propose I can get these guys working properly together, it seems like we're just missing too many chances and when they have one on one opportunities they just mess them up or whack it over the bar. I've got Torres working on beating the offside trap but ****, will that even do much? Can you give me any tips about giving them free roles, who to play on what side, any advice really would help, I cant keep drawing otherwise I'll get sacked in next to no time.

Best advice about tactics is in the TT&F download.

It's not your players. As you've guessed it's how you've got your team set up. Try a tactics set such as Lee's Liverpool Tactics to see how the TT&F is put into practice. However, it may take a few games for your team to get used to playing a different way.

really quality wingers would help. every top striker loves to feed off of good wing play, and even though torres and huntelaar arent renowed as the best headers of a ball (lewandowski becomes very good in the air), they are still pretty good. decent wingers also allow you to play a wider game, stretching the oppostions defence and allowing torres that small amount of space he needs to skin his man and tap the ball home. also with width in mind maybe your full backs are too defensive (you mention alot of clean sheets) get them to bomb down the wing a bit (a la bosingwa before christmas) and go for a more attacking approach. you may find you conced more but with the kind of firepower you have you should outscore most teams

i would say clear out all the dead wood and invest in some real top notch widemen.

maybe set the pacier strikers, torres, keane.. to 'target man' and the target man supply to - run onto the ball'

i wouldnt advise giving anyone else in the liverpool team except gerrard a free role, so idont think thats thje problem.

and also dont neglect coahing and training. get yourself a top attacking and a top technical coach and (if you havent already) set a strikers training schedule with shooting on intensive, aerobic and strentgh to medium to high, tactics high, goalkeeping and defending none and the rest medium.

play huntelaar as a target man and get torres making the foward runs, from looking at your squad there it looks like you doing it the other way round so its not as effective.

really quality wingers would help. every top striker loves to feed off of good wing play, and even though torres and huntelaar arent renowed as the best headers of a ball (lewandowski becomes very good in the air), they are still pretty good. decent wingers also allow you to play a wider game, stretching the oppostions defence and allowing torres that small amount of space he needs to skin his man and tap the ball home. also with width in mind maybe your full backs are too defensive (you mention alot of clean sheets) get them to bomb down the wing a bit (a la bosingwa before christmas) and go for a more attacking approach. you may find you conced more but with the kind of firepower you have you should outscore most teams

i would say clear out all the dead wood and invest in some real top notch widemen.

maybe set the pacier strikers, torres, keane.. to 'target man' and the target man supply to - run onto the ball'

i wouldnt advise giving anyone else in the liverpool team except gerrard a free role, so idont think thats thje problem.

and also dont neglect coahing and training. get yourself a top attacking and a top technical coach and (if you havent already) set a strikers training schedule with shooting on intensive, aerobic and strentgh to medium to high, tactics high, goalkeeping and defending none and the rest medium.

I'm currently Liverpool and have Torres scoring plenty of goals,he plays the lone striker with the ball played in behind for him to use his pace and get on to pass and usually finishes with aplomb! I have 3 players in a free role GERRARD,MASCH,ALONSO!! Also sort out your set pieces corners,free kicks etc. Carragher has played 12 and scored 5goals!!

Thanks for the quick responses guys, I will be looking at your points closely.

I did actually have my full backs set to run up the wing and they were doing it fantastically when I was playing a narrow formation at the very start of the season but my team just lacked the end product. Although I will set that up again and see how they get going with my current formation. As you can see I retrained Dossenna to play on the right as my right wingers were all injured so I will be investing in a new one come the transfer window.

Indeed, I think I need to get rid of Riera and Pennant and bring in two world class wingers.

Yeah I have been setting Torres as my target man and had run onto the ball as the setting for the target man, I think I need to invest in someone like Cardozo who can header the ball, and get rid of Keane.

Will do, what are the main attributes for a player in the free-role to have?

Yup i'm using Tugs training and have all 7 star coaches apart from Set Pieces, so not got a problem there.

I'll also have a look at what you said Gary, would you suggest setting the target man for Huntelaar to "to the feet"?

Edit: That actually looks interesting Wilster. Have you got any tips for me in terms of settings for corners and free kicks?

Last edited:
i think most would agree that mascherano isnt the type of player who should be given a free role. his creative stats arent up to scratch. agree with everything else though. and your formation looks pretty sexy, although only gerrard, kaka, aguero and a handful of others are truly suited to the role that gerrard plays in your formation

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

wouldnt advise giving anyone else in the liverpool team except gerrard a free role, so idont think thats thje problem.

Will do, what are the main attributes for a player in the free-role to have?

creativity, flair, technique, decisions, off the ball, (obv they have to be a decent dribller finisher passer etc) but the mental stats are king for playmakers in a free role

So what about giving a striker a free role, what would that allow him to do?

Thanks for the quick responses guys, I will be looking at your points closely.

I'll also have a look at what you said Gary, would you suggest setting the target man for Huntelaar to "to the feet"?

Edit: That actually looks interesting Wilster. Have you got any tips for me in terms of settings for corners and free kicks?

set huntellar to 'mixed' because hes good at all catergories.

he would have more creative freedom, so he wouldnt stick to your tactics as much.

if you told him to hold up the ball, or he was set to target man run on to ball he wouldnt be following these instructions as strictly. basically he will play the game by ear and do things his own way. with top top players it works, but for me only torres, rooney, aguero, david villa, van persie, del piero, totti and possibly ibrahimovic are the type of player capable of doing this. you would also find your striker out of position more as he looks to influence the game form different areas of the pitch.

but beware of having too many free roles in your team as this means your tactics become less and less effective. the same applies with the 'creative freedom' sliding button. i keeep mine pretty far laft for all but my midfield creator (max) wingers(normal) strikers (slightly to the right)

Last edited:
Ah ha, you guys seem to have hit the nail on the head;

Wigan away; 3-0; Gerrard, Torres, Torres
Middlesborough away; 2-1; Torres, Huntelaar

That's with Gerrard and Torres with the free role and Huntelaar holding up the ball as the target man with, as Gary said, mixed balls getting sent to him.

Looking good so far guys, will keep you updated!

Ah ha, you guys seem to have hit the nail on the head;

Wigan away; 3-0; Gerrard, Torres, Torres
Middlesborough away; 2-1; Torres, Huntelaar

That's with Gerrard and Torres with the free role and Huntelaar holding up the ball as the target man with, as Gary said, mixed balls getting sent to him.

Looking good so far guys, will keep you updated!

lookin good mate.

as soon as you get the balance between your players and tactics/formation spot on then thats when your team will perform

too many attacking players will equal what? getting caught on counter and being out-numbered or play too defensive your team are going to get hammered

once you've mastered that you team are unstoppable.

Just played Tottenham at Anfield, Torres didn't have too good of a game but switched him with Lewandowski 70 minutes in and on 90 minutes he flicked one on to Huntelaar and he scored...but it was offside :( Then...final minute of stoppage time, Reina's goal kick got to Lewandowski who headered it onto Huntelaar and he ran round the keeper and smashed it in - 1-0 full time :D

You can set any player as a Target Man, I sometimes set my wingers as Target men when playing against teams who play narrow or 352. Get it into their feet and let them do the rest.

Willster

for starters y is dossena at rb?!

pennant still getting a game! no mascherano?!

for starters y is dossena at rb?!

pennant still getting a game! no mascherano?!

I've retrained Dossena to play RB as well because at one time all of my right backs were injured and he was already semi-able to play there, and now he's fantastic there and a first team regular at RB.

And Pennant rarely even gets on my subs now, he moans too much and doesn't perform and will be getting rid of him at the end of the season.

Mascherano is being played now regularly along side Gerrard and is playing fantastic, man marking the opposition's playmaker.

I think it was a lucky match but I beat Middlesborough 7-2 yesterday which was a fantastic result. I say lucky though as I lost the next game to Tottenham 2-0!

I'm currently Liverpool and have Torres scoring plenty of goals,he plays the lone striker with the ball played in behind for him to use his pace and get on to pass and usually finishes with aplomb! I have 3 players in a free role GERRARD,MASCH,ALONSO!! Also sort out your set pieces corners,free kicks etc. Carragher has played 12 and scored 5goals!!

Could you post your tactic? i guess you play quick balls to torres?

In my opinion with Liverpool youd be best served to sell Babel and Alonso, use that money to acquire top notch wingers. Then play Torres and Keane up front with Gerrard and Mascherano at CM and your newly bought wingers at winger.