lessthanjake

Reaction score
Obviously a player's potential ability is given by their PA. However, as far as I know, PA only in some way measures how much in total stats a player can have. Thus, not all PAs are created equal. For instance, if you have two strikers and one has a bunch of his limited points in tackling, marking, and long throws, while the other has those same points in finishing, off the ball, and acceleration, then the second striker will be the more effective player.

For this reason, the FMRTE program shows you CA and PA scores but also two things they call "Potential Rating" and "Current Rating." From what I gather, Current Rating is measured by weighting the various attributes a player has based on his position and using that to rank how good he is at his position. I believe Potential Rating is calculated by taking the current attributes and assuming that the remainder of the player's potential is filled optimally based on the weights. In this way, the striker with points in defensive attributes will have lower ratings than the striker with points in more useful things.

Granted, the weights for each position are somewhat arbitrary and I do have some minor disagreements with them (and you can see and change the weights in settings). Still though, they are very good representations of what is important for each position.

In any case, this made me wonder. There are a ton of -9 potential players, but not all of them are equally good even though they have the same PA range. This is frequently because some of them have their stats allocated in better places than others. Because of this, I have made an attempt to quantify which of these players actually has the best potential to be effective at each position. I did this by setting every -9 player I know of (I used a list I found on this forum) to a 180 PA, the max they can have, and then ranked the resulting Potential Ratings of the best of these players at each position. I will list these rankings below. Bear in mind that I think there is something of a bias in favor of less developed players. This is because I think the Potential Rating assumes they fill up the rest of their potential optimally. This doesn't really ever end up happening so the less developed a player is, the more of their rating is being unrealistically assumed to be filled that way. In any case, though, the bias isn't THAT pervasive, because the rankings aren't just a list of the least developed -9 players.

The rest of this talks about players' PAs specifically so it's under spoiler tags:

Here are the rankings for each general position. I wish I could’ve been more specific such as specifying AMR, AMC, or AML, but while FMRTE has separate ratings for those, there’s no search method that arranges by those. I have included some well-known players as reference points (but not EVERY veteran player that might be in the range of the rankings) for how good some of these players can be, as well as the single -10 player Aaron Ramsey at 200 PA. I also tried to only list players in their natural position even if they could be trained to another one. I hope these rankings will inform people of who some of the best young players are.

Central Defender

[FONT=&quot]1. Pichu Atienza (91.25%)
2. Sezer Ozmen (90.41%)
[/FONT]
3. Jorge Pulido (89.29%)
4. Darnel Situ (89.14%)
5. Jordan Spence (88.91%)
6. Phil Jones (87.98%)
7. Roderick Miranda (87.86%)
8. Sebastian Toro (87.4%)
9. Raphael Varane (87.39%)
10. Kyriakos Papadopoulos (87.23%)
11. Walter Samuel (86.98%)
12. Giorgio Chiellini (86.62%)
13. Dedryck Boyata (86.36%)
14. Lucas Zen (85.78%)
15. Nemanja Vidic (85.56%)
16. Danny Wilson (85.56%)
17. Marc Muniesa (85.1%)
18. Mateo Musacchio (85.07%)
19. Nicolas Otamendi (85.06%)
20. Leonel Galeano (84.68%)
21. John Terry (84.47%)

Left Defender
1. Jack Robinson (85.79%)
2. Atila Turan (84.52%)
3. Lucas Digne (84.41%)
4. Nathan Baker (81.51%)
5. Fabio (81.29%)
6. Gael Clichy (79.75%)
7. Domenico Criscito (79.08%)

Right Defender
1. Romario (86.33%)
2. Serge Aurier (83.17%)
3. Dennis Appiah (83.05%)
4. Wes Brown (80.98%)
5. Rafael (80.64%)
6. Maicon (79.57%)
7. Sergio Ramos (79.29%)
8. Vedran Corluka (79.01%)
9. Darijo Srna (78.51%)
10. Philip Lahm (78.43%)

Defensive Midfielder
1. Lorenzo Crisetig (88.89%)
2. Adrien (85.62%)
3. Javier Mascherano (84.26%)
4. Sami Khedira (83.76%)
5. Tobias Figueiredo (83.57%)
6. Necip Uysal (82.81%)
7. Daniele de Rossi (82.53%)
8. Franco Zuculini (82.5%)
9. Moussa Sissoko (82.47%)
10. Nampalys Mendy (82.1%)

Central Midfielder
1. Aaron Ramsey (89.71%)
2. Kevin (87.83%)
3. Xavi (86.82%)
4. Zakaria Labyad (86.04%)
5. Jonjo Shelvey (85.97%)
6. Andres Iniesta (85.85%)
7. Adrien (85.62%)
8. Cesc Fabregas (84.46%)
9. Josh McEachran (84.31%)
10. Tomas Harava (83.89%)
11. David Alaba (83.68%)
12. Ouasim Bouy(83.68%)

Attacking Midfielder
1. Mateo Kovacic (88%)
2. Alan Patrick (86.43%)
3. Paulo Henrique (86.42%)
4. Coutinho (86.26%)
5. Davide Petrucci (86.16%)
6. Kaka (85.97%)
7. Clement Grenier (85.76%)
8. Wendel (85.56%)
9. Mesut Ozil (85.5%)
10. Daniel Pacheco (85.46%)
11. Georginio Wijnaldum (85.22%)
12. Thorgan Hazard (85.08%)
13. Denis (84.97%)
14. Lionel Messi (84.96%)
15. Zezinho (84.76%)
16. Miralem Pjanic (84.41%)

Striker
1. Jese (86.59%)
2. Marko Maletic (85.98%)
3. Borja Baston (85.68%)
4. Tiago Alves (85.21%)
5. Sergio Araujo (84.84%)
6. Ishak Belfodil (84.59%)
7. Piotr Parzyszek (84.04%)
8. Khouma Babacar (83.8%)
9. Cristiano Ronaldo (83.71%)
10. Harry Kane (83.41%)
11. Wayne Rooney (83.36%)
12. Amine (83.25%)
13. Romelu Lukaku (83.16%)
14. Nassim Ben Khalifa (82.94%)
15. Martin Galvan (82.93%)
16. Sergio Aguero (82.92%)
17. Iker Muniain (82.9%)

Now we have to bear in mind that, as I said, when you train a guy, he is not going to develop perfectly optimally. Therefore, over time, as they aren’t trained perfectly, their Potential Rating goes down. Thus, a player with a really low CA now will end up having their Potential Rating go down more over time as they reach their PA than another guy with a higher starting CA. So you must weigh the current Potential Rating against how low their CA is now if you wanna truly know where their potential ultimately lies.

Because of this, my gut feeling is that the following players will become the best players in the end:

Central Defenders:
Pichu Atienza
Sezer Ozman
Phil Jones
Sebastian Toro
Mateo Musacchio

Left Defenders:
Atila Turan
Fabio

Right Defenders:
Romario
Serge Aurier
Rafael

Defensive Midfielders:
Lorenzo Crisetig
Adrien

Central Midfielders:
Aaron Ramsey
Kevin
Adrien

Attacking Midfielders:
Coutinho
Alan Patrick
Georginio Wijnaldum

Strikers:
Jese
Borja Baston
Ishak Belfodil
Khouma Babacar
Romelu Lukaku
Iker Muniain

EDIT: Bear in mind that I KNOW the PAs of -9 players are randomly set between 150 and 180. So in the end, if one guy has a 180 and guy was given a 150, the 180 guy will almost certainly end up better. My point was simply to gauge who is best out of these players if they all had the same PA (ie. if you don't know the PAs, which player is the best bet).

Last edited:
Great work, will be sure to consult this when looking for young, non-regen talent.

i appreciate the work that went into this, but the rules of the forum state that spoilers need to be used when stating PA unfortunately, please edit the post :) thank you...

Last edited:
Nice work. There is just 1 thing i would want to comment on. As you said you look only at the stats that are key to a players position, and put all the other stats in the "unwanted" category. I don't agree. While key stats for a position are the most important ones, i think stats like determination, teamwork, workrate, natural fitness etc. are also important. You may have a player that has great key stats for his position, compared to a player who's key stats are a bit less developed, but with high determination, teamwork,... the 2nd player is probably going to do a better job for you. But still your list does come in handy to look for good non-regens for a certain position.

Last edited:
i appreciate the work that went into this, but the rules of the forum state that spoilers need to be used when stating PA unfortunately, please edit the post
smile.gif
thank you...p.

Put spoiler tags in the part that has players names.

Nice work. There is just 1 thing i would want to comment on. As you said you look only at the stats that are key to a players position, and put all the other stats in the "unwanted" category. I don't agree. While key stats for a position are the most important ones, i think stats like determination, teamwork, workrate, natural fitness etc. are also important. You may have a player that has great key stats for his position, compared to a player who's key stats are a bit less developed, but with high determination, teamwork,... the 2nd player is probably going to do a better job for you. But still your list does come in handy to look for good non-regens for a certain position.

I tend to agree. However, the way FMRTE works, one could actually change the weights if you were curious. I didn't change anything because I figured that any disagreements I had wouldn't be universally agreed upon so it would be inappropriate.

I will say though, teamwork and work rate ARE given weight in the formulas for each position. On the other hand, determination, natural fitness, long shots, penalty, corner, FK taking, long throws, and flair aren't ever given any weight. I don't agree with all of these, especially determination, fitness, long shots, and flair, but giving those attributes some weight wouldnt change that much. It might subtly change the order the players come in at, but the same players would end up coming out ahead (I know this because I tried changing some stuff a little bit and the difference was slim)

seems u forgot one thing
attach.gif

the personality attributes
a player can have 200 PA but will never reach it if he got low profesionalism , ambition and determination
and about the importance of attributes there are plenty mental attributes like anticipation, determination or decisions which are key to other attributes like tackling or passing
i think mantralux's guide could be very helpfull for everyone who wants to know key attributes in every positiong

TBH, it is a good list, but many of those players above under 23 have a variable PA, which means their stats will differ from game to game.

seems u forgot one thing
attach.gif

the personality attributes
a player can have 200 PA but will never reach it if he got low profesionalism , ambition and determination
and about the importance of attributes there are plenty mental attributes like anticipation, determination or decisions which are key to other attributes like tackling or passing
i think mantralux's guide could be very helpfull for everyone who wants to know key attributes in every positiong

You are right; professionalism, ambition, and determination are not part of this. One can actually manually put weight on those things if you wanted to. Again, I used the default weighting that FMRTE comes with because I thought any change I decided to make wouldnt be universally accepted, nor do I think I know enough about the game to make a great assessment.

However, mental attributes are in there and frequently very important. For instance, for a fullback, anticipation is weighted more highly than any attribute except positioning and tackling. For a central midfielder, decisions are weighed the same as dribbling, while for an AM it is weighed the same as finishing. Most of the mental attributes are accounted for. Determination and flair are not for some reason though.

TBH, it is a good list, but many of those players above under 23 have a variable PA, which means their stats will differ from game to game.

Well yeah, I mentioned that. But that doesnt mean this isn't still the list of players one should get. If you don't know the PAs, then you should get the player who will be better the majority of the time. That is gonna be the player who is best when the PAs are equal. Yeah, if the players on these lists got stuck with the 150 PA, then some lesser player who got the 180 PA would be better, but the majority of the time these players will be superior because they are better if the PAs are equal.

i see u ment how FMRTE calculates positions
i never really tried it tho, but reading all this i think its not so accurate
decisions are way more important for a amc then dribbling
in most cases that is, and depending what role ur AMC is
or also DMC, i calculates how good a dmc could be right?
but a DMC anchorman and DMC deep laying playmaker aren't similar at all