RB Leipzig - a different breed of German football.

fairwarrior

Reaction score
View attachment 1064914

RasenBallsport Leipzig e.V., or RB Leipzig is a professional football club from Leipzig, Saxony. In the 2015/16 season, RB Leipzig finished second in the 2. Bundesliga and got promoted to the first tier of German football - the first former East German team to do so in 7 years. It is not this promotion that makes them known however - it is the clash of cultures between RB Leipzig and other German teams that make RB Leipzig hold a very infamous title. I am fairwarrior, or Finley and I'm going to make the most hated team in German football the most successful.

RB Leipzig was founded in 2009 by energy drink company Red Bull. They play their home games at the 42,959 seater stadium appropriately named the Red Bull Arena. They are the fifth football club owned by Red Bull, alongside FC Red Bull Salzburg in Austria, the New York Red Bulls in the U.S.A, Red Bull Brasil in, well, Brazil and finally Red Bull Ghana in.... Ghana. However, they are the first football team owned by Red Bull that does not have Red Bull in it's title. This is because the DFB would not allow the name of the team to be Red Bull Leipzig. This lead to the name being RasenBallsport Leipzig, for the shortened name still keeps the corporate identity of Red Bull.

So I'm not going to set myself any rules for this save, though I want to not be sloppy and gloss over aspects of the game. I'm not sure if I'm going to focus on youth either, except to keep within the philosophical guidelines. Of course if I have an amazing youth prospect I'll keep him and develop him.

Feedback will be most appreciated. Let's hope it all goes well!

So the team doesn't need all too many changes for the first season. The only noticeable weak spots seem to be in the DR, DC & GK positions. With a budget of £3.57 million, I should be able to fix those holes easily. However, A big team overhaul is going to be needed if we get promoted.

Key Players

Emil Forsberg

View attachment 139809

Forsberg is going to be great for me to cut inside on the left wing as an inside forward. He's fast, and with good dribbling and finishing will hopefully score plenty from that left hand side.

Marcel Sabitzer

View attachment 139808

Sabitzer is a great player, only 21 and with great finishing and speed. I've definitely got a great pairing on the wings.

Davie Selke

View attachment 139807

A young striker with great mental attributes for just 20! High bravery and work rate, alongside 15 Determination is going to make Selke a key player for the team.

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of players for the team have high aggression and bravery. I'm hoping that won't be a problem and will be instructing them to stay on their feet. Would anyone agree that is a good move?

Tactics

View attachment 139806

So I've got with a fairly standard formation. The IF's, with their speed and finishing will hopefully be my main goalscorers this season. I've gone with a CM on defend to keep a player protecting the midfield. With my wing backs on attack I have a much more vulnerable defence and an extra player protecting my goal will be very useful. Other than this it is a very normal, commonly used tactic.

View attachment 139805
The instructions are also standard as well. Being one of the top teams in the division means I can play a controlling game and the fluid shape means my wing backs will contribute more. I am playing fairly narrow to let my IF's cut inside and be able to strike on their stronger foot more successfully.

I'll be back soon with a pre-season overview!

Last edited:
Good luck mate, have always liked RB Leipzig and I'm interested to see how you'll get on! :)

QWQWQW_zpsca7bxxey.png

Not the best thing to happen in the very first game of the pre-season. We'll be 3 months into the season before he gets back. Ahh well. It happens.

a3e3f6024387fe7a6c2f717274adc2f6_zpsdfkoexrs.png

View attachment 139752

So... what can I say? A great player for the team. An Important one too. Leipzig have a very young, and thus inexperienced squad. Some international and top level experience will do fantastically. He immediately will have a spot at my DR position, as well as be a tutor. Signs on a 2 year contract.

View attachment 139751

Great all-rounder. Good crossing, decent acceleration (difficult to find an adept crosser with decent speed at the same time for what I've got), as well as good teamwork, positioning, work rate and dribbling. An excellent pickup really. The first signing of potentially many!

4c61b22392c768f8941c9cddfb6d0482_zps65saeq2s.png

View attachment 139741

Another defender joins us on a 2 year contract. Belkalem will probably find his way into the first team, and is some real competition for Compper. I'm very happy with this signing. While not as good as Eboué, he was a steal really for £775k, and has a good few years left to show what he is made of.

View attachment 139740

Good in the stats I need him to be in, shame he isn't very fast but his speed isn't a priority. My defence is pretty much complete as I'm not investing in a new goalkeeper.​

0e6fb40430490e80e1c9929c9f9ab9de_zpsmgoft65x.png

I wasn't sure about this but I can put the money for good use. I have other promising youth players so losing just one will hardly be bad.

View attachment 139719

Not a bad player and pretty promising for a 16 year old but I couldn't turn down £2.5mil.​

44b8e700784a95e52b82e4689d1ac836_zps8vf47xyb.png

Another striker joins the ranks.

View attachment 139716

I fought off a lot of other teams for his signature and he will be fighting for that first team spot. With a striker injured for a considerable amount of time he will be getting a fair share of first team football.

View attachment 139710

Quite a hefty wage but I feel he'll be worth it.​

db544cef4c89464876cdfceddc97c4d6_zps62ktyv7g.png

Welp. Another injury. Going to have a shaky start to the season that's for sure.​

674f6e05b57e683598d52ba51036b42a_zpscde7rjkf.png

Ok so I did say Johan was my last signing of the season, but Taylor was cheap so I signed him. More experience can't be bad, right?

View attachment 139557

This signing could go badly though. Definitely a risk vs reward scenario but I hope he can pull out all the stops (when he plays). He is not a first team player and is going to be back up for that ML position, allowing Johan to cover for other positions.

View attachment 139556

Admittedly, not the best signing I've ever made but just look at those spot kick stats. The more I look at him the more I like him!

Pre-season roundup coming shortly!​

View attachment 139555

I'm not too bothered about the results for the friendlies. The convincing 7-0 and 6-0 wins are nice but I only really play friendlies for the revenue and to raise fitness levels. We did play poorly in that Olimpic D game but we started to play a lot better after that game. Yussuf Poulsen and Lukas Klostermann have been unavailable for these friendlies and thus will gain their match sharpness through substitutions in these upcoming league games.

I do have a large squad of 28 people but a fair few are injured and some are in a position to go out on loan (as well as my backup GK on extended leave) so I'm not concerned about the size of it currently.

View attachment 139553

A quiet 1-0 victory over top Bulgarian team Beroe with a great team goal from Palacios-Martinez, who is now out on loan.

View attachment 139552

An unconvincing loss against Ukrainian team Olimpic Donetsk showed we have improvements to be made.

View attachment 139547

And improvements were made indeed. We dominated in this game, with great goals coming from across the field.

View attachment 139545

Another game with a plethora of goals. Nothing else really to say.

View attachment 139544

And we finish off the preseason with a nice win over affiliates FC Liefering. Halstenburg coming on as a substitute for Goitom and scoring!

Overall a convincing start to the season and I hope our good form continues!

View attachment 139487

Overall a good start to the season for us.

View attachment 139486

A nice, convincing win to start off the season.

View attachment 139484

A disappointing loss to a team we really should have won against. An unfortunate own goal from Tiegl robs us of any points.

View attachment 139466

An easy game against a regional team. Rotated most of my squad around for this game.

View attachment 139470

We came from behind to a convincing win with good goals from our goalscorers.

View attachment 139467

A narrow win. We should have won by a greater margin but we just couldn't find the net.

View attachment 139469

The stats don't tell the full story. We were all over them in the first half and then a quickfire double from them disrupts the chances of winning. Thankfully Forsberg comes back with a great strike and Sabizter scores to get us a point.

View attachment 139464

This leaves us second after 5 games. I feel we should have gone unbeaten this season but 2nd place is not a bad position to be in.

View attachment 139459

So the transfers in are mainly for experience from older players and to act as a nice backup to the main players and rotation options for cup games. Renat Dedachov has made us a nice fee of money and I'm glad that we made so much money off of him. The other players are just young players that need match experience that they probably aren't going to get here.

I'm very happy with Belkalem and he's been my best signing so far, with Matty Taylor coming in close behind him. Eboué has been injured for the start of the season so he hasn't had many opportunities to show his skill. Goitom has not played many games since Poulsen has been available, and Absalonsen has not played enough for me to be able to say how good he's been so far.

The next update will be (probably) at the end of December. See you then!