Re-creating Dortmund 1993 5-3-2 with Libero

Trugg0

Reaction score
I am pretty new to FM 14 so looking for some help.

I want to create a 5-3-2 using an attacking libero, based on the formation Dortmund played in 1993:
View attachment 361416

I experimented with an attacking libero in the past on older versions of FM and always struggled.

Back in 93, Dortmund played a more rigid-direct approach, but I want something slightly more balanced.

I know it's hard to find a player for the libero role as there are virtually no plug and players available and can take a season and half to train someone to get comfortable.

Any suggestions on player roles, duties and instructions would be great!

Finding appropriate players should only be the second step. First, ask yourself: does the Match Engine emulate the Libero role the way it should?

Big "nooooo way" on that one, I fear. As I ****** love the likes of modern libero lookalikes among the lines of David Luiz or Mats Hummels, I've been trying to implement this one since FM12. Even with the most aggressive individual instructions and tinkering with PPMs, these players hardly ever bomb through the lines like they're supposed to. They do however act a bit like a stopping central defender, occupying the space between your defensive line and imaginary defensive midfielders (usually you won't be playing a DM in front of a libero, as they'd stand on each others feet).

What really broke the neck was the removal of the "Playmaker" option in FM14s tactics. It was easier to emulate this playing style in earlier versions, where you could set up your libero as sort of your primary playmaker; allowing him to run through the park with the ball instead of acting as a mere anchor man who'd supply the central midfielders with balls from behind.

I'd also not recommend the old work-around of instructing your libero to marking a deep-lying opponent player. Although he'll naturally stay further up the pitch, you'll have a gaping hole in your back line. In FM14, liberos behave a bit like Halfbacks as in that they'll stay between two center backs who move outwards, creating a broad three-man line. Moving the center player up forward however won't make the "outer" center backs contract and cover the middle, thus creating a gap General Montgomery could easily move a tank division through.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Blarry,

I was coming to that conclusion myself but thought someone might have had success with a libero.

I guess the fact is the as good as FM is, the ME struggles to handle complex movements, especially from those position from "classic" formations and tactics.

For example, I struggleD terribly with trying to re-create the 3-4-3 that Cruyff employed at Barcelona in the 1990s.

You can replicate all the player roles and their movements except the way how the outer defenders in the back three played.
When in possession the meant to become like full back moving wide and offering a passing option to the midfielders and wingers.
When defending they retract, playing narrower like your typical back three. in FM, I found you can either do one or the other but not both at the same time!!

I will have to accept defeat on this one, I am just fed up of seeing the same 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 tactics that everyone plays! I like to try unconventional formations and tactic and sometimes the ME doesn't allow for it.

Rant over, thanks again!

Don't get me wrong guys, but I don't think the ME is broken. Scripted, perhaps, broken, no. What you probably don't know, or haven't bothered to learn and read, is that players act in a certain manner when given different philosophy and strategy, not only team instructions and player instructions. If I wanted my defence to be creative, I would be forced to use a more agressive strategy, like attack, as that is what you need to make defence more creative and forwards more skillfull or technical. Second, if I wanted my striker to defend, and my defence to attack, I would be forced to use a very fluid philosophy. These are all basic football rules, the ME isn't inventing hot water, but it might be something you overlooked, or setup wrong. Maybe just because your own idea of football is differen't from what really works, both in ME and RL. Finding the correct set of settings for what you want to achieve on the pitch is a big task.

Last edited:
Never said the ME is broken, it just doesn't like (very few) odd playing styles/combinations/player roles. And as far as the libero goes, I don't blame SI. There's hardly a team left in professional football that still uses liberos the way they were used to be used. No wonder though if they put less effort into game mechanics that maybe 3% of players ever want to experience.