razatle

Reaction score
It had been far too long since the glory days of the 80's for the long-suffering supporters of Aberdeen. Delight at the appointment Mark McGhee, one of those responsible for the previous success, soon turned to despair when after only 2 short weeks he walked away from the job after his suggestion of changing the strips to green and white hoops was rejected.

A new answer was needed - the board decide to surprise everyone by naming Aberdeen born and life long fan Neil Mackie as the man to take them forward.

(Ok, I've just read another Aberdeen story has started - didn't see that coming, but will be interesting to see how we both go)

So, the first decision - where did my ambitions lie. As it turns out it didn't matter - whether I went for continental qualification, title challenge or league winners my budget was the same. I plumped for the easy option.

Next - my basic formation. I've always felt that wingers were a bit of a luxury for a struggling team - I wanted ball winners in the middle to hit the ball through to strikers up front. In another life I'd tried a tactic called 4-3-3 city and this was the one I decided to shape my team around.

The controversial decision was made to sell Aluko. He was seen as a cult hero already in these parts and a legend in the making despite his young age and short time at the club. He was however a sellable asset and with no money at all to spend, and no place in the team, he was also very expendable. The others to be offered out were Derek Young, Stirling Smith and Peter Pawlett.

The free agent market was flooded with quality, and trawling round some of the South American national teams revealed even more talent without a club. Relying on big money coming in I bid for Cristian Mora, Ebi Smolarek, Sol Campbell and Steven Appiah.

The next few days were spent scouting free agents, and waiting for offers to come in. They came in quickly, which was very pleasing. Out went:

(all figures in UK pounds, but since I live in China my computer has no pound sign)

Derek Young - Bristol Rovers - 250,000
Sone Aluko - Sheff Utd - 3,000,000 + 20% of profit from next sale
Stirling Smith - Ipswich - 500,000
Peter Pawlett - Sunderland - 1,400,000

This was a very tidy little sum, and allowed me to amass quite a treasure chest. I put most of it into my wage budget in order to convince the big guns to come to me. They didn't..... Mora was refused a permit, Appiah to Racing Club S.A.D., Smolarek to Le Mans UC 72 and Campbell to Hearts. Well, hopefully I'd be able to make Campbell regeret his decision a little further down the line.....

By this time a lot of other free agents had already found clubs, and I desperately needed a good DM. My scout in Europe had picked up on a youngster by the name of Markel who had fallen out of favor at Real Sociedad. A swift 700,000 bid followed, as well as a contract offered to Theo Lucius - a free agent who could cover the DM slot while also sorting out my RB problem. He had been released from Feyenoord and was willing to jump across the North Sea to provide some much needed experience to my club.

(Ok, that's it for now, I have played about 6 games into the season, but need to go to work so will update later and try and include a screen shot or three.)

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 09:25 AM ----------

So, the bids were in, and the scouts were still scouting. All I could do was wait to see how events transpired - it was time to turn my attention to the friendlies. Would my squad adapt to the 4-3-3 with ease, or were their troubles ahead? To be honest, with my biggest game being away to Leeds, and all the rest scattered around lower league Scottish teams I was hoping I could play any formation and still be successful.

Friendlies:

Livingston 1 - 3 Aberdeen (Miller 3)
Queen of the South 2 - 2 Aberdeen (Miller, Stewart)
Ross County 0 - 2 Aberdeen (Miller, Mackie)
Raith 1 - 2 Aberdeen (Miller 2)
Aberdeen 6 - 0 GH Academy (Miller 3, Hansson, Devany Paton)

So, the first 5 friendlies were a huge success, the only blip being QOS managing a comeback in the last 10 minutes after I subbed on most of my youth players. Lee Miller was performing amazingly well in the central striker role with my other strikers rotating around him.

The only problem was - still no new player - It was the 22nd of Jul, I had a Euro Qualifier on the 30th, and still no player for my DM position although Mark Kerr had performed well so far.

Step forward Theo Lucius - he finally agreed to the contract and became the first signing of the Mackie Revolution. Granted, he is more of a natural RB, but he could slot into the DM role until I could scout out a player, or Markel agreed to come.

We had a weeks rest before out first competitive game of the season. For Aberdeen any tie in Europe is tough, and we had been drawn against Dinamo Tbilisi of Georgia. We were favorites, but also very aware that it could go horribly, horribly wrong.

The week passed quickly - I dealt with some pressing issues with my back room staff (mainly sacking most of them and replacing them with other unemployed but slightly better coaches). There was no further transfer activity though - perhaps I need new scouts as well.
Thursday 30th July 2009
Euro Cup 3rd Qualifying Round, Leg 1

(Screenshot will appear here later once my computer stops being difficult)
Aberdeen 4 - 2 Dinamo Tbilisi (Stewart 2, Miller, Paton)

An excellent victory - ok, so the opposition scored 2 away goals, but I have a 2 goal lead as well. If I kept things tight in Georgia I had another round to look forward to.

So, my first month in management was over. A fairly successful time so far, with the only disappointment being the lack of new faces. I still wanted a natural DM, and another striker up front. The scouts were out but most players didn't see their future in the granite city.

Last edited:
good stuff mate
keep it up, not sure Kris will like to see Aberdeen doing well
as a United fan, I'm happy to see Fergie's own team do well:D

August Update

So we rolled into August having had a fantastic pre-season, and in a good position form our first leg match against Tblisis. The first business to attend to was a friendly against Leeds:

1 Aug: Leeds 3 - 2 Aberdeen (Maguire, Hansonn)

Not a major surprise, but would have been nice to have a morale boosting win going into ym Euro Campaign. Ah well. The second leg was approaching and I had a 2 goal lead to defend.

Thursday 6th August 2009
Euro Cup 3rd Round, Leg 2

Dinamo Tbilisi 1 - 3 Aberdeen (Paton 2, Miller)

And we're through - a potential glamour tie against top rate opposition to look forward to, and the draw did not dissapoint - A Battle of Britain to whet the appetite of fans both sides of the border - we drew Fulham, and would be at home in the 1st leg.

2 days after the tie, on the 8th of August, I finally got the natural DM I had been looking for. Markel agreed a 700,000 swich from Real Sociedad, signing a 5 year contract at 2,900 a week.

So, the diddy Euro tie was safely out of the way, it was time to turn the attention to a prize that has eluded the Dons for too long - the League itself. First up - Celtic.

Sunday 16th August 2009
Premier League

Aberdeen 2 - 1 Celtic (Paton, Mackie)

The hopes and dreams of a new season got off to the worst possible start. It only took 3 minutes for Aiden McGeady to penetrate the Dons defence, and from there it seemed the inevitable goal rush would follow. Mackie's Aberdeen side had other ideas and rolled up their sleaves to outplay Celtic and finish deserved victors.

Thursday 20th August 2009
Euro Cup 4th Round Leg 1

Aberdeen 1 - 1 Fulham (Foster)

Given the gulf in class between the teams, Aberdeen were happy to be keeping the tie competitive for the 2nd leg. We'd lost a dangerous away goal, but an upset was still on the cards

Sunday 23rd August 2009
Premier League

Hamilton 0 - 3 Aberdeen (Maguire, Kerr, Mackie)

Hamilton are dispatched with ease.

Thursday 27th August 2009
Euro Cup 4th Round 2nd Leg

Fulham 1 - 2 Aberdeen (Mackie, Miller)

A famous victory for the Red Army, Mackie and Miller put Aberdeen 2-0 up before Hangeland grabs one back with just less than a 1/3 of the match gone. Fulham needed 2 to go through and peppered the goal ending up with 14 shots, 7 on target, but they couldn't find a way through. Aberdeen had qualifed for the group stages.

Sunday 30th August 2009
Premier League

Aberdeen 3 - 2 Motherwell (Clark, Maguire, Wright)

We were our own worst enemies in this one, scoring 2 own goals (Langfield and Diamond). Fortunatley we were able to find the net just as easily at the other side of the pitch.

After the match new signing Nikita Andreev was revealed. Recommended as a striker for the future by scout Les Taylor, he was snapped up for 275,000 from Almeria on a 4 year contract at 550 a week.

By the end of August Dons fans were in dreamland - into the Euro groups and undefeated in competitive games. Would the joy carry on through September....

Ok, Big update this team - I'm up to the start of January, so here we go:

1 Sep - Last deal of the window as I snap up free agent Marian Had - I didn't really need him but I do have a tendancey to rush and buy someone at the last minute, and this time it was ex-Sparta Prague left back Had.

12 Sep - Falkirk 1 - 2 Aberdeen (Mackie, Wright)

17 Sep - Aberdeen 3 - 2 Lazio (Miller, Maguire, O.G) Euro Cup
A superb result, but also very lucky to get the O.G. in a suprisingly even match

20 Sep - Aberdeen 4 - 1 St. Mirren (Miller (3), Andreev)

23 Sep - Aberdeen 0 - 1 Falkirk League Cup
Out at the first hurdle with my first defeat and first blank score - things do happen in 3's

26 Sep - Rangers 1 - 1 Aberdeen (Miller)
Both goals were scored in the first 10 minutes, and thereafter we peppered each others goals, but there was no way through.

1 Oct - Villarreal 1 - 0 Aberdeen
Not unexpected, only surprise was the they only got one

4 Oct - Kilmarnock 4 - 2 Aberdeen (Stewart, Ross)
Euro Hangover? We just didn't turn up.

19 Oct - Aberdeen 3 - 1 Hearts (Miller, Maguire, Paton)
Excellent way to bounce back, defeating rivals Hearts helps the supporters to forget about the Killie blip (Hopefully)

22 Oct - Zurich 1 - 0 Aberdeen
The Euro dream is fading fast

25 Oct - Aberdeen 1 - 2 Dundee Utd (McDonald)
More Euro hangover effect?

2 Nov - Hibs 1 - 3 Aberdeen (Diamond, Miller, Considine)
And bouncing back again.

5 Nov - Aberdeen 3 - 1 Zurich (Andreev, Paton 2)
Great result, we are now 2nd in the group on 6 points, Zurich have the same, and Lazio 3. We can still do it

8 Nov - Aberdeen 3 - 0 St. Johnstone (Miller 2, Mulgrew)

23 Nov - Motherwell 1 - 1 Aberdeen (McDonald)

28 Nov - Aberdeen 2 - 0 Rangers (Clark, Kerr)
The old firm hold no fear for me.

3 Dec - Lazio 3 - 1 Aberdeen (Andreev)
I now need to beat Villarreal in my last game to go through........

6 Dec - Celtic 1 - 1 Aberdeen (Miller)

12 Dec - Aberdeen 2 - 0 Hamilton (Miller, Andreev)

17 Dec - Aberdeen 1 - Villarreal 1 (Miller)
The draw wasn't good enough - Lazio beat Zurich so go through on 9 points while I am 3rd on 7

20 Dec - Aberdeen 1 - 1 Hibs (Miller)

26 Dec - St. Mirren 3 - Aberdeen 4 (Stewart 2, Miller, Clark)
4-1 up with 10 to go, the players decided to give St. Mirren the gift of hope, and leave me chewing my fingernails nervously during 3 minutes of injury time

30 Dec - Aberdeen 2 - 1 Falkirk (Stewart, Miller)

2 Jan - Dundee Utd 0 - 1 Aberdeen (Kerr)
A 93rd minute goal from Kerr send the points North

__________________________________________________________________________________

Transfer news:

With several players out of contract in the summer, and demanding nearly double their wages in some cases, a clearout was neccessary. During the month of December deals were negotiated which saw the following departures:

Lewis Davidson - released
Scott Bain - Grays - Free
Nicky Low - Bournemouth - 1,000
Anthony Bolger - Hererfor - 1,000
Stuart Nelson - Exeter - 20,000
Stuart Duff - Notts Co - 250,000
Charlie Mulgrew - Doncaster - 650,000
Gary McDonald - Doncaster - 450,000
Davide Grassi - Catanzaro - 24,000

And the follwoing Arrivals:

Marc Muniesa - Barcelona - 100,000
Garoar Johannsson - Fredrikstad - Free (end of contract)

Last edited: