Re-rewind... When the crowd say Beau Sallekta

king-don

Reaction score
Only started playing FM 2010 about a month ago (have been a fan since CM 99/00 – I think), after giving up MMORPGs and starting a real job. Obviously began with Man Utd, a team that I have grown up supporting, with influence from the many cousins I have, and being born in Manchester myself (why not City? I don’t know, don’t ask). Anyway, I have been lurking around the FM-base boards looking for advice and tips and have recently enjoyed reading FM stories (although I don’t post often at all) from the bore at work, and it has really entertained me. So I have decided to start my own story, my first, so please take it easy on me. I don’t think I will be posting many pictures up as others have done, but will try and post screenshots as I get the hang of things.

I thought about starting yet another Man Utd story, but I’m sure many of you will have read the same regurgitated stuff over and over again (not like there is a shortage of big club FM stories here). It has been decided between my friends and I that money = win (our own conclusion so please do not flame), of course tactics, man management etc. all play a massive part, but with a big team, big transfer budget, you really have to try to actually go wrong.

Anyway, I remember back in 01/02 and 02/03 (I think), I was extremely impressed by Deportivo, after the matches against Man Utd in the CL, and started to develop interest in them. I particularly remember performances by Diego Tristan and Juan Carlos Valeron. However, Deportivo have not been as impressive since their fine form that saw them winners of the Spanish League in 99/00 and the subsequent top 3 finishes in the following years. Valeron is one my favourite players in football, don’t want to sound gay, but he is so elegant when he plays, when he runs and passes it looks so natural and right, so gives me more of an incentive.

So I decided to begin a new save with Deportivo (I have already done all the transfers, played all the friendly matches and the first four league matches before I decided to make this story, so no screenshots from those) and share the story with FM-base readers. I made up the manager name to create a twist for the title, however I started the game with my name so any future screenshots uploaded I will try and ink out my name. If I forget, please forgive. As the title suggests, I am attempting to bring the club to its former (yet not so long ago) glory days, not an easy task after I realized how much debt and how weak and old the squad was when I launched the game…

Real Club Deportivo de La Coruña, S.A.D. appoint new manager.

Deportivo have sacked manager Miguel Ángel Lotina Oruechebarría after three years of unimpressive performances and hired freshly retired international footballer Beau Sallekta to help lead Los Blanquiazules to glory once again. Deportivo have been predicted a 7th place finish in La Liga.

(Will update with signings and results when I get access to my save after I finish work in a around 3 hours)

The first thing Sallekta decided to do was to completely reform Los Blanquiazules. The team was getting old and upcoming talent just average, to be optimistic. However, after only been offered a pitiful transfer budget of £600k, this will prove to be a much harder task than first imagined.

Sallekta decided to bring in some fresh talent and future stars as well as experienced veterans and milk as much as he could from the existing team.

Players in:

Lukaku – 9.5m
Enyeama – 1.5m
Buonanotte – 2.5m
Aogo – 5m
Ninis – 4.5m
Vargas (Ronald) – 4m
Kusnir – 1.8m
Otamendi – 5.5m
Ze Maria – free
Vieri – free
Andrade – free

Players out:

Jairo – 1.3m
Antonio Tomas – 1.3m
Bodipo – 1.5m
Pablo Alvarez – 2.5m
Laure – 2m
Lopo – 2.2m
Nouioui – 2.6m
Guardado – 8.75m
Piscu – 1m
Ivan Perez – 500k

Mark Viduka and Gaston Fernandez, both first choice targets of Sallekta’s plans accepted offers elsewhere for their services and in the end he settled with Christian Vieri.

Sallekta had tried and failed to bring in Portugese midfielder Miguel Veloso even though Sporting CP had accepted an offer worth 15.5m, after he snubbed a contract offer of 2.5 times his current wage. Sallekta has expressed that he is determined to bring the rising Portugal international to the Riazor in the future.

Although widely regarded by supporters and team mates as the star player of Los Blanquiazules, Sallekta decided to sell Guardado to make way for the future stars that will hopefully take the club to the next level. The rookie manager had faith in new signings Buonanotte and Aogo and Riki and Filipe on the left hand side of the pitch.

Having sold so many of the old force, Sallekta was only left with 22 players for his first team. Needless to say, lady luck will have to bless Los Blanquiazules with an injury free campaign.

Friendly results

H: Deportivo 7 – 0 Deportivo B
A: Villalbes 0 – 11 Deportivo
A: Vecindario 0 – 2 Deportivo
A: Montaneros 0 – Deportivo
A: Viveiro 0 – 7 Deportivo
A: Laracha 0 – 8 Deportivo
A: Negreira 0 – 5 Deportivo

Pre-season friendly matches gave the new team time to create a bond, and to let the new manager decide on his strongest eleven. Los Blanquiazules came away victorious in all the warm-up matches, but will they be able to perform when they play the matches that really count?

La Liga results

H: Deportivo 2 – 0 Valladolid
H: Deportivo 3 – 1 Mallorca
A: Getafe 0 – 2 Deportivo
A: Barcelona 2 – 2 Deportivo
H: Deportivo 1 – 1 Real Madrid
A: Tenerife 0 – 1 Deportivo

How much more of a perfect start could Sallekta ask for? 11 points from a possible 15, and most importantly being able to hold their own against Real Madrid and Barcelona to walk away with a point from both matches. Sallekta was just hoping to not be humiliated against the two favourites to win La Liga, but to bring a point home from both was a magnificent victory in itself and he couldn’t have asked for more from his players. Both matches saw Los Blanquiazules under relentless onslaught. Absolutely dominated in possession and goal opportunities, Enyeama was the pivotal man in bringing points back to Riazor. Any doubts about his signing have disappeared into thin air.

Deportivo lie in 2nd place after the first month. Things are looking bright at the moment for the young manager, but can Los Blanquiazules keep this form up? With 4 players out, Andrade, Ze Maria, Rodriguez and Mista, the hope for an injury free campaign was never going to happen.

Last edited:
La Liga results

A: Malaga 1 – 3 Deportivo
H: Deportivo 4 – 0 Athletic
A: Xerez 0 – 2 Deportivo
H: Deportivo 2 – 0 Villarreal

Spanish Cup

H: Deportivo 5 – 0 Mallorca

A perfect second month performance from Los Blanquiazules. Most of the matches were closer than the score-lines suggest, perhaps lady luck was smiling down on Sallekta. The best match was the 5 – 0 first leg thrashing of Mallorca in the Spanish Cup tie where wonder-kid Lukaku bagged a hat trick with a spot kick in the ending minutes of what was an almost flawless performance from Los Blanquiazules. Deportivo lie first in La Liga, however Real Madrid and Sevilla are both just 6 points behind with 2 games in hand, and are in fine form.

Brilliant performances from Andrade, Vargas, Aogo, Adrian and Buonanotte have been a clinical factor in this month's results.

Veteran Juan Carlos Valeron is the only injury sufferer, picked up from Los Blanquiazules match against Mallorca. He will be out for around 2-3 weeks and Sallekta will undoubtedly miss his star playmaker.

Deportivo are on superb form, however Sallekta hopes that this form will only bring confidence to the team, not complacency as it is still very early on in the season.

You know this is actually a good story, keep it up mate.

nicely done, keep it up mate.

What tactic are you using?

I actually use a pretty standard self tweaked 4-4-2, so nothing particularly special. But I am an avid follower of Wolfsong's teamtalks. You can see from the Barca and Real match stats that not only were my players far below their level but I was also absolutely dominated in every possible way but somehow managed to scraped a point away from both matches.

Almost every player was 'playing with confidence' or 'look motivated' in the stats, and I guess I was actually pretty lucky too!