Reaching the Zenith - A Zenit St. Petersburg Story

Reaction score
PROLOGUE
It was the final of the 2008-09 UEFA Champions League. Barcelona vs Manchester United. Markus Jonsson was one of the players instrumental in Manchester United's success in the tournament thus far. The England-born Swede was one of the best centre-backs in the game at the time. He was also a brilliant leader, captaining the club to a large number of successes, including the previous year's Champions League and a third successive English Premier League title in 2009.

Sir Alex Ferguson, manager of Manchester United, had stated in his pre-match conference that his side was in good shape and were going to defend the Champions League title. Little did he know, that one of his players would get injured early on in the match, and this would cost him dearly.

The team sheets were out approximately half an our prior to kick-off. Markus Jonsson was to partner Nemanja Vidic in the heart of the Manchester United defense, with Rio Ferdinand on the bench. Wayne Rooney partnered Carlos Tevez up front, with Cristiano Ronaldo on the wing. Edwin van der Sar was in goal.

With only 2 minutes on the clock, Samuel Eto'o slid in wildly on Markus Jonsson, who would not be able to get back onto his feet for almost 2 months. Rio Ferdinand was brought on for Jonsson, who had to be stretchered off to the hospital. Manchester United succumbed to a 2-0 defeat. But, the worst was yet to come. Doctors examined the leg and said: "Markus, I'm sorry, but you will never be able to play again". A premature end, to one of the most promising careers in football.

Guys, I started a new story with Tottenham, will post the link later.

I got bugged with the rule in Russian Premier League that only allows 6 foreign players in the starting lineup :p