thmgee

Reaction score
Just wondering what are peoples' thoughts on on how they change tactics when there is a sending off either for your side or the opposition?

I've had reasonable success limiting damage when I get a red card for my team, compressing the playing space by pushing my defence much higher up and closing down much more (plus an offside trap).

Where I've had more trouble is taking full advantage when the opposition lose a player (seem to suffer at the cliche that 'it's harder to play against 10 men'). There's a few instructions I've tried - pass into space, play wider (exploit a flank if their formation becomes unbalanced) - but none have had the kind of results you would hope for. Are there any tactics you've had that work well when up against 10?

I just lob a player with decent defensive attributes from midfield in to defense. It's always a defender sent off for me, never anywhere else on the pitch haha

Just wondering what are peoples' thoughts on on how they change tactics when there is a sending off either for your side or the opposition?

I've had reasonable success limiting damage when I get a red card for my team, compressing the playing space by pushing my defence much higher up and closing down much more (plus an offside trap).

Where I've had more trouble is taking full advantage when the opposition lose a player (seem to suffer at the cliche that 'it's harder to play against 10 men'). There's a few instructions I've tried - pass into space, play wider (exploit a flank if their formation becomes unbalanced) - but none have had the kind of results you would hope for. Are there any tactics you've had that work well when up against 10?

I never change anything when the opposition gets a red card. I feel this just provides me with more space to play in the tactic I decided was going to get me the win anyway.

This tactic has maximum familiarity so why should I all of sudden make them play in a way they are not comfortable with?

I never change anything when the opposition gets a red card. I feel this just provides me with more space to play in the tactic I decided was going to get me the win anyway.

This tactic has maximum familiarity so why should I all of sudden make them play in a way they are not comfortable with?

Yeah I definitely don't make big changes, just wondering if there's any slight tweaks that people have seen which effectively make use of the increased space you should be getting. From my experience I've never quite managed to create the kind of total collapse I've sometimes experienced when one of my own players gets sent off.

If they have a player off, the obvious thing is to take advantage of your outnumbering, and put another striker at the box, or if you already have 2 strikers, either yet another midfielder also running into the box often, or push up your winger higher up the pitch/more attacking role, and your fullbacks also. Usually I'm already winning so I don't need to push more. In the case I get a red card, I just accept that I'm going to lose points, either getting a draw where I would get a comfortable win with 11 players, or lose all 3 points where I could ****** a 1-0 shock win or at least secure a draw. No matter what I do, my team gets nervous and commits even more mistakes and there's no stopping them. I normally just rage quit, the red card is always a stupid dumbass error, even a sunday league player wouldn't make it.

Last edited: