Real Life Football Manager Challenge: Unemployment to Managerial Genius

• Thread starter Thread starter seanhrfc
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 38
  • Views Views 13K
Enjoying this so far! Inspired me to do something similar with my game. :D Kinda need something fresh after getting bored with my last few saves. I also use the same Level 9 tier database too, so awesome! Keep it up!

New Era for Page and Basingstoke Town

Time for Wheeling and Dealing

I had just signed for my first paid managerial job and I already knew it would be a different kettle of fish. I would now have to go through the process of offering players contracts, negotiating salaries that reflected their ability as well as keeping within the wage budget. This was something new for me and I have never been the most business minded, my strength lie on identifying talent and the tactical side of the game. Alongside this, a number of higher responsibilities came with this higher job and I needed help. I did some research and managed to find the perfect assistant for this level, Nigel Spackman. We spoke at length about our philosophies and discovered we were very similar in preferring an attacking, high closing, passing game with a 4-3-3 and looked to develop young players. He has a wealth of experience, playing in the top tier with Chelsea and Liverpool, and managed for short periods at Sheff Utd, Millwall and Barnsley and held the UEFA Pro Licence. More recently he was a coach in Spain at the Glenn Hoddle Academy and Jerez, showing his qualities at working with youngsters. We talked figures and eventually came to an agreement at £350 per week, more than my wage but it didn't put my nose out of joint. I am excited to be working with such an experienced, quality assistant.

View attachment 306702

Now with a no. 2 in place it was time to start building a squad capable of doing well in the BSS. My first port of call was to raid Croydon for the talent that was left. I soon found out that unfortunately all the U23 players would require £5,000 compensation, money that Basingstoke simply cannot afford. However I was able to talk to some of the older players; they had already bought into my philosophy and were keen to progress their careers so wanted to join but weren't going to sign for next to nothing as they knew offers could come their way soon from other clubs. Dutch defensive mid Iderlindo Moreno Freire signed a contract on £400 per week, as did his compatriots Blaaspijp (D RC) and Van Hese (DL) on £275 p/w and £400 per week respectively. I had been keeping an eye on Iraqi / Dutch centre mid Osama Rashid since I had been at Croydon and was ecstatic to persuade him to come to Basingstoke to tear up the midfield, albeit at a pricey £450 per week. Also from Croydon I brought in centre back Charlie Comyn-Platt on non-contract terms to provide squad depth, as well as prolific lower league goalscorer Bobby Traynor on £300 per week. Traynor had banged in 20 goals in 23 appearances for me at Croydon and now has a chance to prove himself in BSS, a level up from where he normally gets his goals from.

I had managed to get myself some good players in but I had found myself already over budget for the season! Some areas I had a reasonable depth but I only had one winger and no senior goalkeepers. I had already managed to get Holder-Spooner off the books as I had strikers in abundance, but it was difficult to shift other players off the budget. Craig Pope, whom I had never rated ever since his Histon playing days, was shifted out on loan, as well David Bird whom, sitting on £450 p/w, was for some unknown reason signed in June before I arrived. He was awful in training and I was glad to get rid of him to the league below, albeit still having to pay him £140 p/w. I had immediately released the non-contract players at the club after the first training session, which may be a decision I regret as they could have provided better back up than my youth team.

Trying to find quality goalkeepers and wingers that would sign for next to nothing proved to be difficult. Every experienced goalkeeper or winger rejected contracts and I resorted to loans. In came Jake Woolley from Luton, who was pretty poor but would do for a back up winger. Eventually I managed to find a reasonable youngster in Sam McQueen, a released Southampton academy player who although had a lot to work on, also showed glimpses of great potential on the training field, in he came on £120 per week. Finally, I found a new star for Basingstoke in Omar Koroma. He had lost his way at Forest Green and had a point to prove and I managed to convince him, using Romone Rose as an example, that I could help him re-kindle his professional career. He signed on loan for the season with Forest Green paying his wages, result! Unfortunately finding a keeper was much harder to come by. Every reserve team keeper in League 2 and Blue Square Prem had rejected loan offers and any free agent or non-contract keeper of any decent ability wanted high wages. Two games into the season and having played a 16-year-old in goal, I decided to settle for Josh Mimms. He had a good season in the Southern Prem, helping Gosport Borough to 5th and although on paper wasn't quite up to the standard of keeper i was looking for, he was keen to prove himself at a higher level. I bit the bullet and brought him in on £220 p/w.

I expect to add to the team as the season goes on, but it is relatively settled now. The dutch trio I hope will bring defensive quality in to the side and I have seen what they are capable of already at Croydon. I am especially excited about key signings of Rashid and Koroma, who both have the potential to play at a much higher level. It will be interesting to see how youngster McQueen gets on and how he develops and also whether Traynor will be as prolific in the BSS as he has been at Kingstonian and Croydon. I feel I have a squad that is capable of performing well in the BSS and I'd be disappointed if we weren't up and around the play-offs by the end of the season.

View attachment 306705View attachment 306706View attachment 306707View attachment 306708

On to the Pitch

I've completed the pre-season and August Fixtures in the league now and I'm very pleased with my start. For this, I will let the screen shots do the talking:
View attachment 306709View attachment 306710View attachment 306711
Sitting top of the league, winning 4 out of 5 games comfortably, only slipping up to Dorchester. Great performances all round from the squad. As expected, Koroma has had a great start as well as Traynor having a great start, scoring 2 and carving 4 assists. McQueen has taken the plaudits in his performances, scoring 3 in 4 from left wing and therefore currently is our top goalscorer. However the biggest surprise has to be Ross Adams, who has been a colossal at centre back and has to be Basingstoke player of the month. He has average centre back abilities for this level but has proven that determination and grit can overcome ability.

Player of the Month

View attachment 306712

End Note: Croydon FC

I would like to continue following the progress of Croydon FC, as I would like to see them do well and re-gain their Isthmian Premier League status. I was a bit disappointed to see my replacement manager as I felt Nourredine Naybet, my former assistant, would have been a much better choice. However they have managed to keep their good youngsters and are also using a lot of the youth squad and a couple of new signings. They've made a good start to their league campaign, but it will be a tough league to get promotion from as there's only one slot available.
View attachment 306713View attachment 306714
I am now ready and raring to carry on my career, with games thick and fast up til Christmas. There may not be any big news between now and then, but I will update how I am getting on.

​COME ON THE BASINGSTOKE!!!

Cheers for the comments guys, really enjoying this game so far!

gd luck with this...i started at harrogate town got them promoted to blue square prem and then was offered the job at oxford(league 2)
but i turned it down..results for me went down hill and i was sacked..so i went 6 monthes unemplyed and in december of 2014 i was approached by leyton orient who had dropped into Blue Square Prem..i went onto win the play of final and now back in the football leauge...but it was tough so gd luck in getting out of that league..sign Billy Lobjoit if u can he was awsome for me

Awesome stuff, I've spent quite a lot of time in Basingstoke as I have some family from there, so I'm rooting for you! As I said yesterday, this inspired me to start a new game, so I've done the same thing as you, and I'm currently tearing up the South Midlands Premier Division with Aylesbury Utd. :P Cheers for the inspiration!

Mid October Update

In come the loans

View attachment 306829View attachment 306830View attachment 306831

Finally I have managed to secure some decent loans to add depth to the squad. Jordan Roberts would have been first choice left-wing had he not got injured for 3 months in his second appearance. Very happy with the signing of Louis Harris, will be a key player in centre mid or holding mid and was well timed as shortly after his arrival Iderlindo got injured for 4 weeks. Adam Watson came in after Roberts got injured, he can provide cover in centre mid and is competent on either wing but I am yet to be convinced by him.

Results

View attachment 306839View attachment 306840View attachment 306841View attachment 306838I'm having a very good season so far, picking 5 wins out of 8 beating title contenders Newport on the way. A reasonable 1-1 draw with Ebbsfleet but a slip up against Boreham Wood. I was disappointed to draw 1-1 against rivals Farnborough at home, I took the lead in the 89th minute only to lose it in the 92nd! Our FA Cup run almost came to abrupt end as we went 2-0 to Isthmian Prem side Met Police, but we managed to claw back and went on to win 4-2. Phew!

Player performances have been interesting. Traynor has gone from strength to strength and has now got 7 goals and 6 assists in 13 games and a surprising goal-scoring patch from full-back from Van Hese left him at one point joint top scorer with 5 goals. Wes Daley has been putting some solid performances in midfield, grabbing goals and assists. However Carragher-like Ross Adams has had a dip in form since his tremendous start to the season, picking up 2 own goals on the way! I have been disappointed with the performances of Rashid of which have been very average. I hope he picks up form soon as I thought he'd be the stalwart in centre-midfield!

End Note: Croydon F.C.

View attachment 306844
Lastly, I have been pleased to see Croydon go on a great unbeaten run in the league, sticking them top of the table. They'll have stiff competition from Maidstone, but fingers crossed they can keep a miserly defence and get promoted.

gd luck with this...i started at harrogate town got them promoted to blue square prem and then was offered the job at oxford(league 2)
but i turned it down..results for me went down hill and i was sacked..so i went 6 monthes unemplyed and in december of 2014 i was approached by leyton orient who had dropped into Blue Square Prem..i went onto win the play of final and now back in the football leauge...but it was tough so gd luck in getting out of that league..sign Billy Lobjoit if u can he was awsome for me

Good luck with your journey, where do you think your next steps are after Orient, or do you plan to stay there a while?

Awesome stuff, I've spent quite a lot of time in Basingstoke as I have some family from there, so I'm rooting for you! As I said yesterday, this inspired me to start a new game, so I've done the same thing as you, and I'm currently tearing up the South Midlands Premier Division with Aylesbury Utd. :P Cheers for the inspiration!

Good luck with Aylesbury Utd, keep me updated!

To be updated soon, I am now in March 2014, 2nd season wrap up time.

Good luck with Aylesbury Utd, keep me updated!

Got them promoted. :) However, now the team have turned semi-pro, and I'm struggling to hold onto my best players who are being picked up by bigger clubs, or just being offered more than I can afford (max £20 a week), so it's quite sad to see, but also realistic in a way. Did you have this same problem with Croydon? Part of me wants to stick it out, but another part wants me to move up a few divisions.

Looking forward to the next part!

Sorry for the delay in the update, I am writing it up now. Season 2013/14 complete!

Season 2 Overview

Tranfers - October Onwards

View attachment 308479

I had already assembled a good squad for the league but it was lacking depth, so throughout the season I kept adding to it. Several loan signings were made, some that were a success, some than weren't! Bismark Amofah was very dependable throughout his loan, filling in at right or left back. I am considering getting him in on loan again for the coming season. Also Yado Mambo was a beast at centre back and has already been ear-marked for a contract once his runs out at Charlton in the summer. On the other hand, Bennett and Trundle didn't have the impact I expected they would considering their experience and reputation. Bennett was brought in on a season-loan to act as first choice keeper. But two ridiculous own goals later he found himself out of the starting line up to Josh Mimms and eventually had his loan terminated. I thought that Trundle would add a new type of attacking threat with his technical ability and creativity despite his lack of athleticism and his tenure at the Camrose started well, bagging a few goals here and there. But all **** broke loose when I played him in centre-mid due to injuries and suspensions leaving me short. Despite scoring two goals and getting MOTM, he came to me in aggressive manner after the game demanding that he never got played out of position, I told him I was the manager and he'd play where I put him. Needless to say the arrogant ***** didn't like that and after missing training and refusing to meet me in my office, his loan was terminated. I was glad to hear that he will be retiring from the game come the end of the season. I also made use of signing two Croydon players to the squad once they had turned 24 and didn't require compensation, de Rijp and Van Wijngen, who turned out to be key first-teamers.

General Season Overview

View attachment 308481View attachment 308480View attachment 308482

Overall I was very pleased with how the season panned out. We started strong and found ourselves leading the pack for the most part until we started accumulating games in hand, dropping down to fourth. We had a string of bad results in January / February which allowed Ebbsfleet, whom at this time were on incredible form, to gain a big lead in the league. After a 2-0 loss against arch rivals Farnborough in March, I began to tinker with tactics and found some success. Over the course of the season we didn't drop below 4th in the League, showing great consistency and finished the season well in 2nd place. I had aimed for the play-offs and achieved it, all on a mid-table budget but part of me was still disappointed not to have won the league after showing real title intentions before Christmas. Our lack of depth in the squad proved to be our downfall, with several injuries and unfit players due to the amount of cup games that we were involved in. At one point I could only field 3 subs and one of them was a goalkeeper! Added to this, the injuries seemed to occur to our key players more often than not, with Koroma, Van Hese and Rashid spending substantial periods in the physio room. I was content with our performances in the FA Trophy, reaching the quarter-final but losing to eventual winners Bath City, whom retained the trophy.

Play-Offs

View attachment 308484View attachment 308486View attachment 308485View attachment 308490

I was extremely disappointed to lose the first leg of the semi-final. We absolutely dominated the game and took the lead, but were hit on the counter with two last 15-minute goals. I had then decided that enough was enough with the tactic tinkering. Although I had managed to develop a way of playing that was aesthetically pleasing, including several high pass moves, we were vulnerable at the back to counters, conceding 2 goals a game on 4 occasions in 5 games. I reverted back to my system I had used throughout the majority of my managerial career and I was delighted to win 2-0 at The Camrose, putting us through to the final. We went in with home advantage against a strong Newport County side and emphatically beat them 3-0. I had done it. For the first time in their history, Basingstoke Town would be playing in the 5th Tier of English Football. The Camrose clubhouse was a site to behold that night, as players and fans celebrated together on the rare occasion I allowed my players to drink. I too had several pints and tequila shots and found myself half-cut signing the bar-maids *******.

FA Cup: An Underdog Story

View attachment 308499View attachment 308494View attachment 308493View attachment 308496View attachment 308498View attachment 308495View attachment 308492View attachment 308497View attachment 308491

Not only had we been able to overachieve in the league, we also had an incredible FA Cup run. We started in a chaotic way, going 2-0 down to Met Police and scoring 4 in the last 30 minutes, showing desire and character that we carried with us throughout the ties. Its always nice to get one over on your rivals and we did so in the 3rd Qualifying round, which led onto a comfortable win against Southern Premier League side Chippenham whom failed to get a shot on target the whole game. The first round brought League 2 side Morecambe to the Camrose, whom we deservedly beat 3-1. At this time I never knew what a fortress our beloved Camrose would become.

We drew a fortunate second round tie against beatable Chester of the BSP and although dominating possession it was set pieces that grabbed up the victory, with Ross Adams bagging two headed goals. This left us licking our lips at the prospect of drawing one of the big guns, but instead had a home tie to League 1 strugglers Gillingham. A top class performance from Keeper Mimms kept them to one goal and despite missing a penalty, we managed to secure another 2-1 win through a De Rijp brace. The fourth round saw us draw Championship Barnsley at the Fortress and our cup run was surely going to be over now. We found ourselves 3-1 up after going behind, but by the 88th minute our lead had been squandered by a Bobby Hassell strike and the game looked destined for a replay. However, club captain Stuart Lake had other plans and in the 94th Minute made a darting run into the box to head in the winner. It finished 4-3, an outstanding game contested by two attacking sides, but Lake's 94th minute hat-trick winner was the epitomy of Camrose character and despite not being a first team player throughout the season he will always be perceived as a Basingstoke legend for that performance.

In eager anticipation, everybody involved in the club awaited the 5th round draw. Top half Premiership side Wigan were the next in line to pit their wits against a determination-filled Basingstoke side at the Camrose fortress. In front of a record crowd, Wigan showed their premiership quality, but a dogged defensive performance left them just 1-0 up. Yet another important headed goal from Ross Adams in the 77th minute proved enough to secure a replay at the DW Stadium. This time it was not to be as Wigan raised their and dominated in a 2-0 victory. However I am extremely proud of our cup run, becoming only the 7th non-league side to reach the 5th Round and being unbeaten at home against League 2, League 1, Championship and Premiership opposition. In addition, we have been able to reap the financial benefits, earning nearly £500k in TV money and developing a strong balance of just under £1 million come the end of the season.

Key Players

View attachment 308509View attachment 308507View attachment 308506View attachment 308505View attachment 308504View attachment 308511

A special mention has to go to these 5 key players, who have all contributed greatly to a successful season. Blaaspijp was an absolute rock at the back as was Adams who had a knack for scoring important goals. Despite being injured for 4 months of the season, Van Hese has to be on here as when he played he was the best performer of the team and maybe we could have won the league had he and others been injury free. Although he took a while to get going, de Rijp ended up being an influencial player in the last couple of months, scoring and assisting crucial goals in league and cup. The top scorer of the season was Omar Koroma on 16 goals, which doesn't seem that many but it was a real team effort with goals spread throughout the squad. Bobby Traynor finished as 2nd top scorer on 15 goals, but doesn't make the key players list as his form really petered out in the 2nd half of the season.

Final Thoughts

All in all a fantastic season full of great memories. Hopefully our support will continue to grow and Basingstoke become a town with a successful football club. I have just signed a new contract on £700 per week, a great wage for a part-time manager! I am going to commit to at least another season with Basingstoke, barring an offer I can't refuse, with the aim to finish solidly in the top half of the league. Secretly I am dreaming of taking Basingstoke to the football league. I will be sticking to my playing philosophy and not tinkering around too much if things don't go as well as hoped, its a way I like and a way that the players know and have bought into to. Some of them thought I was going mad when I came with new ideas to the training ground when we already had a successful, grounded strategy!

Until next time, come on the Dragons!

Last edited:
Got them promoted. :) However, now the team have turned semi-pro, and I'm struggling to hold onto my best players who are being picked up by bigger clubs, or just being offered more than I can afford (max £20 a week), so it's quite sad to see, but also realistic in a way. Did you have this same problem with Croydon? Part of me wants to stick it out, but another part wants me to move up a few divisions.

Looking forward to the next part!

Good stuff with Aylesbury. Had the same with Croydon with a mass exodus, but as I had lots of U23s once they turned semi-pro those players required 5k compensation, so after I left they managed to keep a decent squad. They gained a 2nd promotion on my game into the Isthmian Premier.

I'm looking to rekindle this story if people are interested in reading? Will put up a season three update in the next hour or so.

View attachment 333972

Basingstoke Town - 2014/15 Season

I was all set for a new season at the Camrose and I had spent valuable time over the summer scouring for new talent. My aim was to bring in players with good experience playing in the conference or above, alongside getting in young talent. Yado Mambo, one of last season's stand out loanees, was signed to a contract as well as securing 3 very good foreign talents:

The season started off in a reasonable fashion, picking up wins alongside a few draws and defeats. But then we hit form. A fantastic 6-1 thrashing of Kettering took us up to 1st place in the league on top of an 11 match unbeaten run.

It had been rumoured that a board member of a big club had been attendance of the game, but I thought nothing of it until I received a phone call later that evening. It was a big club, that's for sure, and they wanted me as their new manager. They had been following my progress and after two weeks searching for a new manager, they could not think of a better candidate. As I looked back on my time at the Camrose I reminisced the wonderful season I just had there including the FA Cup run and I knew I would miss the place. But this was an offer I simply could not refuse and the decision was not a hard one. I was going to be entering my first professional managerial job.

View attachment 333983

First Professional Job: Millwall FC

It was the 15th October 2014 that I was offered my first professional job and it will go down as my greatest day in my managerial history, so far. The club that were willing to give a young up and coming manager a chance was Millwall. This was by no means their first controversial appointment. My predecessor was none other than ex West Ham legend Paolo Di Canio. He turned his back on the Hammers to take the job and claimed he would be the one to take them to glory. However he was unable to live up to his claims and after getting the club relegated and struggling more so in League 1 whilst helping take the club into financial difficulties, he was relieved from his duty. It seemed a big step up for me and felt strange replacing a man with such a reputation as a world class player, considering that I had no playing experience to speak of. I was fully aware that money was tight and that to bring in players I would need to free up wages by releasing players. It was going to be a challenge, but I was confident I could steer the club towards a play-off place and fight for promotion, despite taking over the club when they were much closer to relegation!

View attachment 333984

Millwall FC: 2014/15 Season Overview

Transfers
View attachment 333985

It was a very interesting challenge in the transfer market and I really had to use the 3-month loan deals to my advantage. I made it my aim to bring in experienced premier league and championship players on loan to add quality to a team that in overall lacked quality. Key loan signings included Steven Taylor, Dwight Tiendalli, Victor Anichebe & Boaz Myhill. I made 3 permanent signings; Jamaican international Jermaine Taylor (DC) and Welsh international Simon Church (ST) were brought in on 3-year-contracts whilst Bebe (AM RL) was signed until the end of the season.

I took over at the New Den when they had been left in 16th position and I had the expectation to turn them back around into promotion challengers. At the start it was tough, the players didn't respect me, morale was low and they looked dis-jointed when trying to play my style of football. After the first few games we struggled to maintain momentum and plummeted to 20th position at one stage. However, things gradually started to click into place and we went on storming winning streaks and rose up the league. We reached top place and stayed there, ending up the season champions with a degree of ease. I was chuffed to bits with the achievement as I never expected such a turnaround. I though I could get them into the play-offs just about. Unfortunately, we were knocked out of the club in an embarrassing fashion against League 2 side Bristol Rovers. Counter-acting this, we did perform very well in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy, beating Coventry on the way to winning the final 1-0 at Wembley versus Rotherham. Overall, a fantastic season and two trophies to add to my collection alongside my treble winning season with Croydon.

Overall I was very pleased with the player performances across my time at Millwall. Andrew Keogh proved a great goalscoring threat whether that was from the wing or up front claiming the 2nd top goalscorer of League 1. Millwall-bred James Henry had his best season of his career, finishing with the most assists in League 1 and winning the coveted League 1 player of the year award. One of the first names on the team sheet was ex-Ipswich trainee Liam Trotter, who was a tremendous midfield general. Of the three permanent transfers in, the hands down best signing was Jermaine Taylor, who averaged over 7.4 for the season and scored 4 important goals. Towards the end of the season he formed a formidable centre-back partnership with Steven Taylor. Unfortunately, Church missed most of the season through injury, but when fit he proved a goal threat bagging 5 goals. The signing of Bebe was an interesting one, he was either going to be a revelation or a flop. He was the latter and will be released at the end of his contract. On a personal level, I won the League 1 Manager of the year, an achievement to be proud of and shows how far I have developed in my 3 seasons of management.

Looking To The Future

Next season will prove to be a big season in proving my managerial credentials. The majority of the current crop are running out of contract and despite having no transfer budget available and a small wage budget, I have an opportunity to mould this into a side of my style, using the free transfer market. Both Trotter and Henry have signed long term deals with the clubs and both have taken a wage cut, which is a real testament to their commitment. I don't think it will be an easy task but my aim in to produce a side that can push for the playoffs, with an ultimate aim of taking Millwall to the top flight for the first time since the 1980s. This will only be done by making the right signings and the right tactical approach. My tactics have since developed and I believe I have a philosophy that can achieve great things, but we will have to wait and see.

I was pleased to see both Bastingstoke and Croydon gain promotions and the will now be playing in League 2 and the Conference South respectively. This shows the legacy that I have left at the clubs and I wish them all the best for the future.

View attachment 333996View attachment 333995

I expect my next update to be a pre-view of the 2015/16 season with my new-look Millwall squad. Feedback greatly appreciated, particularly if there is anything you would like to see added. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Back