Real Madrid 1955-60: 5 European Cup tactic

• Thread starter Thread starter maxy67
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 38
  • Views Views 18K

maxy67

Reaction score
THIS IS ONLY INTENDED FOR REAL MADRID.

Hi, so this is a recreation tactic of the great Real Madrid side that won the first 5 European cups.

This is perhaps the greatest club side of all time. It is certainly the most successful - having won the European Cup for an incredible five times consecutively after its inception. Something that Barcelona, however great they are failed to do, so I have decided to try and re create their tactic :)

View attachment 209710

Pitch Size: Normal

Opp Instructions: Leave it up to assistant.

My faviroute game so far, due to the team being used to it now :)- 8 Goals, 12 CCC's, and 70% Possession.

View attachment 209714

"This is perhaps the greatest club side of all time. It is certainly the most successful - having won the European Cup for an incredible five times consecutively after its
inception. Di Stefano is the common link and the greatest player in this team of a stars - starting as centre-forward but dropping back to midfield, and even helping to organise the defence. Gento was one of best left wingers in history and the team gained a star to rival Di Stefano when Ferenc Puskas joined in 1958 after defecting from communist Hungary. He would play at inside left but frequently moved into space in the box and was a great goalscorer. His arrival forced the legendary French playmaker Raymond Kopa onto the right wing, where he was also superb. Complementing these attacking players Santamaria was the rock at central defence.

The team on the left is the strongest line-up in this period - after Puskas arrived and before Kopa left the club, to be replaced by the talented Luis Del Sol. This team would have played in the 1959 European Cup Final but for the surprise last minute omission of Puskas, who was not liked by the coach, Carniglia. Miguel munoz replaced Carniglia the following season and Puskas played in the next European Cup Final: the 7-3 victory against Eintracht Frankfurt which is commonly considered to be the greatest football match of all time. Puskas and Di Stefano were both still playing when the team made the Final in 1962 and 1964. By the time they won it in 1966 it was largely a different team, although Gento was still there, making him the player that has won more European Cups than anyone else. This was a team of stars, an idea which has defined the club to the present day. In that way, this team bears more than a few similarities to the Galacticos side of the early 2000s. However, this team was much better balanced and much more sucessful
"

Scored 28 goals in 5 games with this :)

I haven't lost a game so far, in the prototype of the tactic I drew and won against Barce.

Below is the line up I've been using, doing fantastic with it.

Roles: Limited Defender (DC) (Cover)

Fullbacks (support)

Defensive Mids (Support)

Wingers (Attack)

Adv PM (Support)

Poacher

Treq

<strong>[video=youtube;smC1J6BMndQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smC1J6BMndQ&feature=player_embedded[/video]

V2 Created, treq and poacher role updated, seem to score more goals.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
First time I have of the 55-60 Real Madrid can't remember it in "Inverting the pyramid." Looks interesting When I first saw only one play on Defend duty thought you would of conceded at quite a few goals. Need more information about side im intrigued.

First time I have of the 55-60 Real Madrid can't remember it in "Inverting the pyramid." Looks interesting When I first saw only one play on Defend duty thought you would of conceded at quite a few goals. Need more information about side im intrigued.

4867044.jpg
"
Coach: Miguel Munoz (from 1959)
Achievements: European Cup 1955,56,57,58,59,60; Finalists 62, 64
Key Players: Di Stefano, Puskas, Kopa, Gento, Santamaria, Del Sol

Star Player: Di Stefano
Formation: 2-3-5

This is perhaps the greatest club side of all time. It is certainly the most successful - having won the European Cup for an incredible five times consecutively after its

inception. Di Stefano is the common link and the greatest player in this team of a stars - starting as centre-forward but dropping back to midfield, and even helping to organise the defence. Gento was one of best left wingers in history and the team gained a star to rival Di Stefano when Ferenc Puskas joined in 1958 after defecting from communist Hungary. He would play at inside left but frequently moved into space in the box and was a great goalscorer. His arrival forced the legendary French playmaker Raymond Kopa onto the right wing, where he was also superb. Complementing these attacking players Santamaria was the rock at central defence.

The team on the left is the strongest line-up in this period - after Puskas arrived and before Kopa left the club, to be replaced by the talented Luis Del Sol. This team would have played in the 1959 European Cup Final but for the surprise last minute omission of Puskas, who was not liked by the coach, Carniglia. Miguel munoz replaced Carniglia the following season and Puskas played in the next European Cup Final: the 7-3 victory against Eintracht Frankfurt which is commonly considered to be the greatest football match of all time. Puskas and Di Stefano were both still playing when the team made the Final in 1962 and 1964. By the time they won it in 1966 it was largely a different team, although Gento was still there, making him the player that has won more European Cups than anyone else. This was a team of stars, an idea which has defined the club to the present day. In that way, this team bears more than a few similarities to the Galacticos side of the early 2000s. However, this team was much better balanced and much more sucessful
"

Not its not in inverting the pyramid, but its the side that made european football and real madrid what it is. Incredible side of players. Read this too...
http://www.europeancuphistory.com/euro59.html
A summary of their european campaigns.

Not many goals conceded at all.

Last edited:
Di Stefano sounds like the first "False 9" in football and Puskas possible the first "False 10"

Di Stefano sounds like the first "False 9" in football and Puskas possible the first "False 10"

Very much so. Puskas in international football though, was an out an out goalscorer- the best ever in modern football. something like 85 goals in 83 games. Something crazy like that.

I was just reading the book We Call It Soccer by Jerrad Peters, and he was talking about the 1954 World Cup Final between Hungary and West Germany. He mentioned Hungary's 3-2-4-1 tactic and I was wondering how I could make that on FM, but it looks like it pretty much beat me to it. There are differences between the diagrams of the formations but I think there would be a lot of similarities between the two especially with Puskas in the side, even though he did play differently for Hungary.

I think I might still give it a shot at making Hungary's 3-2-4-1, but I don't know if I will post it if I succeed since it will be taking a lot of your work, most likely the back 5 positions.

I was just reading the book We Call It Soccer by Jerrad Peters, and he was talking about the 1954 World Cup Final between Hungary and West Germany. He mentioned Hungary's 3-2-4-1 tactic and I was wondering how I could make that on FM, but it looks like it pretty much beat me to it. There are differences between the diagrams of the formations but I think there would be a lot of similarities between the two especially with Puskas in the side, even though he did play differently for Hungary.

I think I might still give it a shot at making Hungary's 3-2-4-1, but I don't know if I will post it if I succeed since it will be taking a lot of your work, most likely the back 5 positions.

Awsome. Its due to the fact that they're both WM formation variations.
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...enal-1930s-renovation-tactic-3-2-2-2-1-a.html

Good luck with the Hungary side, I attempted to make that several times. Hard getting these old tactics to work on FM. The game engine seems to have a bias toward 4-2-2-2, or 4-2-3-1 tactics.

Last edited:
The modern game has a bias towards those sorts of formations. Following the history of formations you will see they become more and more structured and drilled. The older tactics were a lot more fluid than the modern ones todays. They also played ridiculous things like 4 or 5 forwards that you could not get away with today. Even though the 4-2-3-1 is bringing back having 5 players in the attack, you can't line up with forwards.

What I've read about the history of tactics it seems that the which from formations like a 3-2-4-1 to a 4-4-2 was in part to the changing of the offside rule. I don't exactly remember the exact change to the rule or how it affected formations, but I think it either made teams think twice about pushing too many mean ahead or it required them to have more defenders to deal with attacks. I should find that book back in my school library and take another look. I think it was in an old copy of the FA's coaching manual.

The modern game has a bias towards those sorts of formations. Following the history of formations you will see they become more and more structured and drilled. The older tactics were a lot more fluid than the modern ones todays. They also played ridiculous things like 4 or 5 forwards that you could not get away with today. Even though the 4-2-3-1 is bringing back having 5 players in the attack, you can't line up with forwards.

What I've read about the history of tactics it seems that the which from formations like a 3-2-4-1 to a 4-4-2 was in part to the changing of the offside rule. I don't exactly remember the exact change to the rule or how it affected formations, but I think it either made teams think twice about pushing too many mean ahead or it required them to have more defenders to deal with attacks. I should find that book back in my school library and take another look. I think it was in an old copy of the FA's coaching manual.

Yeah I know why they've changed. It was from 2 at the back to three at the back, that was due to the offside rule, so a formation such as this was the answer to the changing of it in the 1930's.
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...9-history-tactics-links-tactics-included.html
Although I'd argue they're changing back now, Barcelona seem to play sometimes with only 2 defenders (I would not class Dani Alvez as a defender, and the left back always pushes very high up the field) Was merely commenting on football manager itself's Bias. Even defensive formations don't work well unless they're a predictable 4-2-3-1.

Last edited:
Looks good mate, got the day off so will give this a good go loved your brazil tac

Back