Real Madrid sack manager Capello

Lee

Administrator
Reaction score
Real Madrid have sacked coach Fabio Capello - just 11 days after the Italian led the Spanish giants to their first league title since 2003.

The 61-year-old still had two years to run on his contract at the Bernabeu, but drew criticism for his tactics.

Real president Ramon Calderon told Marca newspaper: "We've laid the foundations, but we need to find a more enthusiastic way of playing."

Getafe's German coach Bernd Schuster is tipped to succeed Capello.

Capello, who joined Real last summer from Juventus on a three-year contract, had also guided Real to the Spanish title during his one previous season in charge in 1996-97.

Calderon brought Capello to the Bernabeu last July and charged him with the task of reining in the players and clearing out dead wood on the playing staff.

Spanish pundits believe Capello paid a price for his treatment of England's David Beckham.

After Beckham confirmed he was joining LA Galaxy at the end of the season, Capello publicly declared he would never consider Beckham for the first team again.

Capello was forced to back-track on that, and it was Beckham's form which inspired Real to the title.

Capello's dismissal underlined that Real show little sentiment when it comes to firing successful managers.

Real's last Spanish title victory in 2003 was not enough to keep Vicente del Bosque in the job, while German Jupp Heynckes was sacked after guiding Real to the Champions League title in 1998.

Real's sporting director Predrag Mijatovic said: "We have taken the decision not to continue with Fabio Capello next season.

"It was a difficult decision but a unanimous one based on an exhaustive report I made to the board.

"We don't think Capello is the right person to lead Real Madrid into the future given what we want this club to achieve.

"Now we have time to think over who will be the next head coach."

Capello, who previously managed AC Milan and AS Roma in addition to Real and Juventus, maintained his record of winning a league title with every club he has managed.

When will they learn?

it'll proob take them like 2 years to recover :) Barca ftw

christ sake. how many times are Real Madrid going to do that.

fair play the people in charge at club are ******* noobs. I hope they don't win anything now for a few years cos they don't deserve to. The club was going in the wrong direction, through one its worst spells ever, they bring in one of the best managers ever who wins them the league and they sack him. ******* ridiculous.

Truely insane. I'm with the rest of you in hoping that they don't win anything now for a few years!

Im 50/50 on whether this is a good decision or not, on the one hand Capello won the league which was a mean feat but apart from the last 8 games or so the football was so boring and hard to watch and if he was going to continue that i would sack him because for a large period of the season i didn't enjoy watching Madrid and football is meant to be entertaining. The people who say that he should never have been sacked full stop are the people who didnt actually watch the full season that we had and just want to look on the internet and see good results.

However I feel that Capello was sacked because Calderon and Mijatovic aren't good at their jobs, Mijatovic especially because it was his fault Becks went because he tried to make himself bigger than Becks by delaying contract talks and they both said they would make Bernd Schuster manager in about February when we had no shot at winning the league and they are too scared to say they were wrong.

I just hope Schuster plays attacking football but i heard Getafe had the best defensive record in the league so im questioning how attacking he can be.

I disagree with you. In my opinion if you win you win.

do you also belive that a holes a hole?

yea don't matter how you dig it it's still a hole :p

Im 50/50 on whether this is a good decision or not, on the one hand Capello won the league which was a mean feat but apart from the last 8 games or so the football was so boring and hard to watch and if he was going to continue that i would sack him because for a large period of the season i didn't enjoy watching Madrid and football is meant to be entertaining. The people who say that he should never have been sacked full stop are the people who didnt actually watch the full season that we had and just want to look on the internet and see good results.

I know where you're coming from Grant, you follow Madrid more than most on here, but does that mean Mourinho shouldn't be kept at Chelsea because they're boring? Because although I've only seen highlights of some of Madrid's games this season, Madrid looked no worse to watch than Chelsea.

You're probably right about Calderon and Mijatovic though, but I still think they should have kept Capello cos the bottom line is he brought them their first league title in four years, and given that Barca are buying big this year, stability is really what they need to try and defend the league.

Why sack the manager that won you the league for the first time in four years? It really doesnt make sense to me..The chairman is obviously only in it for the short run and just wants money. He probably thinks less people will watch if the team play 'boring' football. Barcelona will win next season :)

Agreed. Should have stayed and made the team stronger. Barca deffo gonna win it now.