Real Sociedad - Los Txuri-Urdin: The Definitive Guide

Sam Rowark

Reaction score
View attachment 293962

REAL SOCIEDAD - LOS TXURI-URDIN
THE DEFINITIVE GUIDE

This side have been my favourite to manage so far on Football Manager 13. They're a fairly decent challenge due to the fact the media predict them to finish just above the relegation zone, on top of the fact their budget is non-existent.

THE TEAM

GOALKEEPERS: Carlos Bravo, Enrique Royo, Enaut Zubikarai.

DEFENDERS:
Dani Estrada, Lassine Cadamuro, Ion Ansotegi, Mikel Gonzalez, Inigo Martinez, Carlos Martinez, Alberto de la Bella, José Angel [loan].

MIDFIELDERS: Gorka Elastundo, Asier Illarramendi, Javi Ros, Ruben Pardo, Pablo Hervias, Xabi Prieto (c), Gonzalo Castro, David Zurutuza, Antoine Griezmann.

FORWARDS:
Carlos Vela, Diego Ifran, Imanol Agirretxe.

SQUAD NOTES

Clearly the team is lacking going forward and with little to work with in financial terms. It seems as if one up front is the most viable tactical option . The squad holds the bragging rights for the lowest average age and does indeed have huge potential. Ruben Pardo, Inigo Martinez and Antoine Griezmann are all players who could walk into any top side within a few years of good man management. Carlos Vela and Diego Ifran are both top notch poachers, therefore these should be main choice of front-men. The squad has some great wingers in Prieto, Griezmann, Castro, and even Vela can put in a quality shift and so a wide pitch and playing style seem appropriate.

TACTICAL ADVICE

RealSociedadSAD_TacticsTeam_zps6262b1c4.png

First of all I would like to say that this tactic is NOT UP TO SCRATCH of other alternatives here on FM-BASE. It has purely done well for me and I have not tweaked it much AT ALL.

4-2-3-1
appears to suit the team to perfection and so I have utilised this throughout the majority of my season with a few changes here and there.Obviously above, you can see the tactic I have used throughout the season and I shall upload this below. Due to the side's pacey wingers and poacher up front, along with a fairly attacking formation, balanced and standard philosophy and style working in tandem along with a counter attacking approach seem to work the best as you can then chop and change as the games progress to your own free will. Due to Sociedad's poor work rate and stamina in comparison to the rest of the league, standing off is a much better option than pressing. The back four's poor marking yet high speed lead me to believe a high defensive line and zonal marking are a sound option. Crosses should be drilled due to the majority of the strikers possessing better technical attributes than physical ones.

Both Zurutuza and Pardo possess great technical and creative ability. Therefore the playmaker should be in effect in the central attacking midfield position. Target man is optional, although if you do choose to use it, then run onto ball is your best bet. But, be warned that the target man's speed, off the ball, and anticipation must be decent enough. I have left tempo as default due to the fact I like to change mid-game, although you can change this depending on your playing style (possession; slow / counter; fast).

OTHER USEFUL TACTICS:
LP's 4-2-3-1 Deep Counter
Raikan's Awesome AMC

SHOUTS

My personal favourites are:

- Play through defense.
- Pass to feet.
- Hit early crosses.
- Stand off opponents.

Play through defense works well when you're needing that goal and so possession is compensated for more creativity. Pass to feet should always be on unless chasing a goal in the dying embers of a match, this works very well due to the squad's technical ability. Hit early crosses is good due to Vela and Ifran's high anticipation, off the ball and pace stats. Stand off opponents works well against pacier / more technically gifted teams although this will leave you relying a lot on your goalkeeper and is not recommended due to the Match Engine's poor response to long shots.

TRANSFER GOSSIP

You don't have much of a say during the initial summer window although I highly recommend you ship off Enrique Royo, Imanol Agirretxe and possibly Gorka Elustondo.During the winter window I was offered a transfer budget of six million pounds. I would persuade you to chase up Adryan, Wellington Nem, Doria, and Ademilson. You MUST keep hold of Inigo Martinez due to his future potential and future sale value. He's been by far my best player in the first season in charge.

Hi Sam,

It's a pleasure reading your guide. I played a game with Swansea but at the beginning of the 2nd season, 5 games in, I was offered a gig with Los Txuri-Urdin. I still have most of the original team with a few Argentinian additions.

If i may share a bit, I'm using a balanced 4-5-1 Barca style with control as default strategy. I am currently experimenting with a 3-4-3 but to no great effect as of yet.

In terms of players I am having a great time with the midfield boys. Up front Agirretxe turns out to be a fantastic striker especially from crosses. I am now 4th in the league going into the 27th league game of the season but bearing in mind that the teams behind me have played fewer games than me I think i'll be pushed back a couple places back. I think i can meet my target of finishing top half.

Would be great to have an update on your season.