Austinho9

Reaction score
Basically, I have tried training players, by sorting them into position/roles in my team.

However, it seems that as my youngsters get older, their 'star potential' decreases sometimes by a whole star or 1.5 stars, and I can never seem to get raise them to their full potential. I have a lot of superstars in my team bought from elsewhere, and this means that not many of my youngsters will play that much, although I do try and give them as many minutes as I can.

So, what would be the most effective way of getting young players to realise their full potential? I have linked them to learn from senior players too. I mean, would sending them out on loan or keeping them playing as a fringe squad member be more beneficial to them? Any ideas or tips?

Game time. First team football is very important. Even if you have to loan them out to other teams where they will get first team time.

Depending on how good your scout's/coach's judging player ability/potential are the star ratings they are given may not be entirely correct. As they get older it is likly that the scouts/coaches will be able to better judge their actual potential as they get nearer to it.

As for development, normally I will send prospects on a season loan once they get to 18. Then when they return I will keep them at the club for a season - probably playing them in the reserve squad. This will take advantage of your (hopefully) better facilities and coaches you have than the clubs you are sending your players on loan to.

I repeat this process - one year loan, one year at the club - until they get to 22 normally. If they haven't developed as desired by then I normally sell them.

I see. I have actually sent loads of players on loan to whoever's interested, but quite a few of them say they didn't learn anything, whilst I also kept the best 2-3 youngsters who will play in my first team.

Pretty much all of my scouts have 20 for both judging ability and potential, so I think that part aspect is alright.

To be honest, I do tend to give up on them when they get to about 19-20 years old when their star potential goes down and then I think they won't be any good to me anymore.

So maybe I should give them more time to develop. I'll try implement your on loan/keep at club repetition idea, so thanks for the advice! :)

Yeah you should probably hold on to them longer. As a rule of thumb, players normally stop seeing good gains in attributes after about 24.

if you have the likes of Sergio Aguero and the likes, they are being compared to them, i had noticed this in Fm09 when i had bought him and all the players (youngsters) i brought in looked like **** in comparison, even though at a different team they would have got 4-5 stars instead of the 2-3 they got there.

make sure the team you send them to on loan promise him either cover for the 1st team or definate 1st team playing time as well as check their training facilites in info screen, the better the better he becomes.

you need to give your players more time, try loaning them out until the age of 21 or even 22, i have some players on loan for about 4 seasons or so, they are nearly looking like taking over their respective positions in my 1st team, (saves you buying players in that position, you had them already) use that money to upgrade facilities etc, and if you dont need a certain player, he would be perfect to make a profit off...

Star rating drops as your clubs reputation increases. Verratti for some championship or league1 team will be 4 to 5 star player but for big clubs he will be decent player.

At start of the game your club reputation will be normal, as you start winning reputation grows. That means for reputation where does your player stand? For example player with CA/PA 170 will be star player, same player when your reputation grows will be a good player.

The star rating isn't definite, it depends on your club reputation, success and your current crop of players. If you have the best players in the world for each position plus backups then your team will still be rated with 2,5-3 stars on average.

@Raikan007: Funny you mention Aguero, because I have him in my team! But yes, I understand the concept of the star rating system being based on who's already on my team. I have already sold every player longer needed, so my team consists of about 22 players, plus 3 youngsters right now. So, I will try and give them more time to develop, and incorporate them into the first team as they get older.

@sunilvk7 and CorvetteC3: Ahh right, I didn't know team reputation made any difference! My team reputation at the moment stands at 82% so I guess you both be right there. What I have noticed is that youngsters star ratings drop on their 18th/19th/20th/21st birthdays if they haven't made sufficient progress in the past year. I know there are other factors involved (training, match experience etc.) but does this largely explain the sudden reputation decrease though?

Should i send my wonder-kid to League 1 side on loan from Premier league where he will get regular chance or keep him as backup??

Should i send my wonder-kid to League 1 side on loan from Premier league where he will get regular chance or keep him as backup??

he'd almost definately get a game in league 1 if he's a good player, but make sure it's not a club that already has good players for his position or he might not play very often. to avoid this you could look through the squads of the clubs that want to loan him out, and make sure you accept from a club that says they will play him instead of one that says he'll be backup as he may aswell be your backup if that's the case and then he would benefit from your better facilities.

You have to give em some first team action, and if they perform well there star ratings will go up.