Reaction score
After months of failing in the premier league I've attempted a game with Roma. After reading through some tutorials I decided to tailor the tactic to the strengths of the squad, hopefully getting the best out of Totti.

Usually my tactics either fail totally from game one and I'm sacked before Christmas or, the tactic seems to work really well up to a certain point then fails totally for no apparent reason.

My Roma save has been slightly unusual in that it got very good results at first and failed so dramatically so quickly. Here's how I setup.

De Sanctis(GK/D)

Micon(FB/A) Benatia(CB/D) Vagjai(CB/D) Criscito(FB/A)

Strootman(BBM/S) DeRossi(DLP/D)

Gervinho(W/S) Totti(EG/A) Danny(W/S)

Destro(AF/A)

Mentality: Control
Philosophy: Balanced
Instructions: Retain Possession, Hassle Opponents, Higher Tempo, Work Ball Into Box, Be More Expressive.

I had various different instructions like Push Higher Up, Play Offside, Shorter Passing but I got the best results with the above.

I had excellent results in friendlies including a 12-0 against Kaizer Chiefs. And an excellent performance and 3-2 result against the best team in the league, Juventus, in the Italian Super Cup.

After this pre-season I was convinced the tactic was sound going into the first game which was a convincing 0-3 defeat at home to Sampdoria, followed by an equally convincing 1-3 away at Atalanta. After watching the games back I decided to drop the Push Higher, Play Offside and Shorter Passing instructions and results instantly began to improve, both in Serie A and Europa League. Most satisfyingly the players were all performing really well and exactly how I wanted in their roles. Of course this wasn't to last, and slowly but surely performances have dropped away, as have results, with the depressing familiarity I've seen in other saves, until my job is untenable and I'm sacked.

As with previous saves there seems to be no pattern or warning to the loss of form. Just the players generally playing badly and the opposition playing brilliantly. I simply can't see how any tactic can have such a severe drop in effectiveness after performing so well against all the various offensive and defensive AI tactics from just a few games previous.

If anyone can point out any problems with my tactic, or offer any advice as to why it would lose form so dramatically, then please help!

Possible - switch your mids round, so your holding mid is on the right (assuming Maicon is preference in attack than Cirscito) and play Criscito as support with Danny on attack. Or you could try your wingers as inside forwards / playmakers and switch to wingbacks on support on one or both sides.

But to be honest I'll be watching your post to see a better response on this myself, as I experience too often the same thing as yourself and don't know how to resolve them. (hate this game lol)

I play a similar tactic to you, id recomnend keeping the shorter passing instruction on and add drop deeper, also telling your dlp to tackle hard helps a lot defensively.

I would change your FB's to (D) your B2B to BWM(D) and DLP to Support.

Shorter Passing, Retain Poss, Higher Temp, Hassle Op, Tighter Marking, More Expressive.

Can you post all the Match Statistics of the two games you won and (any) two games you lost.

I want to compare and see if anything sticks out.
Post your match training as well please.

I think you need to get rid of the B2B if you're trying to control the match. Need more of a holding role there IMO.