Rebuilding A Name - A Quest To Shake Off An Image

ollieconnolly

Reaction score
2nd October 2011

I sat there slumpped over my cars wheel, It had happened, my worst nightmare. 127 days after i was praised, 'he's back.' 'he's done his time, now he'll show what he can do.' It was over .....
I got home it was plastered all over Sky Sports news, the reporters and bloggers were having a field day, 'poor decision' they were saying by all parties involved, but they wernt to know the true reason for me leaving the club. I'm not ashamed to say i cried, i'd work so hard to restore a stock that had hit rock bottom just 4 years earlier.
'THAT' picture re-surfaced, this was rock bottom, surley no one would even take a punt on me now, already id missed out on jobs i felt worthy off due to fan protests, i knew it would be the same, it may be time to reitre ... it may be time to go away forever ........

url

Aside

Yes guys i'm back! I'm the lad behind the well received story The King is Dead! Long Live King Kenny...
This is my first FM 2012 story, and its almost a 'famous' Journeyman save as i look to salvage Steve McClaren's career, surley someone will take a punt on him as their manager whether home or abroad but how low will he be willing to sink to start the rebuilding.

Follow me on Twitter @ollieconnolly, be sure to comment so i know people's thoughts and how to improve .....
and have a read of the Kenny story, its a decent read!

---------- Post added 31/10/2011 at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was 30/10/2011 at 08:22 PM ----------

2 Months Later...

'That's why im easyyyyyy , I'm easy like Sunday morninggg, yeahh, yeahh, yeahhhh.'

url

During the last two months following Forest I’d completely taken time out of football, it had barley been on my mind, we had moved to Sothern France away from England, away from everything, i had lost the passion, the yearn for the day in day out experience of players/agents/fans/chairmen/the media. But In one crazy week it all began to turn around. I had been rung by Chris kamara and invited onto Goals On Sunday, i enjoyed the show and my previous exploits on there, but I told him I didn’t want it to be seen as a exclusive 'reviles all' about the Forest days, he obliged and said it will be a laugh, 'people will start to see the real you Steve.'

I'd kept in contact with England via Sky and the newspaper’s, the manager merry-go-round, was in full swing. In the Premier League Steve Bruce and Alan Pardew had been Sacked as managers of their clubs, with Mick McCarthy the odds on favorite for the Sunderland job, my name was plastered into the headlines regarding the Wolves job. Reporter after reporter rang me about the job, I off course reputed the claims, but deep down, it was back ..... That burning desire had returned, the job interested me, and i waited on tenterhooks for a call from my agent that Steve Morgan had been in touch.
The Saturday before GOS, my phone rang and my agents name popped up .....

Last edited:
Cant wait to see how this story turns out its a joy reading them every year!

cheers mate :) first comment feels good! will be a few more updates around 9, already been interesting to see who's interested in Mr McClarren

well when i used to do stories it was always good knowing people were reading and commenting! :)

It was not the call i wanted to hear, Wolves had cooled their interest due to fan reaction through mediums such as forums and radio phone ins, i was crushed, this was the second time. First Villa now Wolves, missing out on two premier league clubs because of an ill-fated stint with England, but had Capello faired well, he'd still walk into a top european job.

There was however a job offer that had come in, it wasnt a Premier League club it was Bristol City,
url

An interesting club, plenty of potential i was being told, players like Maynard, Piman and Kilkenny. A solid fanbase and possible premier league potential, a good option, they wanted me too, it was clear. This wasnt an enquiry this was a full job offer. Then the sticking point, NO transfer budget, and NO wages remaining players would need to be shipped. I sat and thought about it, it echoed of Forest, it had to be turned down. But it ignited something special in me, i know my reputation is at an all time low, but im sure some of my success' will count for something, i asked Adam my agent to activley tout me, The Derby and Middlesborough jobs looked like they may soon be coming up, i know now im ready to get back into action.
The hunt is on now, i know there's a huge pool of managers availible out there but im not being too picky now i just want a club with potential like anyone, im looking for anywhere

---------- Post added at 11:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

Time passed and time passed, i applied and i applied, not a sniff, we were passed Christmas now i'd missed out on atleast four jobs, Middlesborough, Derby, Doncaster and Heerenveen, the 'borough was perticularly upsetting me and Steve had been such good friends, he told me the fans were still seething from me 'walking out' on them to join England, that hurt it hurt a lot. I took stock again with ym family and Adam, he had told me to hold off until the summer has contact had told him there would be a lot of jobs coming availible and that he could get me a minimum of four offers by the end of May.
Myself and the Wife decided that would be the time the house was on the market and we waited for May and Adam duly delivered .........

21st May 2011

The craziest day of my life, ever! I woke up and just had one email on my phone, it was short simple, but was everything i had been waiting for.

Steve,
Everton, Aberdeen, Q.P.R, Your choice, you've got a week mate.

url

url

Such a tough decision, i was given a week to mull it over, this would be the job that could save my career. Q.P.R had good finance, Aberdeen comes with less pressure, but Everton is the bigger club, i had an interview arranged with Bill Kenwright on Wednesday, one thing i know this is the most defining point in my history.

url

A Stunning end to the Premier League season:
englishpremierdivisiono.png

Last edited:
Amazing story, i thought bristol would have been a fun challenge(hard, but fun) great story. You should write some books:)

Cheers mate :) you must be talking about the kenny one i assume?? i'll get a few updates done tonight cos im up till like 4

url
url

We met at a hotel in Chester, mid-week, i was nervous. It was surprising, my record stood up for itself. But as i sat there waiting for Mr Kenwright i had a feeling in the pit of my stomach. It was like my first ever job interview, playing over answers over and over again in my mind. The press had caught wind a day previously that Everton were in contact, but Paul Lambert was still instilled as the bookies favourite. That played on my mind 'keep talking up your experience' i kept saying to myself, 'outline your vision, show slow but steady progress.'

'Morning steve' he greeted me with a big grin and i hand shake, i pleasent gentleman.
'how's everything?' we chatted for a good hour. We didnt even talk football, he was interested in my life, my family what i did away from the game, football didnt even sneak into conversation. It was easy, flowing, towards the end of the lunch we began to discuss Everton football club, and his and my vision for the future. 'The fans are use to progressive slow building, and i want to continue that i stated.' 'this is a champions league club Bill, and thats not over ambitious, we can be there in five years no problem, there is a solid core here that just needs developing.'

He sat back in his seat, and seemed impressed, 'yeah yeah, i'm liking what im hearing, maybe you arnt such a wally after all.' and with that he grinned picked up the bill and was off, 'we'll be in touch in 48 Steve'

Last edited:

url

It was mid-June the transfer romour mill was in full swing, young Brazilian superstar Ganso had joined Man City in their pursute for European domination.
I'd had a late get up, usually i like to wake and feel busy, but today i overslept. As i woke i had 11 missed calls, 6 from my agent, two from the brother and 3 unknowns, i decided to wait and head downstairs. The wife wasnt impressed with me sleeping in, 'are you going to do anything useful today?' i chuckled, 'can't you get a ****** job already!'
i turned on the tv and pressed those all important numbers a mains heaven in an age of singing and dancing show, 4-0-5.
what happend next was one of the largest shocks of my life.

url

Breaking News: McClaren Named Everton Manager

Good morning, breaking news from Goodison Park as Everton had today confirmed that Steve McClaren is to replace David Moyes at the helm of the club.
Pure shock.

Looks good, interesting to see how you do with Everton with little money.

url

I had spoke to Bill later that day and off course it was true, Pre Season training was set t begin in just over a week. I knew how difficult the situation was going to be at Everton, David had been there for over nine years. I was walking into a club with no backroom staff, a strong core of pro Moyes lads, who im sure would almost certainly resent anything i said. I tried to prepare my opening speach to the lads over and over again every morning in the mirror. I had the fear of every manager going into a new club, 'thats not how we did it under David.' I knew i'd have to break up the Moyes blockade in order to get this club moving in the right direction and back up to where it belonged.
url

I had to set about assembling my backroom staff on day one, so i took the session on my own and kept it very light. I had asked Steve Round to stay on after working with him at Middlesborough and England, but he had decided after 6 years he needed a new chapter in his life. After many many phone calls, i had got my first few men in, all agreed to contracts in principle.

Martin Keown -
url
- Assitant
Neil Cooper -
url
- coach
John Murtogh -
url
- Coach
Ray Clemence -
url
- Goalkeeping Coach

Mark Chamberlain -
url
- Coach

I had decided that as I await backroom staff i'd give the players another three days off, this of course went down very well. I gathered my new team and we set about going through the squad with a fine toothcomb as we look to turn this place around, we came to some big transfer decisions.
I had spoken to David Moyes, as he had taken over the reigns at Southampton and i knew he'd come a calling for some of his loyalist players and we all decided to duly deliver, the players in question were Cahill, Saha, Neville, Osman and Yobo, we decided that yeh if the clubs could agree i'd allow all the players to go.

In terms of bringing players in i thought id use my contacts on the continent to try and attract some players that id worked with since i left England. I was still in touch with a lot of the Twente playeers, i knew there was some serious talent at that club and myself and Martin envisaged a Dutch revolution at Goodison.

Full Squad Breakdown:

Goalkeepers

Tim Howard
Jan Mucha

I strong area of the squad, Tim is a top class Premier League keeper and Mucha can more than back him up, may be an idea to get in a young player as a natural progression to Tim.

Defenders

Yobo
Duffy
Neville (C)
Hibbert
Jagielka (VC)
Heitinga
Distin
Coleman

A decent set-up of defenders, for me not replacing Baines last year has reallu hurt the side, needs some fresh blood with aging players such as Neville, Distin and Hibbert, may also look at replacing Phil as captain.

Midfielders

Ross Barkley
Jack Rodwell
Landon Donovan
Fellaini
Magaye Guyaye
Dinyar Billyaletdinov
Leon Osman
Tim Cahill
Mikel - Krohn Delli

A strong area of the squad, very happy that Moyes brought in Donovan, Fellaini another seriosuly good player, but may look to cash in as some big clubs interested in him. Rodwell and Barkley will be first teamers for 10 years without doubt

Strikers

Louis Saha
Victor Anichebe
Apostellos Vellios

The weakest area of the squad by far, true a fit Saha can be deadly, but he rarley is, and at 34 he must be past it, Vellios is deffinetly one for the future, this area must be addressed as soon as possible, will be sending my scouts all out for a 20+ goals a season striker.
I already have a few targets in mind.

Last edited:
Cahill: 'I Cant Work Under New Regime!'

url

Tim Cahill has today sent shockwaves through out Merseyside, as the fans favourite claims he simply 'cannot work under the new regime.' 'It will be too different' he told the Mirror. 'i cant imagine not having dave and steve around, it may be better for me to get away now.' 'The move would have nothing to do with money.' 'I'm taking stock and it could be better for everyone if i simply move away.' It is thought that the new sherrif in town former England boss Steve McClaren would allow Cahill to leave for the right offer, as he looks to remove a 'Moyes powerblock' embedded at Goodison, whether it will go down well with the blue noses of Merseyside remains to be seen.