Recommend Me Some Books!

No idea what sort of books you're interested in, so I'll name a few different ones I've read and enjoyed fairly recently:

Behind the Curtain: Football in Eastern Europe - interesting book on how football adapted through the rise and fall of the USSR. Covers leagues I knew little about, and connects football with the development and abolishment of communism in eastern europe.

Behind the Curtain: Football in Eastern Europe: Travels in Eastern European Football: Amazon.co.uk: Jonathan Wilson: Books

Up Pohnpei - lighted reading but an enjoyable book. It's apparently a non-fiction (some bits are clearly embellished) story about 2 guys who travel to the world's worst football nation, Pohnpei, and try to manage them to glory.

Up Pohnpei: Leading the ultimate football underdogs to glory: A Quest to Reclaim the Soul of Football by Leading the World's Ultimate Underdogs to Glory: Amazon.co.uk: Paul Watson: Books

Fatherland - completely different type of book. It's set in the hypothetical world in which Hitler won WW2, and follows a detective who uncovers a conspiracy within the government. Can't really do it justice with the description, it's one of the best books I've ever read. Archangel, The Ghost, and The Fear Index are also excellent books by the same author.

Fatherland: Amazon.co.uk: Robert Harris: Books

Luck: What it Means and Why it Matters - very thought provoking book on the impact of luck in sport. While it is written by a cricketer (I hate the sport personally) it contains applications to all sports and other aspects of life. It sparks interest about the definition of luck, whether luck is more important than skill, and whether we need luck in our society today.

Luck: What It Means and Why It Matters: Amazon.co.uk: Ed Smith: Books

The Secret Race: Inside the Hidden World of the Tour de France - bit of a self-indulgent post here as I realise the majority of you don't care about cycling, but it's the best biography I've ever read, although probably due to the revelations it contains. It's a biography of Tyler Hamilton, a former team-mate of Lance Armstrong, and it contains in depth details of Lance and his team's systematic doping procedure, and subsequent cover-up.

The Secret Race: Inside the Hidden World of the Tour de France: Doping, Cover-ups, and Winning at All Costs: Amazon.co.uk: Tyler Hamilton, Daniel Coyle: Books

"The ressentment in the moral" or the "Ethic" by Max Scheler. The first is much more light read than the second.

finished Life of Pi the other day. Really great book, and I think you can get it free on kindle.

Back