recommended sat navs

Jak

Reaction score
Hey guys
my mums birthday is coming up so she wants me (and my 2 brothers) to collaborate and finally buy her a sat nav so she won't get lost when she tries to visit us. My brother has been doing most of the searching so far but hasn't found anything for sure. Am I right in saying Tom Toms are the best? We have a budget of £90 but that could increase slightly if need be. Thanks in advance

In terms of what is the 'best' it's all personal preference on the user interface, they all operate off the same set of satellites and get their map updates from the same place.

Tom toms are simple to use, but personally i don't like them.

My Dad's Garmin is very nice, and i have a pretty old Navman which cost £125 a few years back, but still has most of the features someone looking to buy new would expect.

cheers Jake, could you tell me a more specific model? My brother is hoping to buy one from a shop in Leeds somewhere

I don't think mine is made anymore, but it seems quite similar to the Navman Tourer Life.

Most models from the Garmin Nuvi range will be decent and at the sort of price you were looking at.

Thanks Jake, will pass information onto my brother
anyone else got any recommendations?

Anyone know any good sat nav apps for the Android?

Anyone know any good sat nav apps for the Android?

The navigation app, which I think came preinstalled on my android, is pretty decent.

Think it's part of the Google Maps app.

I used the default Google Maps one, as Redders mentioned. You will be prompted to download some voice software when you first enter a destination, which I did, and it works like a charm.

Far less annoying than your typical Sat Nav device, and the Google Navigation system is extremely smooth when travelling the route, rather than your 'arrow' appearing to stutter constantly as is the norm.

I used the Google Maps navigation on my Android when me and my Mum where on the way back from Hemel Hemstead. It is a good app so that is the one that I will always use.

one thing I will say about that navigation app on android is that sometimes it doesn't seem to work properly. It will always give me a route to a destination and give me directions. However sometimes it tells me where I am and updates my progress which is very useful, sometimes it doesn't work. Still pretty good for free