Recovering a relationship with a player?

Scotty98TR

Reaction score
So I am Cardiff, and Mutch is a really good young player a have who I planned to play alot this season. But after I rejected **** bids from Newcastle from him, he handed in a transfer request. Normally I accept that once a player wants to leave, theres no point keeping him. But this time I rejected it because I knew that in a few season I can get into Europe (The way it's going I probably will this season).

But anyway, I talked to him and said this club is going places, we will win the league cup within 2 years and he said I was lieing. Now he refuses to talk to me or listen to contract offers and says that he feels the relationship has broken down.

Is there anyway to make him happy again, or is that? If I play him alot again (I stopped after he handed in the request) will it help? Thanks!

I've recovered a relationship by playing a lot, then praising form when available again, then he signed a new contract.

Normally I accept that once a player wants to leave, theres no point keeping him.

This is wrong mate. Ive never sold a player I didnt want to sell in my FM life. If something happens to my relationship player I wait till he pulls back first:

I either dont accept a transfer request or if it gets accepted by accident when I holiday I put asking price drastically up (they complain but I tell them they dont know their real value and they shut up) play him often, praise him in public when I can and sooner rather than later he changes his mind and wants to be taken off the tranny list.

Playing the player a lot works well, also sign favoured personnel (mainly staff as they cost less).

Best thing is Play him & Praise him when he plays well , if relationship has not broken down and you can still talk to the player , sign any player or staff he recommends.

This is wrong mate. Ive never sold a player I didnt want to sell in my FM life. If something happens to my relationship player I wait till he pulls back first:

I either dont accept a transfer request or if it gets accepted by accident when I holiday I put asking price drastically up (they complain but I tell them they dont know their real value and they shut up) play him often, praise him in public when I can and sooner rather than later he changes his mind and wants to be taken off the tranny list.

Disagree with you. If a player wants to leave there is no point keeping them no matter who you are or who they are. No player is bigger than the club-everyone can be replaced. If a player wants to leave he his performances will drop and he may upset other players. You will end up selling them for less because of their poor form or letting them rot in reserves wasting money on wages.

Disagree with you. If a player wants to leave there is no point keeping them no matter who you are or who they are. No player is bigger than the club-everyone can be replaced. If a player wants to leave he his performances will drop and he may upset other players. You will end up selling them for less because of their poor form or letting them rot in reserves wasting money on wages.

This is always my thinking apart from on special cases. Either way, this time I haven't and his morale is awful. Other players are also refusing to tutor him and are 'unhappy about Mutch's actions' or something along those lines. I think I may just end up selling him, as I have already scouted out and am closely watching a few replacements (Plus I just got a quality regen through the academy)

I will play him in less important games initally to make sure he doesn't cost me. If by the end of the season he isn't willing to talk to me, I will sell him.

P.S. since he said he wanted to move to further his ambitions, if I finish really high in the league or do well in the cups could that help? Currently on course for a suprise Top 4 finish, and the problem arose when i declined an offer from 14th placed Newcastle!

No buddy , i had some issues with Fellaini as well as you all know his temperment and Attitude (Like Rooney), I didn't talk to him after he refused to talk but he is still my key player at the age of 34, and surprisingly i am one of his favored personal, praise him and give him some playing time as take care of his training but punish him if he commits any violent behavior. If he is not performing well then talk o him and demote him to reserves, let him play with reserves for some time, then promote him after performing well in the reserves. Just be patient and be a good brainy manager, don't get emotional as this game's beauty is that. .

No buddy , i had some issues with Fellaini as well as you all know his temperment and Attitude (Like Rooney), I didn't talk to him after he refused to talk but he is still my key player at the age of 34, and surprisingly i am one of his favored personal, praise him and give him some playing time as take care of his training but punish him if he commits any violent behavior. If he is not performing well then talk o him and demote him to reserves, let him play with reserves for some time, then promote him after performing well in the reserves. Just be patient and be a good brainy manager, don't get emotional as this game's beauty is that. .

I still agree with Bondj. It's not about emotions, it's the fact that you are paying Fellaini to play in the reserves (in your example), plus the fact it will have had some impact on team morale when you fell out. Instead, you could of sold him and got in a better player, which would of increased morale and he would of played in the first team. Why wait for him to come round when you can sell and upgrade?

Not sure why you are dragging up a 5 month old thread but...

I still stand by what I said before and agree with Scotty. Do you think it makes sense to be paying good money for someone to sit in reserves, decreasing in value and upsetting other players rather than selling them and buying someone better? Does that sound "brainy"?

In your example of Fellani if he is still a key player for you at 34 i would suggest you are either too "emotional" and attached to him or not "brainy" enough to have found a replacement ;)

Last edited:
In my game Fellaini had issues with me if i fine him, but he is really a good player for me still going on I will upload his stats soon, and he wasn't disrupting team morale at all, after some games I always give him a chance to play and he always plays well, now he has no attitude at all and never got any red card for the last 2 years. I am not emotional I am giving him chance as because each and every game he performs over 7.5 (approx), he is a reliable key player in my save. Instead of wasting time on replacement's team cohesion I preferred to play him , and of-course it is brainy, wait for my upload. We play same game but in a different way, so you stand by your word, but it can be played in my way as well.

See my player.

Replacement or getting rid of a player is an easy method boss, but the challenge is utilizing the player and recover his bad patch and help him grow big. i am a FM player since FM 2009 si I have a confident understanding of this game. Sorry if I offend you in anyways but i was just sharing my views and game play. Posting few screenshots of Fellaini, have a look at his stats how good is he still at 35.(H) So therefore, sometimes it's good for everybody if you punish any players, if he get ****** try my method.

View attachment 445860View attachment 445859View attachment 445858View attachment 445857

I had this same exact case with Suarez. I rejected a bid from Barcelona and he got mad then I said we can make Champions League this year and said I was lying. Until in January he realized I was in 3rd place and he was just like ok I'll sign a new contract now and so I did :D