damiano874

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am looking for some information regarding croatian tactic in 1998 at the World Cup games. I know that they have been playing 5-3-2 with 2 central defenders, one SWC, 2 Wing backs. I consider Davor Suker as a poacher. But I am still thinking about the other positions and their roles (A,S,D).

Also I would like to get as much information as it is possible to set proper team and individual intructions. Maybe someone has information or is interested in help with this tactic?

Thanks in advance

Hi guys,

I am looking for some information regarding croatian tactic in 1998 at the World Cup games. I know that they have been playing 5-3-2 with 2 central defenders, one SWC, 2 Wing backs. I consider Davor Suker as a poacher. But I am still thinking about the other positions and their roles (A,S,D).

Also I would like to get as much information as it is possible to set proper team and individual intructions. Maybe someone has information or is interested in help with this tactic?

Thanks in advance

Here, this is how I would set it up:

Last edited:
This is another effort. Not sure about sweeper role:

Afff... I can not do anything... This is maybe 25th time when i started game with Hyde United and it is the same all the time. I occupy last places every time. Even if i sign some good players... I do not know. Here is the tactic which I created... I think that this version of FM is the worst that was ever produced. My team was predicted for 6th position. I used tactics from this forum, mine tactics, all tactics, f....g ****!! Read all articles, read pair & role combinations everything... I lose even with team from 10th english division by sick corners, free kicks and other bulls**t.

This game is really sick!! I would like to say to those retards which play barcelona and real madrid or any other clubs from even english second division where u have money to get decent players in one season, go and try to manage lower league team like a Hyde United and then show your AWESOME tactics. Disaster!

Here is the tactic. Now retards from barcelona and real show your ideas for this tactic if u feel that u are so strong coaches! I will go to my save and I will post results.

Here is croatian one...

For attacking
View attachment 253302View attachment 253301

Control...
View attachment 253300View attachment 253299

Counter
View attachment 253298View attachment 253297

And here are results...
View attachment 253296

So why did you change the tactic? You think you can change roles and duties and expect good results?

Last edited:
Afff... I can not do anything... This is maybe 25th time when i started game with Hyde United and it is the same all the time. I occupy last places every time. Even if i sign some good players... I do not know. Here is the tactic which I created... I think that this version of FM is the worst that was ever produced. My team was predicted for 6th position. I used tactics from this forum, mine tactics, all tactics, f....g ****!! Read all articles, read pair & role combinations everything... I lose even with team from 10th english division by sick corners, free kicks and other bulls**t.
You can't create ONE working tactic, so why the **** did you try to create 3 at the same time?

FM isn't bad because you're **** at it. You're just **** at it. You read guides (although that's debatable) and then ignore it when creating the tactics. How about actually applying what the guides say?

Pairs and Combinations talks about having a sitter, runner and attacker in a 3-man midfield. You don't. You have 2 sitters and a runner. Who's attacking? Out of that back EIGHT players, a sum total of ZERO is attacking anything.

Combine that with 2 strikers who will be far away, in line with each other and on the D-line, how are you expecting to connect with them? Pairs and Combinations (which you've read?) talks about striker combinations in the form of a Big Man/Little Man combo or a Creator/Scorer combo. You have neither? Both strikers are on attack duty, when llama3 states that the big man generally plays deeper and plays in the faster goal-scoring forward. You have both staying up for some reason.

So two players up front who will offer NO movement (the Poacher and TM/A do not provide any movement deeper or wider) and stay high on top of their markers. Your other 8 players are much deeper so will struggle to pick out these 2 as well.

Extremely poor tactics because of the poor role and duty combinations and extremely poor choice of TIs. It also seems that you're playing players completely out of position? You still haven't learned a thing.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance

Hi Damiano, it's almost a year since I last posted something here and being a back 3 manager my posts and threads have been about tactics with a back 3 with smaller teams. As you said it any tactic with a big team is 99% very good but try it with a smaller team and see how difficult it is to play. It's a "trial and error" job to make any tactic work with a small team so I'm going to give you a few hints and tips and see what you can do.
That Croatia team was my favourite in Fifa and ISS now Pro Evolution Soccer and I saw all their games in 96,97and 98.
The team usually played a 3-6-1 formation like this:

View attachment 887313

View attachment 253060

1-The WB (Stanic and Jarni) were well balanced attack/defense wise but I would rate it at 60/40 providing width and cutting inside as well.
2-Jurcic was a sitting DM.
3-Asanovic and Prosinecki were two attacking midfields controlling ball possession.
4-Boban was the main man, a true playmaker, proper free number 10, the kind of playmakers they don't do nowadays.
5-Suker had the whole width of the box to move around creating spaces not only for himself looking for a through ball but for the other 5 attacking players as well and he could shoot outside the box.
6-The plan B to this tactic was 3-5-2 with the introduction of Vlaovic in place of Prosinecki to play alongside Suker.

Hope this will help you in your quest for a working tactic.

Take care

Last edited: