Recreation Tactic: Zona Mista- 3rd in Serie A with Catania

maxy67

Reaction score
Previous tactis in my Series:

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...enal-1930s-renovation-tactic-3-2-2-2-1-a.html

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...2-grande-inter-1963-1967-unbeaten-tactic.html

I've decided to carry on my series of previous systems of play, some of the most important tactics that are not perhaps Total football or the modern barcelona (two tactics that people seem to be quite obsessed by, and quite rightfully so) that were perhaps forgotten by the wider publicbut I still believe to be remembered and I hope I Succeed in doing them some justice, if not your help is always appreciated.

Zona Mista
- The Mixed Zone

This tactic is the Zona Mista a modernised version of Catenaccio used in the 1970’s and 1980’s by Italian teams to great success including the great Juventus side under Giovanni Trapattoni who dominated Italian football and beat Liverpool to the tragic (Heysel ........Heysel Stadium disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) 1984-1985 European Cup Final. It is also the style of play used by the Italian national team who won the 1982 World Cup- this system was a system that allowed Italian football to rule the world.
The tactic was Created due to the death of the old Catenaccio system that was so thoroughly beaten by the total football played by the Ajax team of the early 1970’s- The Zona Mista was a tactical solution devised by the Italian coaches to marry the best features of both Zonal Marking and Catenaccio. In this system, the primary defensive tactic was Zonal Marking, however the libero was assigned to man mark dangerous opponents. This new system was incredibly potent, and the”real” reason today’s generation hear stories of “Italian Defense.” From the late seventies onwards, under the guidance of Giovanni Trapatonni the Italian giants Juventus started a cycle of dominance both within Italy and in Europe. The culmination of the Italian Football dominance was in the 1982 World Cup victory. For the Zona Mista defensive system, the consecration came in the form of Maradona’s tears and Gentile’s immortal words – “Football is not for ballerinas.”

The main points about this tactic are soaking up pressure and hitting on the break, not making tonnes of chances and winning 10 nil, against a team your far superior to.

I would suggest using this tactic with a small team who you wish to punch above your weight with, in my case I used Catania a team who was predicted to finish twelfth in the league but by January after holidaying finish 3rd​ a point behind first place Juventus and am in the semi’s of the Italian Cup. This is not meant to be used by huge teams who you can win the league with in much better style than this tactic (no Barce’s, Real’s etc) a number of my wins were down to counter attacking moves and 1 nil wins, but I managed to keep the wage bill down not buy a single player (and sell a few), and get a great position in the league.

Roles:

Left full back (Attack)- I wanted the fullback to overlap with the left inside forward and help attack on the break
Limited Defender

Ball playing Centre back- A modern day sweeper

CD (stopper)

Defensive winger right (Attack)- A feature of Catenaccio and Zona mista instead of using a rightsided fullback. I would play an out and out winger here if you can to try help set up goals. Falls back to become the fifth member of defence when defending.

Anchor Man

Defensive Mid (support)- I chose two defensive minded players, and not a DLP because I wanted to be able to soak up more pressure and hit on the break better and with these two defensive mids it allows the tactic to do this.

Advanced Play Maker (Attack) - Think Platini, a scorer of goals as well as the main playmaker of the team.

Inside Forward (Attack)

Advanced Forward (Attack)- The two attacking players are the ones who are there to run on to balls and hit a team who’s sent all their men forward attacking you on the break.

Starting Strategy- I go between Standerd or Counter depending on how good the team I’m playing is- So if I was to play Juventus I’d definitely play counter.

I spent quite a lot of time trying to get this tactic right, and I think I succeeded in getting a tactic that was great at counter attacking for smaller teams, but if you have any criticism and suggestions I’m very open to hearing anything you have to say!

Last edited:
Great work again mate, loving all your historical tactics. Keep them coming! What have you got up your sleeve next?

Thanks mate, glad to hear you like them!

I thought of doing a Brazil 1970- with the 4-2-4 and ultra attacking, but I think next I'm going to do a tactic thats very similar to total football- The style of play used by Dynamo Kyiev in the 1970's and 1980's (dominated the USSR's football and won a european trophy as well as containing most of the USSR's international side) where the whole team was expected to attack and defend, but relied a lot more on counter attacks compared to the style used by Ajax.

Wow,nice job on making this tactics.

im a fan of "Defensive tactics" gona try it and the Inter tactic :D

Keep up the good work :)

Wow,nice job on making this tactics.

im a fan of "Defensive tactics" gona try it and the Inter tactic :D

Keep up the good work :)

Thank you mate, hope you enjoy them, and hope they bring you success! They certainly help if your a smaller team, nothing like beating a big team after a counter attack or parking the plane as Jose would explain it.