Reds land Robbie

Jack

Castaway
Reaction score
Nottingham Forest have completed the signing of United States international Robbie Findley, subject to securing a work permit.

The 25 year old striker, who is a free agent after leaving Real Salt Lake at the end of the MLS season, will sign a two-and-a-half year Forest contract.

Findley has been capped 11 times by the US and was a key member of their squad for the World Cup finals during the summer.

The speedy performer started three of their four games during the finals in South Africa - including their meeting with England.

0,,10308~9283928,00.jpg

Findley launched his career in the MLS with LA Galaxy but enjoyed his greatest success with Real Salt Lake, scoring 29 goals in 91 appearances.

He helped himself to 12 goals during the 2009 MLS season and was the league's joint-third highest scorer .

Findley elected to leave the MLS to try a secure a contract with a European club - an ambition he has fulfilled with Billy Davies' Reds.

Source - http://www.nottinghamforest.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10308~2250323,00.html

Thoughts on this, anyone? Good for us to have an international amongst the ranks I think.

How on earth is he going to get a work permit?

To be honest, I've never heard of him myself, but it seems he had a good World Cup so should be a decent signing, and as you said it'll give you a big boost having a WC international in your team.

How on earth is he going to get a work permit?
If he's a regular at international level WP shouldn't be a problem.

Ah just saw it said he's had 11 caps, I'm not sure then.

IIRC, he had a good world cup. Quick and strong. Has the physicality to survive in English football, and maybe the talent too. Worth a punt.

If he's a regular at international level WP shouldn't be a problem.

Regular international? 11 appearances isn't enough. I'm sure the ruling is something like 70% of the countries competitive games in the last two years. But without looking it up I cannot be sure. This may go down to an appeal.

Is he a winger or a striker because his goal scoring record in MLS is a bit meh if he's striker. Pace is a lethal thing to have in the championship though.

Is he a winger or a striker because his goal scoring record in MLS is a bit meh if he's striker. Pace is a lethal thing to have in the championship though.

Striker.

Not that we need another striker.

1) Although he only has 11 caps i believe all if not at least 8-9 of them came in the past year, year and a half

2) He's a striker irl as well as on the game. Great pace.

If the work permit is accepted then it is a great deal for both Robbie and Forest. Another American, Edson Buddle, is currently training with Brum. Hopefully he'll get a contract too.

Guys I hate to break it to you but Findley is absolutely *****. I'm American and no one here rates him highly...yeah he's really fast but he has absolutely nothing else going for him. He's a really similar player to Eddie Johnson except without the prolific (MLS) strike rate. And at 25 he just isn't going to improve much. It's too late for him to improve his very poor touch or his very poor finishing skills. Guys like him and EJ got screwed by the American system of development...they were always the fastest guys on their teams, playing against poor opposition, so the tactics always were "boot the ball downfield and see if he can run in a straight line and get it." EJ came to England at a younger age and after a few years migh have finally emerged as a decent caliber Championship striker (he played very well for Aris in Greece last year on loan), but he absolutely tore up the MLS at times when he played there. Findley, even with his pace, has never even been a great MLS player, just a decent striker by our standards. So honestly I'd be surprised if he scores any goals at all.

For some reason I expected this to be about Liverpool signing Robbie Keane

this guy is a very very good player, very underated irl IMO. Should be the spark that Forest need ;)

shud be a decent signing. Can't go wrong being a free

Forest already have like 6 strikers.

Bye bye Tyson and Adebola I guess :|

Guys I hate to break it to you but Findley is absolutely *****. I'm American and no one here rates him highly...yeah he's really fast but he has absolutely nothing else going for him. He's a really similar player to Eddie Johnson except without the prolific (MLS) strike rate. And at 25 he just isn't going to improve much. It's too late for him to improve his very poor touch or his very poor finishing skills. Guys like him and EJ got screwed by the American system of development...they were always the fastest guys on their teams, playing against poor opposition, so the tactics always were "boot the ball downfield and see if he can run in a straight line and get it." EJ came to England at a younger age and after a few years migh have finally emerged as a decent caliber Championship striker (he played very well for Aris in Greece last year on loan), but he absolutely tore up the MLS at times when he played there. Findley, even with his pace, has never even been a great MLS player, just a decent striker by our standards. So honestly I'd be surprised if he scores any goals at all.

Pace can get you so far in the Championship, it's unreal. If he's quick, he'll do alright.