Reincarnation in the Eternal City(An AS Roma story)

Clince121188

Reaction score
28,June,2012​
Il Capitano Calls Time On Playing Career​

View attachment 334658

It's a cold day for the capitals football supporters as Francesco Totti has today announced that he has kicked his last football for AS Roma. The player had been a servent of the Serie A club since 1989, progressing through the youth system to become a legend of the senior team. In an era where we are used to footballers flaunting themselves on the transfer market, Totti defied the norm and remained ever faithful to his beloved AS Roma throughout his career. Leaving his hotel this morning Totti briefly explained his reasons for retiring from the game,"Although I have been able to remain consistent in my play over the last couple of years, playing football has not given me the same joy recently as it did when I was more physically able."

A Press Conference has been announced for this afternoon, which is expected to be a celebration of the career of Romas greatest ever player.

Excerpt from Press Conference

Interviewer: Francesco, what is your fondest memory from your incredible career at AS Roma?

Totti: I know it's an obvious one, but winning the Scudetto in one of the greatest sides the world has seen over the last 20 years was an amazing experience. It was not only becoming a champion, but also the incredible team I got to play in. With the likes of Zanetti, Tomassi, Emerson and Aldair dealing with the oppositions attacks, it left me free to supply 2 of the greatest strikers in the history of Serie A; Montella and Batistuta and to find positions for myself to score. Add to that the legendary Cafu marauding up and down the right with Candella doing likewise on the left and you can only imagine how much fun it was to play in that team. That kind of environment is one which all footballers should be able to experience and to have been able to experience it myself was a great honour. We have had great times since then too, but that team is the one I am always thinking back on.

Interviewer:What lies ahead for you now as you hang up those mythical boots?

Totti: For now I guess I will just have to wait and see. I have many objectives and goals in life and maybe one day I will return here to help my beloved Roma in some way.

1,July,2012​

Legend Reincarnate!

View attachment 334659

Francesco Totti, days after retiring from his position as a player of AS Roma, has today come back to the club as manager for the forthcoming season. Speaking at a brief press conference this morning the Roma legend admitted that it "had been hard to keep the situation from spilling out into public knowledge". Totti divulged that his ambition for the future, is to build a team over the coming years which might be fit to be talked about in the same breath as the classic team that he himself was involved in.

View attachment 334660

Last edited:
Next update will be up today some time, including transfers and pre-season.

Should be good, Lamela, De Rossi, Bradley and Pjanic in Midfield!:)

Not sure Totti's boots would be Mythical though, as that would mean they never really existed except for in stories...:)

Going to follow this, Roma truly did have a great team in 2000 and I loved to manage them in the 2001/2 CM. Good luck, Lamela and Florenzi really do become great players. On my Chelsea save that I was playing, Florenzi was the best Italian player after 6 years.

Excerpt from FourFourTwo Article on new Serie A season

AS Roma

View attachment 334969

Transfers

View attachment 334964

AS Roma have conducted very little in the way of transfer business over the summer. It could easily be argued that the clubs biggest acquisition occurred when they converted club hero Francesco Totti from player to manager. As well as the appointment of Totti as manager, the club have also brought in Argentine centre back Gabriel Paletta, for extra defensive cover. Promising Genoa youth winger, Edoardo Caltabiano was also brought in, but will more than likely be seen as one for the future.

Key Players

Daniele De Rossi

View attachment 334965

In handing him a 5 year contract in february, Roma showed just how integral De Rossi is to Romas present and future. The Defensive midfielder has been a rock for club and country ever since his emergence for both teams and indeed it is hard to imagine either team without De Rossi sitting in front of the defence. Without current manager Tottis presence in the team, Roma will depend even more so this season on De Rossi's experience and influence in the coming season.

Pablo Osvaldo

View attachment 334966

With 11 goals in 26 appearances last season, Pablo Osvaldo impressed moderately. Without Tottis attacking threat this season, he will be looked at to step up to the plate and slot home a few more chances this season. Much of his effect on the score-sheets in Serie A in the 2012/2013 season may depend on the next player on our list.

Miralem Pjanic

View attachment 334967

Although lacking the precision in finishing of Totti and at a young age slightly under-developed, Pjanic will have a heavy weight on his shoulders in Serie A this season, as he will more than likely be looked to, to step into the Totti role behind the main striker in the team. Many had expected much from the youngster after signing from Lyon last season and it could be argued that he failed to live up to those expectations. This season could be a decisive one in the players career at the club and he could end up as an integral part of the Roma team by the end of it.

Nicolas Burdisso

View attachment 334968

Having signed for Inter Milan in 2004, the Argentine international centre back has vast experience of Serie A and this will be key as he looks set to be the commanding central hub of the defense. Roma are currently in the midst of a progression between teams and Burdisso will be responsible for maintaining some stability and consistency at the back.

Pre-Season

Roma enjoyed mixed success over the course of pre-season. This could partially be down to Totti getting to grips with the phylosophy he wants the team to play with and inter-changing tactics, but Roma fans will be expecting greater success over the course of the season. Roma played with great flair and excited at times in most of their games, but points are all that will matter come the end of the season. Youngster Eric Lamela appears to have a big part to play this season but whilst performing quite well at times his play was also slightly erratic in others.

Tactics

View attachment 334971

With a new manager and a team that has not quite had time to gel without a huge missing presence on the pitch, this season will more than likely be one of transition for the capital club

View attachment 334970

Expected Finish: 6th

(Pre-Season fixtures will be posted in the next update. It's just that I have played a couple of games in the league and they would be in the screenshot)

Last edited:
If you have any ideas of what you'd like to see in the next update, let me know. I will be doing updates every two months. The next update will be October 1st.

This story will now be put on hold for a while.

I've decided in the wake of Fergies retirement and as a huge United fan that I will attempt a story on the Future of United post Fergie.