Releasing a player who is popular with other squad members?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GavinSE1

Reaction score
Question: If I choose not to renew the contract of an underperforming but popular player within my squad will I encounter morale or performance problems with the players who disagree with my decision? Does anyone have experience with this situation?

I'm managing Man City and I don't want to renew Robinho's contract. However, several of my star players have expressed the opinion (in their "Personal" page) that they would be disappointed to see Robinho leave the club. These players also have Robinho listed as a favourite

I have plenty of money to pay Robinho, but he is the 5th best striker in the squad, and he still wants to be the highest paid player at the club. On principle, I think I should let him go, and it will free up a place in the 25-man squad. But if all his friends are unhappy as a result, I'd rather pay him what he wants so that everyone (but me) is happy.

Let his contract run out and start winning games.

They'll forget about him soon enough.

If you dnt want him mate drop him. It will cause unrest for a while but once you keep performances up the team will be fine after a few weeks.

If he's the 5th best striker in the world, it'd be ridiculous to let him go on a free. He's most likely your best striker, so why do you want to free up a slot in the 25-man squad? Id they're not going to do a job as well as Robinho, then why?

Also, you'll get ripped by fans, board and players. Just renew his contract.

I had a club legend, everyone loved him but he hadn't performed for a few season and spent most of last season on loan. Sold him for £30million (for a 29 year old) and all the squad and fans moaned at me despite me being the one who signed him in the first place! I suppose with some players it's just like that.

Renew is contract and if you don't want him, sell him in the start of the next season, he ages rapidly.

As long as you don't terminate his deal or offer him out then the squad will not react, just letting his contract run down is probably your best option.

If he's the 5th best striker in the world, it'd be ridiculous to let him go on a free. He's most likely your best striker, so why do you want to free up a slot in the 25-man squad? Id they're not going to do a job as well as Robinho, then why?

5th best striker in the squad mate.

Thanks to everyone for the quick responses. Based on what some of you have told me, I think I'll let Robinho's contract run out and hope that continued good results on the pitch keep the squad happy.

If his salary demands weren't so high (160k/week + goal/appearance bonuses), and he wasn't over 30 years old, I would renew his contract and then sell him if he didn't perform.

However, I don't think any club would agree to pay his salary. So, if I sold him, I would need to pay him while he plays somewhere else. Also, the market doesn't value him very highly, and it is now late May and nobody has tried to sign him on a pre-contract (which happened very quickly when Santa Cruz had 6 months left), so I probably wouldn't get much for him either.

The 5th best striker in his squad not the world

Status
Not open for further replies.