Relegation idea stupid - Whelan

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
sGG8E.jpg

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan says he would pull his club out of the Premier League if promotion and relegation were scrapped.

More...

Well, it is a fairly obnoxious idea, would give no chance of the other 72 clubs below a chance to get promoted.

That is probably the stupidist idea I've ever heard.

I wish Dave Whelan was my Dad. Second time i said this already this week but he is the only person in football to actually speak any sence.

72 clubs? Don't you mean 7000 (140 Leagues, 480 Divisions all leading up to the Premier).

EDIT: The guy I quoted changed his post, now I look like one of those insane people in Tesco's shouting at cheese.

Very very stupid idea. Would make the lower leagues pretty much pointless.

Would make the whole English league system pointless. One of the stupidest ideas I have heard and none of the lower league teams would have anything at all to play for.

Would make the whole English league system pointless. One of the stupidest ideas I have heard and none of the lower league teams would have anything at all to play for.

Agreed. Terrible unworkable idea

P.S: Where the **** have you been?

I think everyone agrees :p

P.S. Will PM you :)

I did laugh when I read about this proposal earlier. How boring would Football be without the excitement of the relegation dogfight?

I did laugh when I read about this proposal earlier. How boring would Football be without the excitement of the relegation dogfight?

It would make so many fans walk away-simply nothing to look forward to whatsoever.

How long do you rekon it's take for the Champo to overtake the EPL, and chances of EPL teams being barred from FA cup?