MJHendry

Reaction score
England appoint Hendry as manager

MJ Hendry has been appointed as the new England coach in succession to Fabio Capello.

The announcement was made at a press conference at the English FA's headquarters this morning.

In a statement to the press, the FA's chief executive commented that MJ Hendry was the unanimous choice of the FA's selection committee and they fully believed he would be capable of guiding the team successfully to the upcoming World Cup.

English FA indicate their expectations

Your employers at the English Football Association have told you that they expect England to qualify for the upcoming World Cup.

They expect strong performances from the national team throughout the Qualification period and wish to remind you that the hopes and dreams of this proud footballing nation rest squarely upon your shoulders.

So no pressure then

If you win the world cup well done.

If you don't get to the semi's you suck.

MJ Hendry faces his first challenge as England manager this week, as the Three Lions take on minnows Andorra, and the more immoveable object of Croatia. The former England Under-21's International, who had an injury plagued playing career with teams such as Colchester, Ipswich and Bolton, has been spotted at numerous games this season, including the UEFA Cup Qualification triumphs for Man CIty and Aston Villa, as well as Portsmouth's Community Shield victory over Manchester United. His squad selection announcement has caused some surprise over a few individuals, with a number of players being called up in line to win their first cap for their country.

England World Cup Qualifying Group 6 Match Squad

Goalkeepers

Scott Carson (West Bromwich Albion)
David James (Portsmouth)

Defenders

Micah Richards (Manchester City)
Luke Young (Aston Villa)
Wayne Bridge (Manchester City)
Ashley Cole (Chelsea)
Nicky Shorey (Aston Villa)
John Terry (Chelsea)
Michael Turner (Hull City)
Matthew Upson (West Ham United)
Ledley King (Tottenham Hotspur)
Phil Jagielka (Everton)

Midfielders

Nigel Reo-Coker (Aston Villa)
Scott Parker (West Ham United)
Michael Carrick (Manchester United)
Joe Cole (Chelsea)
Steven Gerrard (Liverpool
Frank Lampard (Chelsea)
Jimmy Bullard (Hull City)
James Milner (Aston Villa
Ashley Young (Aston Villa)

Strikers

Theo Walcott (Arsenal)
Michael Owen (Newcastle United)
Jermain Defoe (Tottenham Hotspur)
Andy Johnson (Fulham)
Bobby Zamora (Fulham)

With players such as Wayne Rooney, Gareth Barry and Rio Ferdinand making disappointing starts to their seasons, opportunities have been presented to Bobby Zamora, Jimmy Bullard and Michael Turner to introduce themselves to the International scene. Nigel Reo-Coker and James Milner are the other potential debutants in the squad, and Hendry's blend of youth in the form of Theo Walcott, Ashley Young and Micah Richards, are likely to give fans a glimpse into the future of Englands football.

No real surprises to Hendry's selection and fans are sure to be entertained and excited by the prospect of international football.

Make it realistic, Draw, draw, win, and then go out

But good luck hope you win

I'm loving all the confidence :)

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

England vs Andorra Pre-Match Press Conference

How would you describe your relationship with Andorra manager David Rodrigo?

I have a lot of respect for any manager with a job as tough as the Andorra Football team. It takes great patriotism and pride to take over such a job, and I wish him and his team all the best in the Qualifying campaign. There is no rivalry between us.

Joan Carles Toscano has been pinpointed as a possible threat to the England defence in the upcoming match. Do you agree with this assessment?

In my view, Andorra will really need to take their chances when they get them against us. Toscano is a player who has ability, and if he gets chances, he has sufficient talent to put them away. However, I do foresee Andorra having a tough time against us, although I will make sure my players are not under the illusion that the game is beyond doubt. We will make sure the game is ours.

You recently asked Jamie Carragher to come out of international retirement and pick up his playing boots again, only for Carragher to turn you down. How do you feel after the rejection?

Jamie is a quality player, well worthy of wearing the England shirt. I wanted to give him the chance that he hasn't been given with previous managers, and give him the chance to assist his country's push for success. Jamie would definitely have been part of my plans as England manager, as would Paul Scholes, who I also asked to come out of international reitrement. Unfortunately, neither felt it was in their best interests, and both have now turned to focus solely on their club football, and I wish them all the best. Both would have made a difference, but I also feel that we have players of sufficient quality to take their place.

You have sparked a major national debate with the shocking revelation that you have decided to drop Rio Ferdinand from the England squad. How do you see this influencing the team?

I made it clear from the start of my tenure her that I would not pick players based upon reputation, rather that i would select in form players. This provides the incentive for players, who are not regular England players, to perform for their club, as well as creating competition for places. Rio should not be downhearted by his non-selection, but he does need to know that his place in the team is not certain, and that his club performances will need to be of a high standard to be selected. This is the case for all players. In terms of squad morale, I feel that players such as Michael Turner and Matthew Upson, who are often overlooked, will feel that they must take this chance to impress me. So I'm not worried that Rio's absence will upset the team.

Jimmy Bullard could win his first England cap after your decision to call him up. How do you think he will handle the pressure?

Well, everyone knows what type of player Jimmy is, everyone knows his enthusiasm and his work rate are exceptional. He loves his football, and it's clear to see that in his performances. I think it's time for him to step up, he's been a constant threat at clubs like Fulham, Wigan and his current club Hull, and he's shown he can make a big contribution to those teams. And I see no reason why he can't do that with England. I mean, he's a big boy, he knows the pressure of the big matches, and he's 29, so he's experienced. You know, for the younger players, this might be a harder experience, but I think for Jimmy, this is just another challenge for him to take on.

Last edited:
You make a good call. But i call other players in my team.
Joy Hart(Man City) for Goalkeeper
Rodwell (Everton) for midfield
And never ever let Rooney out

Good luck

You make a good call. But i call other players in my team.
Joy Hart(Man City) for Goalkeeper
Rodwell (Everton) for midfield
And never ever let Rooney out

Good luck

Ok Fair enough I like Joe Hart, and Rodwell is decent, but in my game, they aren't performing as well as other players, and Joe Hart is second to Given in goal for Man City.

This is looking good mate :) Like the title, hope you can win the World Cup :) By the way, if you need any fantasy kits to use in your story I will be willing to make them, just post a request on my thread :)

Andorra 0 v 4 England

Teams

Andorra

José Antonio
Márcio
Pedro Serrano
Ildefons Lima
Toni Lima
Aníbal Lopes
Goncalo Borges
Sergio Moreno
Marc Pujol
Joan Carles Toscano
Fernando José Silva

England

David James
Luke Young
Ashley Cole
Michael Turner
John Terry
Steven Gerrard
Ashley Young
Michael Carrick
Jimmy Bullard (Frank Lampard)
Jermain Defoe (Theo Walcott)
Bobby Zamora (Andy Johnson)

Goals

Sergio Moreno (OG) 20 - Steven Gerrard cross in, Jimmy Bullard header glanced off Moreno, which proved decisive to take it past José Antonio.
Ashley Young 26 - Luke Young's cross from the right side was perfectly placed for Aston Villa team-mate Young to score a close range volley.
Michael Carrick 42 - A cleverly worked one-two free kick with Steven Gerrard put Michael Carrick one-on-one with José Antonio, and from a tight angle, Carrick finished well.
Jimmy Bullard 46 - Steven Gerrard's cross provided Bullard with an easy tap in.

Man of the Match: Ashley Young

Post Match- Not a bad performance, but one which I felt deserved more goals. Andorra defended deep and in numbers, so space was an issue, and players couldn't run at the Andorrans, which limited players like Jermain Defoe, who was mostly involved with link up play rather than having a go. Pleasing to see Jimmy Bullard get on the scoresheet with a close range tap in. We were very impressive down the right, with 3 of our 4 goals coming from Gerrard or Luke Young's crosses, which indicates that perhaps with a more suitable front man, such as Peter Crouch instead of Jermain Defoe, the score could have been higher.

---------- Post added at 07:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

BBC RADIO 5 LIVE INTERVIEW

MJ Hendry takes time out from his schedule to answer questions from some of England's avid fans.

It was great to see Steven Gerrard on such good form for his country, but how do you feel you can solve the problem that is him and Frank Lampard playing in the same team? (Sam, Witham)

Good question. I think in past years, the problem has been the positional play. In my view, England play best when the ball is played out to the sides for a winger to put a cross into the box onto the head of the awaiting striker. We saw this against Andorra, Gerrard was on top form and was putting in crosses all over the shop, and with maybe Peter Crouch up front, we could have scored 6 or 7. Lampard is more the goalscoring attacking midfielder. His long range shooting is outstanding, and he has the ability to produce a curling 30 yarder or even a thunderstruck 35 yarder. I can't really say why the two don't seem to play well in central midfield together, maybe it's a case of some sort of 'creative overload' or something, I don't know, but I think Gerrard in this winger position gives him more opportunity to assist his team-mates, and for Lampard to provide us with more of that amazing long range ability. Good question, that's one to think over I think.

Hi, Matt, congrats on the first win, great to see a good start. England's goalkeeping position has always been cause for concern. Under your management, who will become England's number one? (Neil, Manchester)

You're right, England have had problems in that area, both in recent times and further back. There's no way to tell how any player will do for their country, as playing for your club and playing for your country are two completely different experiences, the only similarity being that there is a ball in there somewhere. It's simply a case of trial and error, one game it could Scott Carson in goal, the next Paul Robinson, the next David James, Robert Green and so on. There really isn't a stand out player in that position for me, but it's up to those players to show me who deserves it. And you ever know, some youngster might come in and do a spectacular job. I'm very interested to see Joe Hart's progress, as looks to be a very good prospect, but at the moment, Shay Given is in front of him at club level. So, I can't say anything, until bigger challenges have presented themselves and one individual stands out among the rest.

Hey Matt, I know everyone else will be asking questions about the game on Saturday, but I want to know what your hobbies are? (Ed, Cambridge)

Haha, nice and original, I like it. Well, to be honest, the job takes up alot of my time. I'm not married, so I really do give the position most of my days, and some of my nights. I've played a bit of guitar in my time, but football has always been my first love, so when I'm not doing work with the FA, press conferences, or doing preparation for games, I'm probably at a game somewhere. So, I can't blamed for not having my mind on the job. How about you?

Oh, cheers for asking. Well I'm still in college, so mostly being with friends, I guess. I play a little guitar as well, a ukelele in fact, so a really little guitar. But yeah, mainly the same, to be honest, it's always been about football.

Well that's good to hear. Thanks alot for your question.

What players are the most entertaining in training? I've got a feeling a Mr Bullard might be mentioned. (Gavin, Derby)

Yeah Jimmy is the first name that comes to mind. It's a never a dull moment with him around, and he's one of those people who gets everyone involved and talking, and he's just a great guy, really fun and also a great player, so the best combination. All the lads are great guys, and make the experience a whole lot more enjoyable, which is what you need, especially in international squad training environments. Defoe, Gerrard, Ashley, they are all really nice guys to work with.

Last question. Thought I'd jog your memory with a yesteryear. I didn't get to see many of your games as a player, as you were frequently injured, but I was there when you scored the goal that sent Ipswich back into the Premier League. What was that moment like? (Rory, Pembroke)

Ah, probably my proudest moment. It's always a great feeling to score, but as a defender, to score the winning goal in the play-off final at Wembley was... Indescribable. Being in that environment with however many thousand fans cheering because you have given them what they wanted is just amazing. And as you say, because of my injuries, I was rarely able to experience something quite like that again. But you know, makes it all the more special doesn't it?

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 PM ----------

Croatia 2 v 1 England

Teams

Croatia

Stipe Pletikosa
Darijo Srna
Marko Babic
Vedran Corluka
Josip Simunic
Jerko Leko
Luka Modric
Ognjen Vukojevic
Ivan Rakitic
Mladen Petric
Ivica Olic

England

Scott Carson
Luke Young
Ashley Cole
John Terry
Ledley King (Phil Jagielka)
Steven Gerrard
Ashley Young
Nigel Reo-Coker (Michael Carrick
Frank Lampard
Theo Walcott
Michael Owen

Goals

John Terry 8 - Theo Walcott corner lands on Terry's head to put England in front
Josip Simunic 37 - Modric corner and Simunic beats Terry to the ball to equalise
Luka Modric (pen) 41 - A trip from Ledley King gives Modric the chance to score form the spot, and he puts it neatly in the bottom corner.

Man of the Match: Stipe Pletikosa

Disappointing defeat considering we had the lead, and the game in our hands before they equalised, and after they equalised. A few of our big name players didn't turn up today (Ledley King, Frank Lampard, Michael Owen) which increases the need to base my selection policy upon player performances. A couple who did impress were Theo Walcott, who made amends for Owen's bad performance with his running and flair, Ashley Young, who capped off a good couple of performances for England, and John Terry, who despite being at fault for the Croat's first goal, was solid at the back to keep Croatia from scoring more. This game can simply count as a learning experience, as a tall striker will be needed in future squads to give us more attacking options.

Last edited:
not too sure what your doing with your team to be honest dude. reo-coker, carson, owen? whats this all about?

not too sure what your doing with your team to be honest dude. reo-coker, carson, owen? whats this all about?

How many times, man, how many times? It's all about how they are doing for their clubs with me, it's not about reputation. Reo-Coker did well against Croatia, but because I was using him as a hard-tackling defensive midfielder, once he got a yellow card, I took him off. Granted, Owen wasn't inspiring at all, but he's playing well for Newcastle, with 5 goals in first 4 games, so who can blame me for choosing him. Carson did alright, but the England gk thing is anyone's guess.

I know what your saying, but when you lose to Croatia surely that must send signals that's its time to scrap your idea, and actually pick players on ability? however it's your story, but I know I wouldn't be happy with that loss!

I know what your saying, but when you lose to Croatia surely that must send signals that's its time to scrap your idea, and actually pick players on ability? however it's your story, but I know I wouldn't be happy with that loss!

I'm not either believe me. But you can't honestly say that Owen, Carson and Reo-Coker are **** players, Owen is England all-time top goalscorer! And out of Carson, Robinson, James, Kirkland, I can't recognise anyone who stands out that much.

Yes, owen is however that is in real life. You know as well as I do, Owen is not as good as Rooney in the game. Even Darren Bent is better!