schaap9495

Reaction score
RENNAIS 4-4-2

Please note that this is my first ever tactical upload, so... bare with me.
So, what's this guy who's never uploaded a tactic doing on here? Well, I think I've finally made a breakthrough with the FM18 engine.

Like many on here, none of the tactics uploaded on this site are working for me, so I took matters into my own hands and tried to recreate a Man Utd-inspired tactic from many FM's ago. My Rennais team wasn't doing so well until I started messing around with the tactics, and settled on what you're about to see. Suddenly, I was actually winning games, and not by boring 1-0's, but by 4-5 goals.

The only problem with this tactic is it's defense, which can definitely be exploited on the counter, but in terms of goals--there shouldn't be any problem ;)

So, here's what I came up with:

View attachment 80087

In case the image isn't viewable, the tactic is a simple 4-4-2 formation with STANDARD mentality and FLEXIBLE team shape. I recommend changing the mentality to COUNTER when facing opponents with narrow formations (442 Diamond for example)

Player Roles:

AF(AT)--DLF(S)
WP(S)--BBM(S)--CM(D)--W(At)
FB(At)--CD(C)--CD(ST)--FB(S)
--GK(D)--

Instructions changes:

AF(LESS CLOSING DOWN, ROAM FROM POSITION, SHOOT LESS OFTEN)
DLF(LESS CLOSING DOWN, ROAM FROM POSITION, RUN WIDE WITH BALL, SHOOT LESS OFTEN)
WP(LESS CLOSING DOWN, MARK TIGHTER, TACKLE HARDER, SHORTER PASSES)
BBM(NO CHANGES)
CM(NO CHANGES)
W(SHOOT LESS OFTEN, CLOSE DOWN LESS, TACKLE HARDER, CROSS AIM CENTER)
FBL(SHOOT LESS OFTEN, TACKLE HARDER, MARK TIGHTER, CROSS FROM BYLINE, CROSS AIM CENTER, STAY WIDER, RUN WIDE WITH BALL, CLOSE DOWN MUCH MORE)
FBR(SHOOT LESS OFTEN, TACKLE HARDER, STAY WIDER, RUN WIDE WITH BALL, CLOSE DOWN MUCH MORE)
CDL(TACKLE HARDER, HOLD POSITION, FEWER RISKY PASSES)
CDR(TACKLE HARDER, HOLD POSITION, SHORTER PASSES)
GK(DISTRIBUTE TO FULL BACKS, ROLL IT OUT)

EXTRA INFO:

I don't use any OI's, and my training is exclusively TACTICAL General Training and TEAMWORK Match Preparation

View attachment 80086

Just give it a try! Hopefully it'll be as successful for you as it's been for me lately.

DOWNLOAD LINK:
4-4-2 Rennais

Last edited:

would love to download it but no link

How can you say

Well, I think I've finally made a breakthrough with the FM18 engine.

When the game was just released 2 or 3 days ago? Please test it with a variety of times with low and mid table teams before saying such things, but nice effort overall