Jamie92

Reaction score
Not quite sure where this goes but...

I'm gonna start a game and try and get Republic of Ireland to EURO 2012. Any tips, players or tactics for me? I'll post in this thread with my results and news etc.

:D

Is the 2011 Nations Cup with Scotland and Northern Ireland in this game?

Is the 2011 Nations Cup with Scotland and Northern Ireland in this game?
yes

it shouldnt be to hard, ireland rule

Play 442 with advanced wingers that swap positions, hard to give advise for international teams :S

The fixtures arnt included on the 2011 list...Anyway, first squad picked for Argentina at home:

GK's: Kieran Westwood, Joe Murphy, David Forde

DF's: Kevin Foley, Seamus Coleman, Stephen Ward, Greg Cunningham, John O'Shea, Richard Dunne, Ciaran Clark, Sean St.Ledger

MD's: Liam Lawrence, Aidan McGeady, Kevin Kilbane, Keith Fahey, Keith Andrews, Darron Gibson, Glenn Whelan, Wes Hoolahan

ST's: Robbie Keane (captain), Kevin Doyle, Jonathan Walters, Anthony Stokes

Any ideas what formation I should play?

The fixtures arnt included on the 2011 list...Anyway, first squad picked for Argentina at home:

GK's: Kieran Westwood, Joe Murphy, David Forde

DF's: Kevin Foley, Seamus Coleman, Stephen Ward, Greg Cunningham, John O'Shea, Richard Dunne, Ciaran Clark, Sean St.Ledger

MD's: Liam Lawrence, Aidan McGeady, Kevin Kilbane, Keith Fahey, Keith Andrews, Darron Gibson, Glenn Whelan, Wes Hoolahan

ST's: Robbie Keane (captain), Kevin Doyle, Jonathan Walters, Anthony Stokes

Any ideas what formation I should play?

No Shay Given,Damien Duff, Shane Long,Stephen Hunt?

Very unlucky , four of your best players injured for your first game

Yes it hit me hard...but the results are in, and it was a admirable performace as we drew 1-1 with Argentina, who had Messi, Milito, Mascherano etc. heres the stats:

GK - Westwood (goalkeeper/defend)
DR - Foley (fullback/support)
DCR - O'Shea (limited defender/stopper)
DCL - Dunne (ball-playing defender/defend)
DL - Cunningham (fullback/support)
MR - Lawrence (winger/attack)
MCR - Gibson (ballwinning midfield/support)
MCL - Hoolahan (advanced playmaker/support)
ML - McGeady (winger/attack)
STCR - Walters (deeplying forward/support)
STCL - Keane (advanced forward/attack)

After 20 minutes Walters got injured so I brought Doyle on and swapped him for Keane and played them both as advanced forwards/attack. Doyle scored on 42 mins. Argentina countered well in the 47th minute when Dunne was faced against Messi and Milito...Messi simply centred for Milito who easily beat the poor Westwood. Second half was pretty poor but Dunne got MOM so he did recover from the goal. All in all i'm quite happy with my first game. Next up, Armenia and Andorra...6 points no doubt!

I'm not really the story writing type...but I do like how I'm doing this posting business. Squad picked for Armenia and Andorra and I have changed things around by bringing some youth into the side:

GK's: Shay Given, Kieran Westwood, James Shea

DF's: Cliff Byrne, Ciaran Clark, Seamus Coleman, Greg Cunningham, Richard Dunne, Shane O'Connor, John O'Shea, Marc Wilson

MD's: Damien Duff, Darron Gibson, Paul Green, Wes Hoolahan, James McCarthy, Donal McDermott, Aidan McGeady, Anthony Pilkington

ST's: Robbie Keane, Kevin Doyle, Shane Long, Anthony Stokes

---------- Post added at 12:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 AM ----------

Fantastic win as my first competetive match with Republic of Ireland. 7-1 away to Armenia, although I'm not getting too excited as it was ONLY Armenia. Stats:

GK - Given (goalkeeper/defend)
DR - Coleman (fullback/support
DCR - Wilson (limited defender/stopper)
DCL - Dunne (ballplaying defender/defend)
DL - Cunningham (fullback/support)
MR - Pilkington (winger/attack)
MCR - Gibson (ballwinning midfield/support)
MCL Hoolahan (advanced playmaker/support)
ML - Aidan McGeady (winger/attack)
STCR - Keane (advanced forward/attack)
STCL - Doyle (advanced forward/attack)

It all started in the 6th minute with a simple through ball from Hoolahan to Keane just inside the box. 1-0. Then in the 17th minute Anthony Pilkinton whipped in his first marvellous ball of the night from a corner kick, Dunne got his head to the ball, it hit the bar, the keeper and then went in (own goal). 38 minutes gone and i was slaughtered by probably the 3 most well-known Armenians; Manucharyan, Henrik Mkhataryan (SP) and Karamyan, the latter scoring. So I was still 2-1 up. 42nd minute, another corner, again taken by Pilkington...crosses straight to Dunne and its 3-1, should be his second. 7 minutes into the second half and Robbie Keane gets his second by running through 2 defenders and slotting into bottom corner. 4-1. Then the best goal. Goal kick and Given gets it to Cunningham, who passes it straight to McGeady, who runs at the right midfielder, beats him, at the right back, beats him, then cuts inside, beating the centre back and then lashing a shot straight into the top left corner. Confidence is high. Guess whats next. Another corner, unfortunately for Pilkington he was brought off so it was up to Damien Duff and did he deliver. Swinging into the 6-yard box and who is there? Dunne for his second (should be his hat-trick!!). Finally Shane Long rounds the game off by chipping the keeper in space after Gibson's long-range shot was punched straight to him. Great stuff. Cant wait for Andorra at home!

---------- Post added at 01:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

Andorra at home. I don't know if this is possible but this was a very poor 4-0 win for me. Kind of reminded me of the 0-0 draw against Andorra at Wembley when England played them. I took a risk, especially in midfield. Stats:

GK - Westwood (goalkeeper/defend)
DR - Coleman (fullback/support)
DCR - Clark (limited defender/stopper)
DCL - Dunne (ballplaying defender/defend)
DL - O'Connor (fullback/support)
MR - Pilkington (winger/attack)
MCR - Wilson (ballwinning midfield/support)
MCL - McCarthy (advanced playmaker/support)
ML - McDermott (winger/attack)
STCR - Stokes (advanced forward/attack)
STCL - Doyle (advanced forward/attack)

Good start to this first competetive home game and it was the corner king Pilkington again, crossing in this time for Ciaran Clark on 3 minutes, brilliant start to his debut. The next 30 minutes felt like a full game at 0-0 with no shots, the midfield couldnt keep hold of the ball or push it up to the wingers and frontmen. Something had to change, so I brought on John O'Shea for Shane O'Connor, neither playing in midfield though. 2 minutes later and James McCarthy fed Stokes who turned and struck with venom, straight in. 2-0. 5 minutes after that, Pilkington crossed again from a corner, an Andorran defender had the ball at his feet, but Clark snatched it, shot, and the ball deflected in off the same defender. So half time team talk wasnt as bad as I thought. But I still brought McGeady on for McDermott who hadnt seen anything of the ball in the first half. Second half and the game went back to its dull drag of passing back to the defence, then forward and back to defence. Until I brought on Shane Long for Kevin Doyle, who may I add could have had 5 goals but put every shot straight into the keepers hands, the Andorran keepers hands. Long took just 6 minutes to liven the game up and scored a goal almost twinned to that scored of Anthony Stokes, a snap turn and again straight in, keeper knew nothing about it. A couple of bookings for Stokes and Coleman in the last frustrating ten minutes but the game was won at 1-0. Next two games are a test, Russia at home and Slovakia away. Eeeek!

Currently doing the same myself,just after winning 4 associations trophy and in 2nd place behind Russia in my Euro qualifying group