Resources for understanding Real World Tactics

Zebedee

Reaction score
Just going to put down some good resources for understanding football tactics. As FM moves towards 'simulation', understanding what works and when becomes an increasing advantage. ;) Please add your recommendations if you've got some.

Websites:

Zonal Marking - nice little website which tries to analyse tactics, formations, teams, players as well as having some nice chalkboards done using the Guardian website. Bit mixed in quality of analysis, but still a good attempt to try and take discussion beyond what you'll see on Sky.

Jonathan Wilson's blog at the Guardian. Most of what he writes seems to be taken directly from his book Inverting the Pyramid, but it's one of the best blogs in English about football tactics.

Lee Dixon's Tactical View. Ghostwritten for the BBC website, it's a bit hit and miss at times, but there's some good points made in the irregular 'blog'. Nice moving graphics to help explain what's being said too.

UEFA have several videos on their website aimed at explaining various tactics and theories. Roy Hodgson, Graham Taylor and Lars Lagerbaek are the coaches who do the analysis. Well worth a look.

Books:

Inverting the Pyramid: A History of Football Tactics by Jonathan Wilson. It does what it says in the title - takes you through the history of football tactics from the days when passing was considered 'unmanly' up to the strikerless formation introduced by Quelroz. Not particularly in-depth but a very useful general read as an antidote to the junk analysis of great football minds such as, erm, Andy Gray and Paul Merson.

Teambuilding: the road to success by Rinus Michels. This is a real world coaching bible. Rinus Michels introduced the world to 'Total Football' with his Ajax and Holland teams and this is his guide on how to get another team to do it. FM actually seems to have implemented his view of how football works so it's useful to have a glimpse at what he thinks works well. It's not light reading though and unless you're planning to coach the under-8s team there's a fair bit which isn't relevant to FM.

Last edited:
just on zonal marking, really interesting reading, great thread.
i reason i love fm10, is that with tactics creator i can finally think out my tactic in football term and not have to worry so much about the arbitrary nature of the slider system (i'll never really get my head around that)

i reason i love fm10, is that with tactics creator i can finally think out my tactic in football term and not have to worry so much about the arbitrary nature of the slider system (i'll never really get my head around that)

Agree with that - the tactics creator really does help with focusing on what you want to see rather than trying to figure out which slider to move to make it happen.

I'll up date the OP as more inspiration takes me and as others add ideas of good places to look for ideas and resources on tactics.

Really great thread, I'm quite interested in the tactical side of the game but still cannot get my head around it, should help me out with FM and make watching football more interesting. Thanks alot :D

Zebedee. thanks for these links. They have been a great help. I do occasionally read Lee Dixon's Tactical view. I agree with the hit and miss part, you never know what you are going to get. XD However, some nice animations. Zonal Marking also looks good, so when I have a spare ten minutes. I'll check it out.

I love the tactics creator personally. You have more freedom and it can be simpler to use but it gives you more options and a better, more in depth view of how your team are actually going to play. This is a help to me as I struggled with tactics in the past.

Thanks again Zebedee. :)

Top stuff Zeb, this will help a lot :)

More great input from my favourite FM Base member, thanks Zeb this should prove useful for everyone.

Someone pointed me to UEFA's website the other day for a video on 4-4-2 by Graham Taylor. I ended up watching all the videos on there - it's quality stuff.