Restoring the Glory - A Hibernian F.C. Story

Dave1875

Reaction score
Right, so here's my third attempt at a story with Hibs. My first one was abandoned due to my computer getting a virus and needing to be wiped. Sadly my second, and much more successful story was also abandoned when the file became corrupt.

Hopefully this attempt will be much more successful. It will be up-to-date so players like Vine, Collins, Tudur Jones & Nelson will be here. It will be the Scottish Premiership instead of the SPL. I will be using LFCMarshall's latest update of his Summer Transfer Updates database. I've edited it since downloading it, last thing I changed was Downing and Chamakh to their respective new clubs.

Anyway here we go. Still haven't decided if I'll use the same set-up as I did last time or try something new. Thinking of doing news reports for major happenings in the story (Manager changes, takeovers etc.) but not entirely sure

I know the dates are a year ahead but just bear with it.

June 16th 2012

BREAKING NEWS

banner-skysports_1.png

Pat Fenlon Resigns As Manager Of Hibernian

21051084.JPG

In the wake of Hibernian's 3 - 0 defeat in the Scottish Cup final by rivals Celtic, Sky Sports can confirm that Pat Fenlon has resigned from his post at Easter Road. The Irishman, who took over the club from Colin Calderwood, immediately found himself in a difficult position. Hibs were 11th in the table and threatened with relegation. Fenlon managed to keep Hibs up but the season ended in the worst possible way after Hibs were thrashed 5-1 by Edinburgh rivals Hearts.

Hibernian chairman Rod Petrie has released this statement: We can confirm that Pat has resigned from his role as manager. We would like to thank Pat for his time in charge; he saved the club from relegation, lead the club to consecutive Scottish Cup finals which sadly didn't go our way, and brought the fans a new cult hero in Leigh Griffiths. We would like to wish Pat all the very best in his future endevours and once again thank him for his time in charge."

Pat Fenlon also released a statement saying: I would like to apologise to the fans of Hibernian. Twice I have lead us to the Scottish Cup final and twice I have embarrassed us. I no longer feel I am the right man for the job, I would like to thank the Hibernian board and fans for backing me through-out my tenure. I would like to wish the club and my successor the best and hope that they can return to the form that had them fighting for Europe instead of avoiding relegation."

Kenny Shiels is the bookies current favourite to be named the next Hibernian manager. Inverness CT manager Terry Butcher and Jimmy Calderwood are also linked with the job. However there are rumours that Hibs are looking closer to home for their next manager.

Last edited:
June 26th 2012

banner-skysports_1.png

Hibernian Complete Eight Signings Since Manager's Departure

JS21792049-2056490.jpg

Despite being managerless Hibernian continue to bolster their squad from last season. After the departures of multiple players including Griffiths, Wotherspoon, Doyle, Kuqi & Deegan, Hibernian have gone on a mass recruiting drive. So far since the departure of Manager Pat Fenlon they have signed the following players.

Liam Craig from St. Johnstone on a free transfer

Owain Tudur Jones from Inverness CT on a free transfer

Ryan Mcgivern signs full-time from Man City after a season on loan at Hibs

Fraser Mullen joins after being laid off by city rivals Hearts

Rowan Vine signs on a free transfer after his contract at St. Johnstone expired

James Collins signs from Swindon Town for £200K

and finally, Michael Nelson signs from newly promoted Bradford City for a nominal fee

Kevin Thomson has also signed a one-year deal after playing for Hibs last season for no wage

The Hibernian board have confirmed that all future signings will be made by the next Hibernian manager, however the refused to comment any further on the matter of the next manager.

July 1st 2012

BREAKING NEWS

Sky-sports-news-banner.jpg

HIBERNIAN NAME INNES AS NEW MANAGER

Unknown Manager Named As New Hibernian Boss

silhouette-300x300.jpg

Hibernian have announced that 38-year old unknown manager David Innes has become their new manager. The Scotsman has signed a one-year rolling contract at the Edinburgh club.

Innes certainly has a task of rebuilding on his hands after the resignation of Pat Fenlon. Despite the board making new signings Rod Petrie has admitted that the squad is still weak and need some positions filled up.

Reactions from Hibs fans is split down the middle. Some say that an experienced manager is what was needed to bring the club forward, whilst others say that Innes, who is a Hibs fan, is exactly what the club needs; someone who has passion for the club and knows what the fans want and how they think.

Innes answered questions at an press conference at Easter Road.

Press: David, you sit here the new manager of Hibernian, as a Hibs fan how much does this mean to you?

David: Any Hibs fan who, like me, wants to see this club return to where they belong knows that this position means a lot

Press: What exactly do you mean by "where the club belongs"?

David: I believe that a club of this side should be regularly competing for Europe, maybe even mounting a title challenge & of course appearing in cup finals

Press: Like most Hibs fans do you dream of ending Hibs Scottish Cup hoodoo?

David: Of course, it's every Hibs fans dream to one day see the club finally win the Scottish Cup, now I have the chance to do just that and I intend to make that one of my priorities

Press: The chairman Rod Petrie has commented that despite the signings the squad is still slightly weakened, do you intend on bringing certain players in or strengthening any positions?

David: The one position I want to sort out is the right side of midfield, yes players like Harris can play that position, but I want to bring in someone who is a natural in that position. Other than that if the right player comes up or a player we think would benefit the squad, we may make a move

Press: You mentioned Alex Harris, a player who has burst into the first-team from the youth side, do you intend to bring more youth players into the squad?

David: Absolutely, we have one of the best Youth set-ups in the country. So players like Sam Stanton, Andrew Black, Danny Handling & Jordan Forster will get their chances, along with any other youth player that impresses me and the staff.

Press: Finally David, should the fans trust you? The last few managers at Hibs haven't been able to succeed and have faced the wrath of the fans. Do you think you can avoid this?

David: I intend to win the fans trust by getting results on the park. If I fail to do that then I have failed not only the fans but the club itself. As a Hibs fan I have full intentions not to fail the club I love. I'm not demanding the fans support me, they can draw their own opinions from the results we get over the coming season. But as mentioned before, it is my full intention to bring this club back to where it belongs; to bring glory to Hibernian.

MY TARGETS

Scottish Premiership: Qualify for Europe

Scottish Cup: Reach the final

League Cup: Reach the final

Misc: Secure a parent and feeder club & give chances to youth players

View attachment 378024

2012-13 PRE-SEASON

HibsTrainingCentreI.jpg

Planning Laid Down

PRE-SEASON FIXTURES

Hibernian 9 - 0 Hibernian Reserves

Caldwell (5), Thomson, Collins, McGivern & Handling

A score that most Aberdeen fans are familiar with, feel sorry for the reserves though. Pleasing to see Caldwell grab five goals, have a feeling he'll be a good striker in the future.

Auchinleck 1 - 2 Hibernian

Collins (2)

Although it was a friendly I wasn't satisfied, the comparison between the two sides means we should have battered wee Auchinleck... instead we have to come from behind to win.

Hibernian 2 - 1 AZ Alkmaar

Robertson, Collins

Pleasing result against former Eredivise champions. Feel we may have a strong side if I can sort out the right midfield.

Hibernian 1 - 2 VfB

McPake

Despite being beaten by superior German opposition we can take positives from this. Lost to scrappy goals, passed the ball around well, caused Stuttgart problems and were unlucky to lose

Hibernian 0 - 0 Feyenoord

A goaless draw again strong Dutch opposition. Can still be pleased given Feyenoord's reputation

Pre-Season Friendlies Overview

An ideal pre-season for us. Against stronger oppoisition we won, we lost and we drew. Yes we only beat a much weaker side 2 - 1 but we can take positives from it. Players are playing well, passing the ball and creating plenty of chances.

TACTICS

Here are the three Tactics I'm going to be using

4-4-2

View attachment 378015

4-5-1

View attachment 378016

3-5-2

View attachment 378017

CLUB LINK

View attachment 378023

On the same day as the AZ Alkmaar win, I'd requested a Parent Club the day after joining Hibs, we got the choice between Liverpool, Tottenham and Swansea. I decided to go with Swansea as Gulacsi has left Liverpool and both they and Tottenham usually send me rubbish players or no players at all. Linked up with Swansea and they sent me 20-year old Irish striker Rory Donnelly, what made me happy with the loan was his stats (below) and the fact he can also play AMR.

View attachment 378021

TRANSFERS

IN

View attachment 378019

I already mentioned Rory Donnelly joining on loan. We also managed to get Jesse Lingard on loan to be our right midfielder, not his natural position but he's quick, agile, has good ball skills & is a good passer so I think with some training he can make the position his own

OUT

Lewis Stevenson leaves to join Motherwell for £95K, other clubs did offer for him but they did the whole certain amount of payments over a set time shi-bang. Motherwell were the only ones to outright offer his price tag

Robert Wilson has been loaned out to Premiership side Partick Thistle, yes they said he'd act as cover but no one else offered to take him on loan

TOP 5 TRANSFERS

Luis Suarez: Liverpool to Barcelona for £38M
Marouane Fellaini: Everton to Paris Saint-Germain for £22M
Leighton Baines: Everton to Tottenham Hotspur for £21.5M
Yohan Cabaye: Newcastle United to Manchester United for £20.5M
Hector Moreno: R.C.D. Espanyol to Tottenham Hotspur for £15.75M

YOUTH

Decided to promote the following youth players to the first-team

Jamie Beaton

View attachment 378018

Andrew Black

View attachment 378013

Jordon Forster

View attachment 378020

Danny Handling

View attachment 378014

Alex Harris

View attachment 378012

Sam Stanton

View attachment 378022

AUGUST

0,,10290~11993786,00.jpg

Undefeated first month as manager
Through to Europa League Group Stage
Three more sigings made, only two join the club

FIXTURES

Hibernian 1 - 0 Inverness CT

Collins

Normally people aren't happy with a 1 - 0 win, but we'll take it. Lovely header from James Collins from a Fraser Mullen (spelled Mullin in the game for some reason) corner gave us the only goal of the game

Aberdeen 0 - 2 Hibernian

Donnelly & Naylor (O.G.)

Good win against the "famous" Aberdeen. Donnelly completely wrong footed Considine before slipping it past Clangers whilst Naylor scored a beautiful header... past his own keeper... lovely goal, wrong goal.

Hibernian 0 - 0 Motherwell

Not sure why but we were put into Europe in the play-off round instead of the second round qualifiers. Decided to rest the first choice XI and played reserve and youth. Impressed with the result against a strong Motherwell side who have Hibs fans' favourite Merouane Zemmama in their ranks.

Europa League Play-Off Round 1st Leg

Metalist 1 - 2 Hibernian

Collins (2)

An enjoyable victory against Metalist (weren't they disqualified and banned in real life?) away from home, gives us the away goal advantage and we just have to shut up shop at the Leith San Siro

Ross County 0 - 5 Hibernian

Handling (3), Collins & Craig

...Well, people got their tickets for the Danny Handling show and they certainly were not disappointed as we rampaged The Staggies

Europa League Play-Off Round 2nd Leg

Hibernian 2 - 2 Metalist (Hibernian win 4-3 on AGG)

Lingard (2)

Happy with the result and to make it through to the group stage, mainly cause it puts a good bit of money in the club (even though we're the second richest team in the Premiership. Celtic are worth £81million, we're worth £30million and after us Hearts are worth £10million after a takeover which means they're no longer in admin.....****)

LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 378464

Sitting second behind St. Mirren after the first month of the season, undefeated and scoring more goals than conceding, pleasing.

TRANSFERS

IN

Three new signings made with only two joining at this time

Aaron Muirhead from Partick Thistle for £150K

View attachment 378461

Strong, tall centre-back who I signed after Forster moved to Hartlepool on loan, whilst I feel Donaldson and Baptie aren't quite ready for the first-team

Gary Woods on a free transfer

View attachment 378462

Former Man United & Doncaster Rover keeper Gary Woods joins on a free transfer. Young keeper with good looking stats that can only improve in time (Since most goalies reach their peak at around about 30)

Lewis Milne from Cowdenbeath fro £100K

View attachment 378463

Another young player with bags of potential and good stats for his age, however he will join the club next summer as I felt it would be better for him to continue to develope at Cowdenbeath

OUT

Dean Horribine joins Cowdenbeath on loan

Martin Scott moves to Colchester United for £60K

Jordon Forster moves to Hartlepool United on loan

TOP 5 TRANSFERS

Nicolas Gaitan: SL Benfica to Manchester United for £29.5M
David Alaba: Bayern Munich to Manchester City for £26.5M
Jefferson Farfan: FC Shalke 04 to Manchester United for £26.5M
Andriy Yarmolenko: Dynamo Kiev to Liverpool for £19M
Marko Arnautovic: Werder Bremen to Liverpool for £12.75M

CLUB LINK

Asked the board for a feeder club and they give me four Sky Bet League Two sides to choose from... was hoping for a team below the Premiership in Scotland but meh. Got to choose from: Bristol Rovers, Torquey United, Rochdale & Plymouth. After consulting with a few friends over Skype I decided to pick...

Bristol Rovers

View attachment 378465

Question for you all: Should I do a player of the month like my last story or not bother with it?

Not going to do another update till I get a few answers to the player of the month question

Just do player of the month when one of your own players gets it. Sounds good though, I started one randomly last night with a German div 2 side called energie cottbus.