Resurecting the Target man : Predicting Wenger's arsenal 2014-2015

Reaction score
Hi.

The idea is to have a decent, organized defence while fast transitioning forward, runs down the flank and overloading in midfield in order to get the best out of Giroud. It is still beta testing, i will add everything required tomorrow (ppm, training, etc). Atm just curious if it works with another team, for Arsenal these are my results so far.
View attachment 359225

View attachment 359220

View attachment 359202
View attachment 359186
Hehe.

In terms of football, the playstyle should be beautiful.

Switching to counter could help sometimes. I usually leave it unchanged though.

OI = Assistant. Training = whatever you wish to improve positional roles.

View attachment 339116

In case you play vs very good team you can either go Contain or leave it to Attacking/Control and "drop deep"

Test and post. Feel free to criticize or praise/comment.

Updated 1/09/2014

Last edited:
Hey man i can move the DM to CAM and the tactic work?

sorry for my english

Hey man i can move the DM to CAM and the tactic work?

sorry for my english

Depends on the opposition you face. by moving the dm to cam you leave space in front of defence (that is positioned deep to avoid putting mertesucker run with a pacey striker)

This is the more secure way, yes you could move it but then you`d have to change the mid completely.

Depends on the opposition you face. by moving the dm to cam you leave space in front of defence (that is positioned deep to avoid putting mertesucker run with a pacey striker)

This is the more secure way, yes you could move it but then you`d have to change the mid completely.
Ok i will stay with the original tactic

What training i should put

In my Exterminators tactic, I am also using a target man. But I play to him (exploit middle) so that he can open up space for his teammates, which is what he is meant to do. For a counter attack tactic, you prolly don't want a role that holds up ball, especially as you are using winger and exploit the flanks, which make them far away from him. He is meant to bring others into play. Your tactic looks good, but striker role shouldn't be target man. Adv forward would be much better.

In my Exterminators tactic, I am also using a target man. But I play to him (exploit middle) so that he can open up space for his teammates, which is what he is meant to do. For a counter attack tactic, you prolly don't want a role that holds up ball, especially as you are using winger and exploit the flanks, which make them far away from him. He is meant to bring others into play. Your tactic looks good, but striker role shouldn't be target man. Adv forward would be much better.

Problem is i don`t want him to bring players in up front, i want him to dominate the box aerial mode. For that i`ve put the left winger into support mode (he will cross to target man when in possesion, running to line) and full back attack (when out of possesion winger moves mid to create space for the rushing full back that will cross).

Right side its easier, full back supports mid while alexis goes directly at defender, then cross.

View attachment 359063

For this match i`ve dropped a cm to bring in a second agressor (bender-bvb 18.75 mil). You see that the target man brings midfielders in play, because of the deep formation and early crosses. Then moves up forward. I`ll train him to beat offside trap to be on the shoulder of last defender :D And for this the "hold up ball" which comes in quite handy.

I`m quite satisfied with 11 goals in 13 matches. Will see how it goes throughout the season.

Last edited:
I'm in my second season now so I'll need a new tactic and I have Mario Mandzukic as my striker so I'll give this a test and let you know how I get on amigo!

Problem is i don`t want him to bring players in, i want him to dominate the box aerial mode. For that i`ve put the left winger into support mode (he will cross to target man when in possesion, running to line) and full back attack (when out of possesion winger moves mid to create space for the rushing full back that will cross).

Right side its easier, full back supports mid while alexis goes directly at defender, then cross.

View attachment 637601

For this match i`ve dropped a cm to bring in a second agressor (bender-bvb 18.75 mil). You see that the target man brings midfielders in play, because of the deep formation and early crosses. Then moves up forward. I`ll train him to beat offside trap to be on the shoulder of last defender :D

I`m quite satisfied with 11 goals in 13 matches. Will see how it goes throughout the season.

I think it will be very difficult for him alone to have an influence in the box by himself, surrounded by 4 or more defenders. If you are inclined to keep him, you should use at least one box to box player to get on the end of those wingers crosses and help your target man. But even then it wont work well. But, if you're satisfied, then it's ok, I have nothing more to add.

I think it will be very difficult for him alone to have an influence in the box by himself, surrounded by 4 or more defenders. If you are inclined to keep him, you should use at least one box to box player to get on the end of those wingers crosses and help your target man. But even then it wont work well. But, if you're satisfied, then it's ok, I have nothing more to add.

There aren`t 4 defenders actually, just 2. Of which one should come to my onrushing mid runners. If the adversary plays a 4-2-3-1 without a holding midfielder, or even a classic 4-4-2, i anticipate a win by at least 3 goal margin.

I've just been promoted with RC Lens in my first season to Ligue 1 using my own tactics, but results were inconsistent at times, so I'm going to look at trying to build my team around this as Baptiste Guillaume looks like he'll be a great target man at this level, and he's only 18!

If I stick with it the full season I'll let you know how I get on.

Yeah, every of your tactics are great... in first matches.

Yeah, every of your tactics are great... in first matches.

I am sorry if you haven't had success with my tactics. I keep on learning and making better, so please revisit my tactic threads from time to time and redownload. I improve all of them occasionally.

Looking forward to trying your new tactic; your original Barcelona worked wonders for my Arsenal team, glad to see a tactic that is actually meant for Arsenal

Not trying this tactic yet but your tactic for barca doing great for me..
I dont know how the gameplay of this tactic but hopefully it really a wengerball, which can be seen on youtube "wengerball 13-14" (H)

Updated the original tactic.

Wingers should score shitloads along with the target man.

Try it out, lads.

Cheers.

Pro tip : i`ve found it very useful to have a very determined team (high determination). In order to achieve that, buy a couple of old farts (usually go 100-200k or even free) assign them backup/rotation roles and tutor the youngsters (very unlikely to not have enough reputation for first team trainings). In few years` time you will have a team of 20 determination players.

Works wonders for central defs and target men (think Cerri)

Last edited: