Aannddyy

Super Duper Moderator
Reaction score
Now, I'm pretty rubbish when it comes to retraining players. However, I was wondering if anybody has ever retrained a player in a position that was previously 'ineffectual' [or whatever it is called]?

Here I have a LWB who has pretty good attributes to be a poacher, as highlighted.

View attachment 203778

Any help would be great! I know he's not the best regen ever.. It just confused me as to why a LWB would have better striker attributes than his natural position. Also, as he is a natural LWB, does this mean his defensive stats will increase faster than his attacking ones? Even if I was retraining him as a striker, working on his finishing etc.

On a side note, what's with all the ridiculously good players on the free transfer market? Every year I sign find about 20 players under 18 who have the ability to be amazing.. Like 50% of them are Turkish too. Weird. Anybody else noticed this?

You're right about the good players on free transfer market. Picked up loads of German ones mainly in the AMRC/ST position, and French WBL/DLC. Loads of them.

Same, I signed a Turkish Goalkeeper on my last save on a free, his value shot up to £12,000,000 after one season and he was only 20 XD.

better try someone else for poacher, it will take long time to retain him, and he has too weakl dribling and off the ball

Indeed his mental stats are a little weak for a poacher (look at Chicarito as a comparison) and they are the most difficult to train, but also the ones that develop best simply with aging. Keep training him on the technical and physical side to being a striker, and maybe try to tutor him with a striker who has good mental attributes.

Retraining to a new position does mean a players PA is lowered though.

Last edited:
I retrained a LWB to striker once. He had no skill at striker when he started.

turned out to be my greatest striker ever on FM.

i retrained hamsik as a striker in fm2011 and he was awesome there. definitely works in the right situation.

i think arsenal as the ai trained arda turan as a rb in the same save, was pretty strange...

Retraining to a new position does mean a players PA is lowered though.

Are you sure about this? AFAIK, the problem with retraining players while young is that their attributes increase faster during this stage, and allocating valuable training time to retraining him will hamper his development (Therefore he'll hit his peak later than he would have), but not decrease his PA outright. Then again I may be wrong, as I haven't retrained many players.

Are you sure about this? AFAIK, the problem with retraining players while young is that their attributes increase faster during this stage, and allocating valuable training time to retraining him will hamper his development (Therefore he'll hit his peak later than he would have), but not decrease his PA outright. Then again I may be wrong, as I haven't retrained many players.

AFAIK his PA will decrease, or maybe he will never reach his actual PA (due to a glass ceiling of sorts) because of retraining a new position during his peak growth years.

AFAIK his PA will decrease, or maybe he will never reach his actual PA (due to a glass ceiling of sorts) because of retraining a new position during his peak growth years.

I guess he'll find out soon enough :p

I'll try him as a ST for a year and see what happens.. If it goes well then I'll probably look to improve his composure & finishing. Hopefully his physical attributes will go up over the next few years and I could have a decent poacher on my hands. Or it could go horribly wrong and he turns out ****.. Oh well, he was free.