Return of the Mighty Magyars?

• Thread starter Alfieburns
  • Start date
  • Replies 36
  • Views 7K
A

Alfieburns

INTRO

I have recently discovered the culture of sharing your Football Manager stories with others, and spent a long time reading through a good number of these, enjoying them immensely. I have been inspired by others to attempt my own story.

Nomadic has been a great source of inspiration to me and provided me with some kind words of advice, and I have taken a leaf out of his book to try and turn a club from a small nation in to a European trophy winning team and attempting to improve the fortunes of the national side. I have therefore decided on taking on the role as the new manager of Puskas Akademia from Hungary. I first read about this team in Daniel Fieldsends book "The European Game" (a terrific read by the way) and after doing some research decided to attempt to manage this club to the top level of European competition. Hopefully I will be able to improve my coaching ability to eventually taking control of the national national team bringing back a return of the all conquering 'Mighty Magyars' from the 1950's.

2 things you should know about Puskas Akademia.

1. They have a terrific badge
View attachment 84063

2. Their stadium, Pancho Arena, is one of the most stunning stadiums I have ever seem. Primarily made out of word, it resembles more a religious temple than a footballing arena.

View attachment 84062

This will be a long term save, one that I foresee being quite a challenge as I know next to nothing about Hungarian football and money will be scarce. Pre-season update to follow shortly.

Looking forward to this as im doing a Budapest honved save

PRE-SEASON

View attachment 83872

Well, it's been some time since I managed a team at a level like this and I wonder what I have let myself in for:

- a wage budget of £13k p/w
- a transfer budget of £48
- no assistant manager
- no scouts

I get the feeling this is going to be a challenge. On the plus side the players I have are of a decent quality for this level and the bookmakers have me down for favourites for promotion - maybe this won't be so bad after all.

Current Squad

3 players that stand out of my current squad are:

View attachment 83871

Laszlo Lencse - an high quality striker, good finishing and composure. I will be relying on this guys goals to hopefully fire us up the table.

View attachment 83870

Laszlo Zsidai - an experienced, hard working, ball winning midfielder. This guy adds some steel to the midfield that I expect will be important at this level.

View attachment 83869

David Markvart
- I have my eye on this guy for the future, but could see him making an impact this season. Versatile across all of central midfield, I envisage playing him as a playmaker alongside the experienced Zsisdai.

In addition, we have a number of players out on loan. Puskas Akademia were relegated from the Hungarian Premier Division, and as such look like they needed to slash the wage bill hence the reason this guy was sent out on loan:
View attachment 83867

He would be an absolute star for me, but with no recall option and a £6k wage that would increase my overall wage bill by 50% it's a no-go.

Staff

As I mentioned, I started with no assistant manager at the club so this was my primary objective to start. As I want to build the level of Hungarian football as a whole I went in with the idea of having a core of Hungarian staff at the club. However after seeing the quality of staff available - they have to be unattached, as I do not have enough money to buy people out of their contracts - I have to scrap this idea. I decide to appoint this guy as my assistant:

View attachment 83866

Transfers

Defence was an issue so I set about trying to increase the quality at centre back. I managed to pick up Ferenc Fodor. He fits the bill - he's Hungarian, a free transfer, and slides straight in to the first team:

View attachment 83865

When I loaded the game, the recommended set up was to include the Ukrainian league as a neighbouring nation. This could my saving grace as there is a high level of high quality young players at both Dynamo Kiev and Shakhtar Donetsk. I pick a highly creative youngster on loan from Shakhtar who I stands out as one of the best players in the division:

View attachment 83864

In addition, I loan in an additional 3 other players who should help to flesh out the squad but will really only be there for back-up - ideal as I have managed to avoid contributing any wages to them.

Fixtures
View attachment 83863

It's a mixed bag in the pre-season friendlies. I arrange all the games at home in an attempt to increase my tiny bank balance. The games allow me to work on my formation and first choice line-up and the results improve as a result. I settle on a 4-2-3-1 formation for the upcoming season. I feel pretty confident that with a settled squad I will be challenging at the top of the league and the start of the season can't come soon enough.

Last edited:
JULY / AUGUST

And so on to the start of the season. The first game of the season is on the last day of July, with 4 more games during August. It is a pretty relaxed schedule for the season, with most games played each and every Saturday so fixture congestion should not be an issue.

View attachment 83809

We start with an away game to Cigand, the 1000-1 long shots for promotion - the sort of game you want to start your season. But we struggle - loanee RB Gabor Eberjesi gives away a penalty in the 1st half and we manage to conjure up an equaliser by Bence Mervo, a ST on loan from Sion. We are outplayed and were lucky to come away with a point.

View attachment 83808

Next up with face Cegled in our first home game at The Pancho. It's a good win, and one were we dominated. However, we did look sloppy in defence and had to rely on the quality of Lencse who scored a hat trick.

View attachment 83807

Away to Szolnok, and it's another 3-1 victory. The scoreline flatters us though as we go behind early. We left it late and had to rely on the quality of Arabidze who scored 1 and set up the other 2. We look good going forward, but soft at the back. I'm starting to get concerned at the lack of clean sheets.

View attachment 83806

Another 3-1 victory, this time against Dorog. Again we go behind, but equalise through Arabidze just before half time. CB Vanczak gets sent off after 2 bookings in the 2nd half and the game starts to look tough. Another moment of quality from Arabidze puts us ahead, before we score a 3rd late on whilst Dogor look for an equaliser. Another win, but we do not look convincing. As I thought Arabidze is a cut above in this division, and is bailing us out.

View attachment 83805

I was right to be concerned about the qaulity in defence. With Vanczak suspended, I have to bring in my 3rd choice centre back Hegedus for the home game against Balmazujvaros (I wish the Hungarian language was simpler!). We are 3-0 down in 30 mins. I make some changes at half time and despite Sandor scoring 2 and the team pushing on late for an equaliser we loose our 1st game of the season.

Something needs to be done with the defence, and just before the transfer window closes I raid Dynamo Kiev to sign Zurab Ochigava on loan. I'm hoping his quality will shore us up at the back; if not I may need to sacrifice an attacking midfield to play a deep lying midfielder.

View attachment 83804

We finish the month in 2nd place. Not a bad start - the top 2 are automatically promoted - but will be looking to improve going in September.

View attachment 83801

View attachment 83803

The draw for the 1st round of the Hungarian Cup is made, and I am drawn away to semi-pro outfit Penzugyor. It will give me a chance to try out some of my fringe players as one league game a week doesn't need me making many changes.

View attachment 83802

Looking forward to this as im doing a Budapest honved save

Thanks mate. Was toying with taking over Honved as I know they are the club of Puskas. I couldn't resist that badge though!

woah dude..Im in charge Puskas Akademia too.but im still play it with FM 2016 edition..can i share some story about my puskas save ? Im in 2018 save now. First season finished at 3rd, second season as a winner |). now in 3rd season. Just keep your eye at Laszlo Lencse and David Markvaat, they are gold in my save (H)

Good luck, it's a tough objective :D
I've set myself the same goal with Honved, and by the year 2026-27 still a long way from it. The national team is ranked 35th in the world, and my Honved side regularly makes it to the group stages of the UCL, but no knock-out stages so far. Also it doesn't help that I try to keep my team mostly hungarian, so there is a slight quality problem.

Honved, Debrecen and Ferencravos are pain in the *** on my puskas save ! Toughest enemy on the league !XD
I struggle against ferencvaros but debrecen are 8th on my save and are pretty poor I won 3-1 at there place and beat them 4-0 in cup at my ground

woah dude..Im in charge Puskas Akademia too.but im still play it with FM 2016 edition..can i share some story about my puskas save ? Im in 2018 save now. First season finished at 3rd, second season as a winner |). now in 3rd season. Just keep your eye at Laszlo Lencse and David Markvaat, they are gold in my save (H)

Sounds like you've been quite successful then. Hope I can emulate what you've achieved.

Lencse started well but has dropped off recently, not sure my formation is making the most of him. Markvaart is only playing occasionally at the moment but I do plan on upping his game time as we go ahead.

SEPTEMBER

The month starts off with 3 away games in a row in the league. First up, we travel to Vac (why can't all Hungarian teams be so easy to spell?). Given our penchant for conceding goals I bring Ochigava straight in for his debut, and try quite a cautious approach. It's a tight game and we don't create many chances but a fine strike by LW Peter Szakaly seals a win.

View attachment 82993

Next up, we're off to struggling Budaors. I keep the same starting eleven, and tinker a little bit to try and dominate more from the last game. It's the same result though, another Szakaly goal, another 1-0 victory and another clean sheet. We do create lot more chances and should have bagged a few more goals but I'm please with the win and consecutive clean sheet.

View attachment 82992

Our final away game this run see's us travel to Kisvarda. For the 3rd game in a row I keep the same line-up and give how many chances we created in the last game I keep the same tactics as well. It doesn't quite go so well. Kisvarda stifle us and we create very little. Ochigava, who has been a rock at the back the last 2 games, slices a clearance in to his own net to give Kisvarda the lead and as we push on for an equaliser they score a 2nd late on. I'm also concerned about the about of cards we are picking up. Just when I though we had turned a corner we put in a poor performance like that. This team needs more work.

View attachment 82991

Next up, we start our Hungarian Cup campaign - and we're away again. We face non-league Penzugyor, and I take this chance to give some of my fringe players a chance. The league campaign is so spaced out that some of my players haven't even played yet so I see this as an opportunity to see how the backup players can do, and I make 11 changes. It goes very well indeed. We win comfortably 3-0 and it could have been so many more. It was a super start and goals from Spandler and Heffler see us 2-0 up in under 20 mins, before my hot prospect Markvart wraps it up later on.

View attachment 82990

The next round of the draw see's us face another non-league team Tallya, and it'll be another game on the road.

View attachment 82989

Back to the league campaign, and we're able to finally grace the Pancho once again as we face Kozarmisleny at home. I'll admit, I made a mistake. Despite a strong performance in the cup I decide to revert back to the starting 11 who lost the last league game against Kisvarda. It backfires, and we lose 2-0. We are poor throughout and could have conceded more. At the moment, it seems I can't get the balance between being tight at the back and scoring goals.

View attachment 82988

The final game of the month is at home again, this time to Szeol. Pleasingly, we come away with a 2-0 victory. It's not a dominating performance, but it's good to see Lencse on the score-sheet for only second game this season following his hat-trick last month.

View attachment 82987

It's been a mixed month for the Akademia. 3 league wins without conceding, and 2 losses without scoring. We finish the month top of the table but that seems to be a result of no one team taking control of the league rather than through our own competence. It's very tight at the moment.

View attachment 82985

OCTOBER

Our first game of the month has us facing Szeged 2011 away from home. Before the match, Tibor Heffler comes to see me - he's unhappy he hasn't had a enough game time so far this season. He's right, the centre midfield has been pretty settled with Sandor and Zsidai playing most games. However, he is a good player and Sandor has struggled, so I tell him he will be more involved going forward.

It's a frantic start to the game. We give away a penalty after 7 minutes, but our GK Hegedus tips it around the post. A minute later we're ahead - Heffler scores a thumping free kick. He's going the right away about convincing me to start more. Within 3 minutes we have a 2nd, with Laszlo Pekar netting. Despite the crazy start, it stays 2-0 till the end.

View attachment 82969

Heffler demanded more starts, and I complied. He picks up MOTM. I like this guy.

View attachment 82968

Unfortunately Szakaly picked up a knock and will be out for 4-5 weeks, a real shame given his form recently.

View attachment 82967

Next up, we host Nyiregyhaza. It starts badly as my LB Gyula Forro commits a crazy challenge and gets sent off after just 3 mins. I'm not at all happy with him, but I'm not also not impressed by the referee's laissez-faire attitude to his kit.

View attachment 82966

Tuck your shirt in, man!

It's struggle for the rest of the game and despite Lencse setting up a frantic last 15 mins we are defeated 2-1.

View attachment 82965

It's more bad news at the end of the game. Arabidze has show he has been head and shoulders above all over players at the club but his season appears to be over. He has torn his achilles tendon which rules him out for the next 8 months. It's a massive shame and a blow to our chances of promotion. He has 9 months left on his loan deal, I'm not paying any wages so I decide to keep him around.

View attachment 82964

The 2nd round of the Hungarian Cup next, and I revert back to my cup starting line up. 11 changes are made as we face non-league Tallya away from home. It's a comfortable 4-1 win with all 4 goals coming in the first 30 mins before the team seem to take their foot off the gas.

View attachment 82963

The 3rd round draw finally gives us a home tie, this time against fellow League II team Buadors.

View attachment 82962

Unfortunately we suffer another injury, this time Lensce is the victim and is out for a month. He was just starting to find his shooting boots as well.

View attachment 82961

Back up striker Bence Mervo is also out and the injuries are mounting up.

View attachment 82960

You're not half wrong mate!

I've been scouring the unattached player list in an attempt to pick up a winger to replace Arabidze, and I snap up young Ukrainian (loading the Ukranian league has been a godsend!) Orest Kuzyk who can play on either flank. He's a pacy winger and should fill the void.

View attachment 82959

A quiet month in terms of games, but eventful off the pitch. We finish the month in 2nd place (forgot to take a screen print of the table), but we need to find some consistency going in to November.

Last edited:
NOVEMBER

The month starts with a home league game against ZTE and with both Lensce and Mervo injured, our 3rd choice striker Patrik Tischler gets not only his first start of the season but his first appearance on the season. He takes his chance to impress, scoring in the 2nd minute to give the Akademia the lead. Kuzyk also makes his debut, but is quite quiet. Ochigava continues to impress, getting the MOTM award as he heads away anything that comes near him.

View attachment 82921

I continue to contribute to the ever burgeoning Ukrainian population at the club by signing Vitally Balashov on a free transfer. Due to the restrictions in place in the league - maximum of 3 non-EU players in the match day squad - chances are he will rotate with Kuzyk.

View attachment 82920

In other news, I pass my coaching course to gain my National C licence which brings an improvement to my ability and reputation.

View attachment 82919

We travel to the catchily-named Mosonmagyarovari TE 1904, and unfortunately Ochigava is missing after picking up a knock in training. Fodor comes in at the back but the difference is notable and only helps to reiterate the importance of the Ochigava . We concede 3 in an entertaining 3-3 draw, with 2 conceded penalties and 2 goals from Tischler who continues in the absence of Lensce.

View attachment 82915

Soroksar are up next. If there is one thing we can lay claim to so far this season it's that we are consistently inconsistent. We lose 1-0 meaning that in the 3 league games this month we have won 1, drawn 1 and lost one. It's a poor performance, but it's also the 1st game of the season we have played without picking up a booking.

View attachment 82914

We finish the month in 2nd place but with only 7 points seperating the top 12 teams we are only a couple of months away from a "crisis". The Hungarian II league breaks for a considerable winter break - we don't play from the end of November until mid February. I see the 3 month break as an opportunity to get most of my first team players back from injury and see it as a chance for a fresh start.

View attachment 82913

However, before we break up we have the 3rd round of the Hungarian cup to contend with first. I have been playing my fringe players in the cup so far but with now that we are playing fellow Hungarian II team Budaors I field a strong team. We have 30 shots on target, pick up 7 yellow cards but can't find the net. It finishes 0-0 after extra time and we head to penalties. We win 4-3 with Ochigava scoring the winning penalty - he can do more than just defend.

View attachment 82912

The next round of the cup is drawn, and we get our 3rd non-league team of the competition so far - REAC - which turns out to be our 1st game when we return from the break.

View attachment 82911

I have been fending off interest and bids for my CM Laszlo Zsidai for the majority of the month but he has made his feelings clear - he wants out. Norrkopring offer £155k for him; it's too good to turn down, that is a huge amount of money at this level and trebles my bank balance. It comes just before the break and gives me plenty of time to find a replacement. His experience will be missed.

View attachment 82910

Last edited:
MID SEASON BREAK

The mid season/winter break in Hungary is a long one, lasting nearly 3 months. Strangely, the players don't have a break at all and stay with the club the whole time. My assistant, Brede Hangeland arranges 5 friendlies for us during January/February - it's pretty much a whole pre-season again.

View attachment 82776

It's a fairly decent set of results and performances in the friendlies, including a tight loss against Polish champions Lech and a drawer against Hungarian Premier League Videoton. Promising peformances, helped by my legion of frist teamers returning from injury (except Arabidze).

The transfer window also opens during the break. Roland Sallai, a player out on loan at Palermo who I pinpointed as my best player, has his contract up at the end of the season and Palermo offer him a contract. I can't compete with the wages they are offering and he agrees to join up with them permanently at the end of the season.

View attachment 82775

I offer Palermo the chance to take him permanently right now for £150k and they accept. With his sale, along Zsidai and and a couple of back up players we rake in nearly £400k in transfer fees.

Despite all this money sloshing around in our bank balances, I find it very difficult to find real quality and value in the transfer market. I'm suffering in central midfield and can't find what I need. I decide to bring in Bence Pavkovics on loan from Ujpest, as well as signing Teixeira for only £7k (he's Hungarian apparently, even with that name):

View attachment 82774View attachment 82773

Additionally we sign the young Hungarian striker Bence Biro on loan for Vit. Guimares, bringing the total number of Bence's in my squad to 6.

View attachment 82772

He plays well in the friendlies scoring 3 goals, giving me something to think about as we enter February ready to start the season again.

FEBRUARY

We recommence after the winter break with our cup tie against REAC. Despite the first 3 rounds being one-off ties, from the 4th round onwards we move to two-legged affairs. I have a full squad to choose from (with the exception of the long term injured Arabidze) but choose a bit of a mixed line-up with Bence Biro starting given his great form in the mid-season break. It's a more difficult game than I thought it would be with REAC pushing us all the way. We rely on a late goal from Pekar to give us the advantage for the 2nd leg.

View attachment 82675

I make another loan signing, pin-pointing a promising young Brazilian centre back from Cruzeiro - Emerson.

View attachment 82674

He offers more strength in depth at the back, but he's another non-EU player so will mainly be used when I rest Ochigava.

Next, we recommence our league campaign away to Csakvar. I go full strength and we ease to a 4-1 win, and it's our best performance of the season. Kuzyk gets his first goals for the club, and I'm also happy to see Lencse back in the goals.

View attachment 82673

3 days later we host Bekescsaba at home. Given the performance in the last game I keep exactly the same line-up. It's not quite as successful but come away with a pleasing 1-0 victory thanks to Prosser's strike. A clean sheet with no bookings is quite a turn up for the boys.

View attachment 82672

After 3 games in ten days I decide I need to rotate for the next game, a home tie against Soproni. Emerson and Teixeira make their debuts. We dominate this one with 22 shots to their 5, but only come away with a 0-0 draw. Strangely, my GK Hegedus comes away with the MOTM award despite only making 3 saves.

View attachment 82671

We finish the month in 2nd place in the league (unfortunately no screen print of the league table again). I look at my fixture list going in to March it's gonna be a busy month...

MARCH

March is an extremely busy month. We end up playing 9 games, signing a new player, losing a player to a broken leg, and taking in a new youth intake.

We start with 2nd leg cup tie against REAC. We draw 1-1 on the night, winning 2-1 on aggregate. We have to rely on an own goal to see us through, but seeing as we were playing my second string and we are now through to the quarter final I will take it.

View attachment 82670

The quarter final draw is made and I get Ujpest, my first tie against a first division side. They are struggling in mid-table so I feel confident we may be able to cause an upset.

Over the course of the next 10 days, we play 4 league games. It starts with a 2-2 draw against Cigand where Bence Mervo scores an injury time equaliser, before 3 wins against Cegled, Szolnok and Siofok. Lazslo Lencse scores in each game as he and the team start to hit form at the right time - we have now gone 7 league games without a loss.

View attachment 82663View attachment 82662View attachment 82661View attachment 82660

Unfortunately, it's not all good news. One of my central midfielders Gabor Gyomber suffers a leg break in training ruling him out for the remainder of the season. I wasn't best pleased with my centre midfield signings in the winter break and now they will have to play even more regularly given the games are coming quick and fast.

View attachment 82659

Next up is 3 more league games. We play out two poor 0-0 draws - one against bottom of the table Dogor, the other against 2nd place Balmazujvaros - with a strong 3-1 home victory against Vac. Lensce scores 2 more goals, meaning he has now scored 6 goals this month.

View attachment 82658View attachment 82657View attachment 82656

In the meantime, we welcome plenty of new faces to the club. Because I appear to have a soft spot for signing unattached Ukrainian's we pick up a strong CB Valeriy Boldenkov. I put him the B team for the time being just to build up his fitness. I haven't work out where he will fit in to the team - we're becoming a bit non-EU heavy.

View attachment 82655

In addition we welcome to the club our first batch of youth intakes. It's appears to be an average mix of players but Attila Bartus stands out as the pick of the players:

View attachment 82653

My youth candidates then take on my U19's, and beat them. Maybe it's a better bunch of youth players than I thought? Or maybe my U19's are just really poor?

View attachment 82652

However, the news I receive a few days later confuses me - my U19's win the league and they win it comfortably. So are my U19's actually pretty good? And what does that say for my youth candidates?

View attachment 82651

Our last game of the month is the 1st leg of our Hungarian Cup Quarter Final at home to Ujpest. I ditch my policy of playing my back-up players for this game; it's a big test and I'll need my best players available. It starts badly as we concede and early penalty and go 1-0 down. In the 2nd half my RB Eperjesi picks up a second booking and see's red. However, we knuckle down and Bence Mervo comes on to net an equaliser. It's a great result in the circumstances, but with Ujpest taking the away goal the 2nd leg will be tough.

We finish the month unbeaten and top of the league with a 3 point difference over Balmazujvaros - with the hectic schedule we have had I am delighted to come out the month in that position.

View attachment 82650

The board obviously agree with me and share my optimism. They offer me a new contract, specifically a 1 year extension with no pay rise. I did push for 2 years and more wages - just to protect my position a bit more - but they are adamant on a 1 year extension. I'll take it - not that I had much choice!

View attachment 82648

Last edited:
APRIL

April is another incredibly busy month, with another 9 games taking place. I remember mentioning at the start of the season the fixture schedule was nicely balanced - but this will be 2 full months in a row now with a game midweek and a game at the weekend.

We start the month hosting Budaors. After the draw against Ujpest in the cup the game before - and with one eye on the return leg - I field a rotated squad resting a large number of players. I have more confidence in my squad now, and it allows my back up non-EU players a game such as Emerson. We control the game but only come away with a 1-0 win.

View attachment 82549

Next is the return leg against top-tier Ujfest. It's a tough ask, especially with them having the away goal. I go full strength, but for the first time this season I field both of the Ukrainian wingers Kuzyk and Balashov on either flank - there are more lenient non EU player rules in the cup, allowing me to field 5 rather than 3. We go for a counter attacking set up hoping that that pace of the wingers will make a difference. And boy does it! Ujfest dominant possession and have 21 shots to our 9 but we come away with a 3-0 victory - Kuzyk assists, Balashow scores and assists. It's a great result and I it takes the Akademia to the semi-finals!

View attachment 82548

The semi final draw is made and we get Debrecen. They may be struggling a little this season sitting in 6th, but they are historically a massive side in Hungary, winning the cup 6 times. It will be one **** of a challenge.

View attachment 82547

Next up, we face 2 away games in the league. First we travel to Szeol and come away with a 1-1 draw, Kuzyk scoring for the 2nd game in a row. In a reverse from the previous cup game, we dominate and Szeol score with their only shot of the game.

View attachment 82546

3 days later, our road trip takes us to Kozarmisleny and it's another draw. The busy fixture list has tired out the squad, and now that he has regained full match fixtures after a shift with the B team Valeriy Boldenkov plays his 1st game after signing on a free. The team seems to miss Ochigava's presence as we concede two in a 2-2 draw.

View attachment 82545

The 2 draws now take us to 18 games unbeaten in all competitions - the last game we lost was the back before the winter break. There's been a fair few draws in the run but it's great achievement and we've hit form at the right time of the season despite the hectic fixture list.

View attachment 82544

Next up we return to the Pancho Arena to face Kisvarda. It's a comfortable 3-0 win, Balashov assisting all 3 games. Emerson also impresses at the back as well. My best players at the moment are all non-EU and I can't fit them all in the side. It's a relief there are so many game and I have a chance to rotate but I need to revisit the number of non-EU players in the squad at the end of the season.

View attachment 82543

The clubs bank balance is now in a positive position after selling a few players in the winter break. The improved budget allows the scouting range to be extended to all of Europe instead of just East Europe. I may be able to branch out from just signing Ukrainians!

View attachment 82542

We complete two more league games in the next week, and they are complete contrasts. At home to Szeged we field our first choice 11 - we are a sensation going forward but a liability at the back winning 4-2.

View attachment 82541

We then travel to Nyiregyhaza with our 2nd string. It's 0-0, toothless up front but a rock at the back - Emerson and Boldenkov performing brilliantly. Our centre midfield is a problem in our rotated squad - Teixeira and Pavkovics are just not good enough.

View attachment 82540

Next up, it's the cup semi final and the 1st leg against Debrecen. I unleash Balashov and Kuzyk again, the pacy wingers causing havoc. Kuzyk sets up Balashov for us to take the lead, before Chuka Derick Ogbu (great name) equalises pretty sharpish. Just before half time the wingers repeat the trick and Balashov nets again. We win 2-1 in front of our biggest crowd of the season. The players seem to raise their performances in the big games.

View attachment 82539

Saying that, it appears that after playing a semi-final against a First Division club the prospects of playing at home to Mosonmagyarovar is quite the come down. We lose the game 2-1, and at the same time lose our unbeaten record which finished at 22 games.

View attachment 82538

So another busy month ends. We set an unbeaten game record, knocked out one top-tier team in the cup and look good to knock out another one in the semi final, as well as consolidate our position at the top of the table. We're 4 points clear of Balmazujvaros, ZTE and Bekescsaba with 6 games left. It promises to be a very exciting last month of the season in May.

View attachment 82537

And so we enter May, the final month of the season. This is it. This where we will learn whether our efforts will be worth it or not.

We've been on a great cup run and beaten some big teams - but a semi final 2nd leg would render it worthless.

We've been on an unbeaten 22 match run - but nothing is yet set in stone.

We're top of the league - but we're only 4 points away from dropping to 4th.

This month will be make or break. Will the Akademia be able to bring glory to The Pancho Arena?

MAY

We start at home to Soroksar, a mid table team with nothing to play for. But they put up a lot more a fight than you might expect. It's incredibly tight, and a thumping header from Gyorgy Sandor seals the victory. Balmazujvaros win their game at Vac, whilst ZTE lose to fellow promotion candidates Bekescsaba so it remains tight at the top.

View attachment 82522

Next up we have two massive games against both ZTE and Bekescsaba, and both are away. This is then followed by the away leg in the Hungarian Cup semi-final. These 3 games in a week will shape the season - win all 3 and we're nearly there, lose all 3 and the season could be a write off.

We travel to ZTE and play as strong as a team as possible. Boldenkov has been playing very well when I have given him a run out and Ochigava will not be able to play all of the next 3 games so I bring him in for this one. It's an incredibly tight and even game. Experienced CB Vilmos Vanczak gives us the lead midway through the first half with a scrambled finish from a corner. In the 2nd half Kuzyk puts us 2-0 up with a rocket from the edge of the box. The score stays the same till the end, and with Balmazujvaros losing and Bekescsaba only managing a draw we pull away.

View attachment 82521

Next up, it's Bekescsaba. Given the last round of fixtures and with the 2nd leg of the semi final in 3 days I decide I can take a risk and play a weakened team - if we lose, we still hold the advantage. Giorgi Arabidze has been training and playing for the B team for most of April and is now at full match fitness. He was crucial at the start of the season and deserves a chance to return to the team at the end of the season. I rest both Kuzyk and Balashov and bring Arabidze straight in from the start.

Another tight game, and if anything we are second best. We go ahead in the 2nd half thanks to a Heffler penatly. As we enter the last 10 minutes Bekescsaba grab an equaliser threatening to damage our title credentials. However, as it always seems to be with football, the script seems written. We enter the 86th minute and Arbaidze is found on the right send of the penalty area before cutting in on his left and firing a shot in to the top left hand corner of the net with a curler. The 2-1 victory puts the advantage right in our hands now. It means that if we win the next league game, we are champions.

View attachment 82520

First up though is the 2nd leg of the cup semi final, and we travel to Debrecen. We hold a 2-1 advantage from the 1st leg but Debrecen have the away goal. Kuzyk and Balashov start, and I use this oppurtunity to start both Boldenkov and Ochigava in the centre of defence. My "Little Ukraine" is the best hope for us getting to the final.

It's great start. 7 minutes in Balashov starts on a run down the right hand side from the half way line, before firing a low cross to the back post where Kuzyk times his run to perfection to slot home. The early goal gives us a 2 goal lead and wipes out Debrecen's away goal advantage, and it seems to sap all the motivation from their team. We dominate for the rest of the game, 23 shots to their 11, but it takes until the 78th minute to score again with Bence Biro coming off the bench to score. Kuzyk then scores his 2nd in the 91st minute to seal a memorable victory.

View attachment 82518

We win 5-1 on aggregate and we are there - we are in the Hungarian Cup final! It's a tremendous achievement, and the fans and board are clearly delighted. We are up against Gyirmot, a team who if I am honest I know little about. The are currently 4th in the league so clearly of a good standard but we've knocked out 2 top tier teams so far so I fancy my chances.

View attachment 82517

The weekend arrives where I can win the league. I just need to gain 3 more points, and I have a chance on Sunday if I can beat Soproni who are struggling right down the bottom of the table. We play on Sunday, with Balmuzujvaros the only ones who can catch me playing on Saturday.

View attachment 82513

The news comes in...Balmuzujvaros have lost! They only have 2 games left and can't catch us. Puskas Akademia have not only sealed promotion, but we have sealed the Hungarian Division II title!

View attachment 82512

In the end it's a bit of an anti-climax; I would loved us to have won it via a victory rather than through another team losing. However, you can't be disappointed with a league title! Plus, I like to think all my players went round to Laszlo Lencse's house to watch the game in his kitchen - Jamie Vardy style.

We still have to fulfil our remaining league fixtures and and we travel to Soproni. If my players did have a party the night before, then it certainly shows. We really really struggle against a poor side, and it takes an 89th minute winner from Bence Biro to seal the 3 points. He's on loan at the club so probably isn't that close to the rest of the squad so wouldn't have got an invite to the party.

View attachment 82510

We then see out the rest of the season with our two final games. We draw 2-2 at home with Siofok with a second string side, before finishing the league campaign with a 3-0 win away at Siofok.
View attachment 82509View attachment 82508

The league season finishes with us in top spot, winning the league by a clear 10 points in the end. We had a great unbeaten run in the middle of the season but winning the league with 10 draws and 6 losses makes me feel slightly lucky. Balmazujvaros finish 2nd and join us in promotion to the Hungarian First Division.

View attachment 82507

Next up, it's the cup final and the chance of an unlikely double.