Returning Arsenal to their former glories

smiles1000

Reaction score
News Flash - Arsene Wenger quits after fan backlash over decision to sell Van Persie

New manager is Thomas Hickman, an inexperienced manager at the age of 25.

Last edited:
A few thoughts from the new manager

I'm happy to be announced as the new manager of Arsenal Football Club and I hope to be able to bring this magnificent club back to winning trophies. I know some fans will be unhappy at the appointment of someone with little experience such as myself but I feel that I have the ability to be able to deliver what I say. I hope to be able to attract big names to be able to add to a brilliant squad of players that are capable of winning trophies which is what the fans want

August 2012 Transfers

View attachment 293256

Demba Ba - Good goalscorer which is something I felt that lacking by Arsenal.

Jack Butland - Signed to challenge Szczesny for the first team spot. Always good to have two good goalkeepers.

Marouane Fellaini - Great midfielder still quite young so will hopefully be an asset to the team for the next 8-10 years

Yann M'vila - Young defensive midfielder, hopefully make the team better defensively

Marcel Schmelzer - Improve the left back position. Was between him and Baines but being younger and cheaper went with this option.

Zambrotta - Provide some experience to the back four plus provide cover when needed. Hope to train him as a coach soon.

Bakkali, Adryan and Shaw - all for the future. Hopefully become important part of the team in the next 3-5 seasons

Preseason

View attachment 293271

Happy with pre-season over all with some decent results and majority of the fit players getting some game time. At the start with the 0-0 draw with the reserves I thought what have I let myself in for then it started to pick up once match fitness improved and the new signings started playing. This ended up with 4 wins and a draw.

August

Everton (Away)
D 0-0
Not the best way to start the season but we didn’t lose which is a good thing.

West Bromwich Albion (Home)
W 2-0
First three points of the season came courtesy of Demba Ba’s first two league goals of the season.

10M for Luke Shaw undeveloped is too hefty for me,

It's £2.5 million upfront with the rest add ons like first international appearance and so many league appearances so hopefully won't be for a bit before that has to be paid

It's £2.5 million upfront with the rest add ons like first international appearance and so many league appearances so hopefully won't be for a bit before that has to be paid

Ah I see, that makes it seem a good deal then.

September

Theo Walcott
signs a new contract to June 2017.

Fulham
(Away)
L 1-4
Demba Ba gave Arsenal the lead but goals from Bryan Ruiz, Dimitar Berbatov and Mladen Petric (2) gave Fulham a deserved 4-1 win.

Mikel Arteta
out for 2 months with a hip injury

Manchester United
(Home)
W 2-1
Arsenal bounced back from defeat against Fulham to record a 2-1 win against rivals Manchester United. Theo Walcott and Demba Ba scored before half time and with around 15 minutes to go Wayne Rooney pulled a goal back to make it a nervy finish.

Zenit St. Petersburg (Home)
W 3-0
A good win in the opening Champions League group game with first half goals from Oliver Giroud and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain before Lukas Podolski scored in the second half.

Norwich (Home)
W3-1
Demba Ba opened the scoring on 29 minutes before Steve Morison equalised on 50 minutes. It wasn’t until injury time that after a change in tatics to push everyone up that Demba Ba scored 2 more goals to make the final score 3-1.

Stevenage (Away)
W 2-0
Arsenal go through to the 4th​ round of the Capital Cup thanks to goals from Tomas Rosicky and Oliver Giroud. A youthful team including 4 members of the under 18s squad played well for a well deserved victory.

Newcastle (Away)
W 2-1
Demba Ba gave Arsenal the lead on 40 minutes before Jonas Gutierrez equalised 4 minutes later. On 56 minutes Per Mertersacker headed home a corner to give Arsenal the win.

League table

View attachment 293514

An interesting result that caught my eye during the month

View attachment 293515

Unfortunately my save has become corrupt so I have lost this career but i have started a new one and will post a new thread containing that story :)