Revival of 4-3-3, based on Dutch national team

Tacos

Reaction score
Hello again everyone,

Last time I posted a fluid attacking 4-1-2-2-1 system for AZ, this time I've tried a 4-3-3. The main reason for this is the amount of goals I conceded. I won a lot of matches but it was always 1-2 or 3-1 even if the opponents had only 1 or 2 shots at goal. Second reason is because I've always been a fan of the Dutch national squad 4-3-3 formations. Everyone seems to go for a 4-2-3-1 formation nowadays, but that way we waste a lot of talent (Strootman is in the starting line-up, but Van der Vaart on the bench???)

Let's start from the beginning: (Based on current Dutch squad)

Gk- just a normal GK defend, no sweeping needed.
DL/DR- Full backs in a supporting role, Pieters and Van der Wiel in real-life, running down the lines.
DCL- Limited defender in a stopper role, I want him to defend, this would be Heitinga in real-life, no high defensive line or anything.
DCR- Limited defender in a cover role, Mathijsen in real-life, will clear anything that my DCL doesn't clear.

so this is my defense, I choose the limited defenders because that seems to be the weak point in my earlier 4-1-2-2-1.

For the midfield: (Based on 1998's squad and current squad with some tweaks)

LCM: A Ball-winning midfielder in a defensive role, I choose a BWM because Van Bommel in the Dutch squad plays a similar role, and in 1998 this role would be for Cocu.
RCM: A Box-to-Box midfielder in a supporting role, my virtual Van der Vaart role, Ronald de Boer in 1998, shoots from distance and supports the forwards.
CM: An Advanced playmaker, as we all know this would be Sneijder in real-life, crucial for any national squad, the advanced playmaker crushes the defence with great passing.

And finally, the attack: (Based on 1998's squad and current squad)

STCL: The Poacher, will make good use of any chances he gets. Not based on any player from 1998 or current squad, but important for this tactic.
STCR: The Deep lying forward, based on combined skills of Bergkamp and Overmars, the link between the lines as well as scoring goals.
STC: The Complete forward, based on combined skills of Bergkamp and Kluivert and Van Persie of current squad, combines the skills of all forward roles in one. Mostly used for scoring.

My tactic so far:

View attachment 219204

Next, the team instructions:

First, the philosophy, my 4-1-2-2-1 used a fluid system, for this one I decided to use a rigid system.
The strategy, based on the current Dutch squad, is control. I want to see some attractive football with much possession and much passing.
The passing style is more direct, may contradict my previous statement of having much passing, but I want my players to play a long ball if the opportunity arrises.
Creative freedom is more disciplined, matches with the rigid system.
Closing Down, based on current Dutch squad, is press more. Most of the matches the Dutch squad tries to regain possession as soon as possible, so let's honor that.
Tackling default
Marking is man marking, zonal marking is useless in this formation.
Crossing, based on current Dutch squad, is drill crosses. The Dutch squad usually has a winger crossing to Huntelaar or Van Persie, so let's honor that as well.
Last but not least, roaming. Even though I want as little creative freedom as possible, I don't want to discourage my fullbacks or poacher from making a rush, therefore more roaming.

Focus passing through the middle, obviously, since I have no real wingers.
Defensive line normal, no high line since for me that equals conceding goals.
Width a bit wide, so my fullbacks can support.
Tempo is quick, this is based on the 1998's squad.
And no time wasting.

View attachment 219205

I have only played a couple of matches at this point, but the results are promising. A 2-0, 3-0, 3-1 (too bad, once-in-a-lifetime goal from a NEC-defender) and a 4-0. So far I haven't conceded much, and possession and goal attempts are always in my favor.

Any replies are welcome, I could use feedback to improve the tactic for example

I have some pointers. I can't actually remember the specifics because in 1998 I was only 7. But I think Davids was always playing the BWM role and his partner was Cocu. Cocu was playing as a deep lying playmaker in support duty. There were 2 pacey wingers, Overmars and De Boer (or they might have used Zenden?). Then Patrick Kluivert as complete forward and Bergkamp as DLF or treq as second striker.. Or you might place an attacking midfielder behind Kluivert.

A similar tactics had to be used now (only Bert van Marwijk screwed it up). Nigel BWM, Bommel dlp, Sneijder treq, Robben and affelay on the wings. Vpersie complete forward