Reviving sleeping giants: AS Saint-Étienne

View attachment 50487

EUROs 2024

View attachment 50486

View attachment 50485
After a defeat against England and a win against Denmark in our preparation for the tournament, I was feeling good about the team. Our opening game was against Belgium and unfortunately, we couldn't get the win. We did dominate, which was very promising for us but there's clearly a lack of communication in the team right now and I'm hoping as we go through the tournament the players will learn how to play together a bit better.

View attachment 50484
A hugely disappointed result for us against a much weaker team, but they got a last minute equaliser and we have to just accept it and move on. Belgium lost against Norway in their last game at least, which means we'll stay in 2nd in the group and have to play against Norway in our last group stage game.

View attachment 50483
View attachment 50482
A great win in our last game sees us make it out of the group in 1st, as was expected from us which is great. Belgium surprisingly finish bottom of the group after losing to Czech Republic but I'll take it, it's one less huge team to face in the final if we get there!

View attachment 50481
We got Sweden in the next round, who finished 2nd in their group. Even though I was a little worried about them as I've seen what they're capable of in the EUROs qualifying group we had, I was still confident we would get a result and we did! A great win for us which puts us through in the quarter-finals of the EUROs, still nowhere near the final but we can get there! The draw has come in and it'll be Germany that stands in our way of the semi-finals...

View attachment 50480
Wow!!! Now I did not see that coming!!! That was an absolutely incredible game right there as we smashed Germany and make it through to the semi-finals! I really thought the Germans would put in a bit more of a fight to be completely honest with you, but we've made it through quite easily and we will face just one of 3 potential opponents in the semi-finals: Romania, England or Italy.

View attachment 50479
We couldn't have asked for an easier semi-final as we drew Romania and what an easy win this was! Looking at their previous results, they lost 5-0 to England in the group stages so I really thought we should come out on top in this game and we did. In the other semi-final, England lost to Italy on penalties which means we'll play Italy in the final. It's been 24 years since France won the EUROs, and even longer for Italy who haven't won the competition since 1968, so it's fair to say it'll be a huge match for both teams.

View attachment 50478
View attachment 50477
Ohhhh yessss! In what could be my final game in this story, we go and win the EUROs! What an incredible victory against a really good Italian side who gave us a really good run for our money! The win against Germany in the quarter-finals will remain in our minds as we lift the trophy for the nation's 3rd time ever! What an incredible tournament it's been and boy is it going to be hard to say goodbye to Saint-Étienne and to France now.

View attachment 50476
View attachment 50475
View attachment 50474
Just the one Saint-Étienne player in the Dream Team and he's not even French! It wasn't a great tournament for the likes of Combe and Lenglet and Upamecano but they've won the EUROs, which is what matters. Mbappé was by far the biggest star of the tournament and of the country as well so it's great to see him win the awards he's won.

And with that, we say goodbye to Saint-Étienne and to France! Thank you guys so much for all the likes on the different posts and just thank you for following and reading this story along the way! I'm going to just post the links for the polls again so that anyone who hasn't voted yet can do so and will leave the polls open until 12pm today before I announce the next chapter of my Reviving sleeping giants "series"!

Here's the poll for the future of the story:
https://strawpoll.com/5f422hbg
Here's the poll for the next team I take over:
https://strawpoll.com/1fw1b199

great squad, great story. Congrats.

fallen giant story - SUNDERLAND! or Pro Vercelli

I personally like Portugal, with anyone but Porto, Benfica or Sporting.

great squad, great story. Congrats.

fallen giant story - SUNDERLAND! or Pro Vercelli

I personally like Portugal, with anyone but Porto, Benfica or Sporting.
Cheers mate, I did consider Sunderland since they have won almost as many Premier Leagues as Aston Villa, but wanted to put more "foreign" clubs rather than English ones since it's done so much on here. As for Portugal, I did look into it but nothing really inspired me there.

Alright then, I'm going to look at the results of the poll now and decide what I'm doing next:

View attachment 50473
View attachment 50472
So there it is then, this will officially be the final post in this thread as I'll be starting a new one with Aston Villa! To be honest, I was hoping some last minute votes would get Genoa over the line as English clubs are done a lot on this forum but hey, it's what you guys wanted and there's always chapter 3 if I get around to it! Without further ado, let's get this underway! Once again, thanks everyone for reading this story, I really enjoyed it and it was great to come back and be able to write a story and the support I got just made me want to keep going so I'm excited for this new one!

What a final season! All possible trophies won and then the EUROs as well!! Been an absolute cracking read and unfortunately I missed the vote by 9 minutes ha! Hopefully Sunderland don't get the vote as I am black and white although I will still defo follow!

What a final season! All possible trophies won and then the EUROs as well!! Been an absolute cracking read and unfortunately I missed the vote by 9 minutes ha! Hopefully Sunderland don't get the vote as I am black and white although I will still defo follow!
I would've left it up for longer but wasn't sure if anyone else was going to vote as it stayed around the same throughout this morning! Sunderland wasn't in the vote at all so you're in luck ;) glad you'll be following my next story mate!

Come to BESİKTAS ( TURKEY ) :D

Hahaha, would you really consider them a sleeping giant though? They won the league last season (2016/17) and are the 3rd most successful club in Turkey!

Great story and what about Nottingham Forest?

I thought about it but as I mentioned previously, I didn't want to include too many English teams as I feel like that's done a lot on this forum so I only put one English option being Aston Villa, purely because they're the more successful club out of the 3 usual candidates for sleeping giants in England: Nottingham Forest, Leeds and Aston Villa. They've won the league more and have also won a Champions League, so it seems like a bigger fall from grace for them than the other 2! Who knows though, maybe in chapter 3 I'll include them in the poll :)