ZeCarlos

Reaction score
Writers Notes: Some of the dates used for transfers etc may not be correct - this is because I'm starting the game in January 2014 with LCFMarshall's latest update.

View attachment 365429
January 2014
FSG complete Takeover

View attachment 365428

The Fenway Sports Group have agreed a deal to complete the takeover of Major League Soccer side New England Revolution from Robert and Jonathan Kraft. FSG co-founders John W. Henry and Tom Werner will hold an equal share in the Revs which is one of the ten charter clubs of the MLS, having competed in the league since it's inception. The fee agreed is yet to be announced although it is believed to be worth around $50 million.

New England Revolution finished the 2013 MLS season in 3rd place in the Eastern Conference, reaching the play-offs before being beaten in the semi-finals by eventual winners Sporting Kansas City. Despite being one of the ten charter clubs of the MLS, the Revs have never won an MLS Cup. They have, however, reached the MLS Cup finals on four separate occasions - in 2002, 2005, 2006 and 2007 - and won the 2007 US Open Cup, as well as the 2008 North American SuperLiga. The Revs' former owners, the Kraft brothers, were hugely unpopular with fans due to their lack of involvement heavily restricting the progression of the club. In contrast, the Kraft's worked closely with NFL members the New England Patriots during a relatively successful spell.

John W. Henry, Tom Werner and the Fenway Sports Group have experience of owning a football club due to their takeover of Liverpool FC in 2010 which has led to a period of continued improvement for the Anfield based side. The Boston Red Sox are also owned by FSG. Upon the announcement, Henry said: "To secure ownership of the New England Revolution is a proud moment for myself, Tom and the rest of the Fenway Sports Group. We've been in discussions with the Kraft's for a short time now and to agree a deal before the start of the 2014 MLS season was important for us. Jay Heaps was a positive and young Head Coach for the team but we've passed up on the opportunity to extend his contract. We're already in advanced negotiations with a replacement whom we hope will cement our spot as one of the best teams in the MLS. I'd like to place on record a message to all Revs fans that their club will not be taken advantage of by Liverpool and our ownership of both clubs is in no way related. Furthermore, we have an exciting announcement to make in the coming days which we feel will put us on a positive footing with the outstanding and loyal Revs supporters."

Great OP mate. Good to have you back writing. Look forward to the next update. Will be following. :D

I've always been very interested in the MLS. Things such as the draft intrigue me. Will be reading!

Nice , I'm a big fan of MLS and Revs, I'll be following. Good luck! ;)

Great OP mate. Good to have you back writing. Look forward to the next update. Will be following. :D

I've always been very interested in the MLS. Things such as the draft intrigue me. Will be reading!

Nice , I'm a big fan of MLS and Revs, I'll be following. Good luck! ;)

Thanks for the early comments! :)

In regards to the drafts and transfers, I can't promise to be anything close to an expert. I will, however, try my best to learn along the way!

View attachment 364914

January 2014
Double Revs Announcement

View attachment 364880
New England Revolution have appointed 37-year-old Dutchman Clarence Seedorf as Head Coach following the takeover by the Fenway Sports Group. Seedorf, whom was recently released from his contract at Italian giants AC Milan, has signed a two-year contract at the Revs which will see him continue as Head Coach until the end of 2015. He replaces former Head Coach Jay Heaps at the helm of the Revs and will look to improve upon a 3rd placed Eastern Conference finish in the 2013 Major League Soccer season.

Upon his unveiling, Seedorf said: "I'm both excited and proud to be named Head Coach here at the New England Revolution. Having recently left my role at AC Milan, I was surprised when contacted by John Henry and the Fenway Sports Group. After listening to what they had to say in regards to their plans for the club, I was excited to be offered the role and am very much looking forward to starting the job. The former coach, Jay Heaps, did a good job in taking the Revs to the semi-finals last season so it's going to be a tough task to follow although I'm very confident in the teams ability. We have some exciting young prospects whom all have the potential to take this club to the next level in the MLS."

Following the appointment of Seedorf, John W. Henry and Tom Werner then unveiled details and renderings of a new soccer-specific stadium. The stadium, which will be sponsored as the UHC Stadium, will hold 23,500 supporters and is scheduled to be completed in time for the 2015 Major League Soccer season. Former Revs owners Jonathan and Robert Kraft received heavy criticism from fans for the lack of progress regarding a soccer-specific stadium. The move to the UHC Stadium will see the New England Revolution relocate into central Boston rather than on the outskirts of the city. Belgian firm Bontinck Architecture and Engineering, whom designed KAA Gent's Ghelamco Arena, were hired to draw up plans for the new stadium which is similar to that of KAA Gent's.

After revealing the renderings, the Revs' joint owner John Henry said: "It's an exciting step for the club to take. Despite being one of the ten charter clubs of the MLS, the Revs significantly struggled under the previous ownership to secure a soccer-specific stadium which had been well-requested by the teams fans. To be able to personally announce such a move is fantastic for me as we're able to bring the best facilities available to the club. Over twenty-three thousand Revs fans will be able to pack into the state-of-the-art stadium which is capable of being expanded to thirty-five thousand."

View attachment 364882

View attachment 364531
January 2014
Seedorf Signs Duo

View attachment 364530
Clarence Seedorf has made his first ventures into the transfer market as New England Revolution manager. Former Philadelphia Union youngster Zach Pfeffer has joined the Revs on a two-year deal in exchange for American winger Donnie Smith who will play his football as PPL Park next season. Following the acquisition, Seedorf moved swiftly to sign experienced out-of-contract goalkeeper Oscar Ustari. Ustari, whose contract with English side Sunderland was mutually terminated, has 3 caps for the Argentinian national team.

Youngster Pfeffer, who has been with the Union since 2010, has made the move of around 300 miles up the East coast after extensive talks with new manager Clarence Seedorf. The 19-year-old spent the 2013 Major League Soccer season on loan with Bundesliga side 1899 Hoffenheim where he scored two goals in nine games for their Under-19 team. Donnie Smith, formerly of Carolina Dynamo, moves in the opposite direction having played just one game for the Revs over the past two years. 27-year-old Argentinian Oscar Ustari also joins the Revs on a free transfer after leaving Premier League side Sunderland. Ustari, who represented his country at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, also previously played for Independiente, Getafe, Boca Juniors and Spanish side Almeria. It is expected that either Brad Knighton or Bobby Shuttleworth will make way for Ustari who should receive the number 1 jersey.

Following the double signing, Seedorf also allowed four players to leave the club. A quadruple of strikers (Dmitry Imbongo, Jerry Bengtson, Teal Bunbury and Saer Sene) left the Revs for European teams. Imbongo joined French Ligue 2 side CA Bastia for a reported $500,000 whilst Jerry Bengtson also made the move to France in order to represent Montpellier HSC for $800,000. Premier League side Stoke City then paid $1.1 million for French ace Saer Sene before 6'2" Teal Bunbury joined English Championship side Cardiff City for $400,000. Having let four strikers go, Seedorf now has only youngster Patrick Mullins and 27-year-old Charlie Davies to lead the Revs' attack. Steve Neumann can also play up front.