Sad1983

Reaction score
Rhythm N Blues Tactic

Hi everyone

So here is my tactic, it is called Rhythm n Blues.
View attachment 94069

My reason for creating this tactic, was to find a defensive system, that does not hinder the teams ability to win the match by giving away free kicks and cards, instead we look to intercept and close down gaps to force the opposition into mistakes, when on the ball we look to play an expansive game with plenty of possession. The amount of time my teams have worked a really beautiful goal, through passing and moving is so consistent.

With this formation, you have overloads in the central areas, but due to the inverted wing backs playing so high, you also have width in advanced positions.
I will make people aware that due to the unique formation and roles for the team there are certain things you will need to work on with players and signings, especially in the wing back roles as both are inverted wing backs, on the opposite side to the foot they use, this is to ensure the player is on their strong foot in advance areas of the pitch, which makes such a difference to the tactic.

A little bit of info on each role
G-def – the goalkeeper will look to play the ball out short to the centre backs to allow for a patient build up, in terms of what is required here, I have tended to go on Neuer then find similar players, reducing the attribute ratings until somebody shows on the transfer search.
CD –C - as with all three defenders, pace will be required here, but also more height, player who has worked well for me has been Ro-ShaunWilliams.
CD –D (R&L) – Again fast defenders here, avoid players with too much aggression as they will tend to move out of position or be alittle brash in there approach. I have found it better to have a leftfooter on the left and right footer to the right, due to passing options.
IWB –L&R – lots of speed, do not have to be great defensively, youwant to avoid players who hug touchline, best ppm here is, gets forward wherever possible, you need to have a left footer in theright wb position and a right footer in the left wb position. I have played players out of position without them knowing the role at the start of a season so then they learn the role.Due to not using wingers in the system I have tended to train all left footed wingers to rwb position with the role of inverted wing back and vice versa for the right footed wingers.Players who have done well for me here have been Allesenadro Crescenzi,Kgoshi Nthle, Kye Walker – peters.
Dm –D
Heartbeat of the team, here you need someone reliable in positioning, think of Busquets, again a goood solution to finding players for this role is to find similar players to Busquets and then reduce the attribute number until you find players suited to your level.
Cm –A
A central winger role here, so a player capable of dribbling with the ball, off the ball movement also needs to be good to allow the player to make runs past the wing backs (who tend to start out more advanced) and past the striker. Lansbury worked well for me here.
B2B –S
Usual attributes for the role, work rate, stamina, I do prefer a left footed player playing here as this can ensure the difference between the ball landing on his favoured foot in the box.Saville has worked well for me here.
SS –A A variety of players can be utilised in this role, each different type of player offering different subtleties, it is worth noting what you have in also the defennsive forward position, my combo usually consists of a David silva type player(tecnically good, not fast) with a rashford type (fast, raw with good movement) or a winger who has been retrained to SS – A (pacy and skillful) with a hard working striker ahead of him.So the choice is yours here, always worth perhaps having 4 players wiith varying attributes, to switch these players if one combo is not working.
Df –please read SS role.
Team instructions

View attachment 94068

Reasons behind team instructions
Highly structured – This is so then players do not have too much individual effect on the system, if you play fluid here, you risks the more flair players trying to play outside of the system, for me this would ruin the idea of the tactic, as openings are created not through individual brilliance but by movement and manipulation of the ball.
Much lower – to increase the amount of ball retention, this also allows the players to slowly build and join in the attacking areas of the pitch.
Narrow– this ensures that the central defenders do not leave big gaps for opposition to exploit.
Slightly higher and offside trap – I want my centre backs to win the ball back in the first phase of the opposition gaining the ball to stop counter attacks.
Close down more with stay on feet – the idea is to crowd the player with out jumping in and giving away the ball, it is so much quicker to create a counter when you intercept rather than slide in on a player, as the ball will be under your players control straight away.
Playout of defence - maintain possession – again with a control mentality we need to slowly build up the pitch to create the overloads centrally and in the inside wb positions.
Workball in to box – to stop crossing and long shots, we need to continue to be patient, you will find with this system you will havea very high cross completion %, this due to low numbber of crosses and the fact that when a chance presents itself to cross rather than keep the ball the team will still look to cross.
but the chance needs to be golden!
Dribble less – with the one twos and short triangles the team pass in there is no requirment for much dribbling to take a player out of the move,when the players have been able to dribble before we tended to lose the ball after taking on one man, where as with players passing around players you can take two to three players out with passing and movement.Roam from positions – this allows players to get in to good positions for forward passes – so important to create triangles and diamonds of passing shapes.

How Iuse this -
Regardless of club, level or expectation – I set up this tactic and use no other regardless of early results.
I set individual training to every player in my club - to learn the role they will be required to use.
I ensure I have two players for each position, plus youth players who can be used if required.
You may need patience depening on what players you have at your club,for instance with Coventry it took around 10-15 games for this to settle, with Oldham it took nearly a full season, this was due to being unable to bring in the players I wanted in the first season with low funds. Even so towards the end of the first season with oldham, I began to see the working all coming together and am now looking at a very succesful 2nd season. Predicted 9th –currently in first on a 20 game unbeaten streak going back to end of last season.
With coventry, I managed to get the team to the premier league in just two seasons, and was competitive in the EPL 10th still with players such as Turnbull, Garrratt, Bigirimana, Zach clough.

Training– pre season I do one week of tactical, one week of attacking movement and one week teamwork, during the season we do defensive positioning.

As with anything out there, i'm sure there can be improvements made, good luck everyone and I hope you leave feedback for me, also please feel free to ask any questions I will try my best to provide answers to all.
View attachment 94067View attachment 94066View attachment 94065View attachment 94064View attachment 94063
Overand out - Martin

http://www.mediafire.com/file/rgrb8...ctic_6FDDCB88-0843-429F-BC38-49273AA8A547.fmf

Last edited:
Best OP ive seen recently. well done

nice to see someone posting a tactic tested in league 1 it looks very impressive !!! just a quick question do you use opposition instructions mate

agreed with the comments above. great to see some effort. will give this a go tonight with my Chelmsford City team in the championship, i dont have the budget to try dominate the other teams so this looks like the best option for my centre back heavy squad

nice to see someone posting a tactic tested in league 1 it looks very impressive !!! just a quick question do you use opposition instructions mate
No I don't use any opposition instruction as I found they changed the press from the centre backs

Update

i have recently started the Alex ferguson challenge with this tactic, started with hull who were second bottom on November 6th, my inverted wing backs were both naturally footed for the sides they played in the system which is the opposite of my normal method, we ended the first season in 13th with a 16 game undefeated run stretching from 12th of December to 19th of February, we ended the season with the highest possession and passes completed,. Now in to the 2nd season and currently sat in 5th position with the date 12/2 hoping for a final push in to the top four, sadly we are out of both cups following defeats to Liverpool in the fa cup and Man Utd in the league cup, in terms of signings de Andre yedlin and Patrick van aanholt have been fantastic as wing backs, if anyone requires more info on the best way to get the most out of this tactic then please let me know

De Andre Yedlin is probably the best crappy wingback on the game. He scored 7 goals in 3 matches for me at one time, but useless defencively xD

Just a thought as I am not a tactical mastermind but, wouldn't the DF be better on At as Su aims to hassle DM's and At hassles CBs?

Yedlin

De Andre Yedlin is probably the best crappy wingback on the game. He scored 7 goals in 3 matches for me at one time, but useless defencively xD

Agreed But in the system I use he is only used defensively as a number and doesn't need to be great positionally

Defensive forward

Just a thought as I am not a tactical mastermind but, wouldn't the DF be better on At as Su aims to hassle DM's and At hassles CBs?

Hey mate defensive forward only has defend and support, support duty presses the back line