RIDICULOUSLY HARD & STUPID MATCH ENGINE!

LFC Rules

Reaction score
I've been a devoted servant of CM/FM from the beginning .. & with the beginning I mean from the first time Championship Manager came out. Up til today I've purchased ALL series .... but I've NEVER, & I repeat, NEVER been faced with a ridiculous, stupid & non-sense game like FM09! I'm sure I will no longer be such a devoted servant of SI games! And I will outline the various reasons that have made me so furious over the past weeks.

1. Yes, as many have said the game is SOOOO RIDICULOUSLY hard! I mean, let's make it clear, I'm not the type of person that expects to win every game or every cup. NOT AT ALL! I love the challenge & I don't like easy games. BUT FM09 is toooooooo hard .. not even Alex Ferguson will manage to be successful in it, I'm sure about that. FM08 wasn't easy but it wasn't extra hard & the challenge was there - it was exciting, not like FM09. I've restarted the game countless times .. I've tried thousands of different tactics/formations/player instructions etc etc etc but all to no avail. Sometimes a tactic works well for about 3 or maybe 4 games, but then it makes your players look like they've never played football. Oh come on! If a tactic is right for the team, the team will perform. Yes, there may be a slight lack of form but not a completely lack of form like in FM09!! Also, I believe that you should be patient with a tactic .. & OH GOD, was I patient?!?! But now ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

2. What about the match engine?!!?! It's so ****** stupid that it makes you vomit! Just to mention a few - a player passing the ball & he's sooo stupid that he just hits his team-mate while passing - the result, a goal against us!! And this has happened a million times!!! Come on!! I'm not saying that mistakes don't happen but NOT SUCH STUPID MISTAKES like in FM09!! And mind you, I was managing Liverpool & not, with all due respect, Kidderminster!!! I don't expect these continuous stupid mistakes from a team like Liverpool. They don't happen so often (almost never) in real life & THIS MAKES FM09 SOOOOOO UNREAL! Another example .. once Pepe Reina (everyone knows he's a good GK) conceded a goal from almost the middle of the pitch - it was a poorly taken freekick which even my mother would catch, but for some strange reason Pepe (or better the stupid match engine of FM09) just let the ball slip through his hands!! Come on!! Furthermore, how come ALMOST ALL the 50-50 tackles are won by opponents??? & I don't play Easy Tackling! Another stupidity! And what about the CLEAR-CUT CHANCES?????? On soooooooo many occasions, Fernando Torres misses chances one-on-one with the keeper that even my cat would be able to score them!!!! & we're talking about Torres here ... cos if it was N'Gog I would accept it, maybe ... but not Torres! & if the match engine is stupid for my team, on the other hand it's soooooo intelligent for the opponents! I just remain astonished by the capability of certain lower teams how they manage for example to perform regular defence-splitting passes! Unbelievable! & what about the crosses?!?!?! From thousands or even millions of crosses, maybe I manage to score 2! Does that happen in real life?!? Does it?! & why not mention the penalties!! Chelsea, Arsenal & Man U all had about 8-10 penalties in half a season!!! Goodness me ... the refs must really love them! & finally (not that there aren't more stupid things in the match engine but it's impossible to mention them all) .. why the **** do the players have to smash the ball each time they shoot????? It seems like I have rugby players in the team & not football players!!!

3. This will be my last point cos if I continue writing, I just won't stop! Again I will mention tactics coz like many other things, they're so UNREAL! So I've downloaded & read the tactics tips from SI (that's how desperate I was!)... & they say that if you're playing on a long pitch you should play narrow & if you're playing on a short pitch you should go wide! Yea ... that's what I've been trying to do but I tell you ... IT DOESN'T WORK!!!! I repeat ... I've tried so many different tactics & I tried to follow the logic suggested by the 'experts' but ALL FOR NOTHING! Of course .. coz the game is so stupid & impossible that's why. And as I said earlier, Im not new to these types of games ... so I've got experience. I've been playing the CM/FM series for almost 11 years now, so I'm sure I've got the know-how of tactics etc etc! But when you're playing a stupid game like FM09, it doesn't matter whether you're a beginner or an expert coz you will not succeed.

I've been tempted to break into pieces the FM09 DVD-ROM on numerous occasions (that's how mad it's been driving me) but when I remember that I've paid good money for it, I just don't do it. But now I am certain that I WILL NEVER PLAY FM09 AGAIN at least until the SI family come out with a patch that will remove these stupidities & improve the overall game.

Shame on you SI! I've never expected such a **** game from you. You've lost a big fan.

Anthony:mad:

This people is a prime example of someone who is not happy with Fm09:p

I like the game myself and feel its the best one in a long time but hey my 13 years experience is nothing to your 11 years.

Does that happen in real life?!? Does it?! & why not mention the penalties!! Chelsea, Arsenal & Man U all had about 8-10 penalties in half a season!!! Goodness me ... the refs must really love them!

This does actually happen in real life!

1. Ive heard loads of people say this but ive not found it hard yet, but im sure it is harder as its new. However I must say i rarely win a game by more than one goal.

2. Yup the engine sucks, tjhey didnt have it right in 2d ffs nevermind 3d (although i felt 08 atfer the patches was pretty close to being...acceptable. So far with the engine ive found that players just stand back and watch ie closing down isnt good enough even though you are instructing them to do so.

3. My tactic seems to be working ok from 08, like i said before i rarely win by more than a goal.

4. SMASH THE DVD - not like you need it :p

However I must say I need to play the game a lot more to notice stuff, in total ive not even played a full season yet as ive been happy contiuing my game on 08, plus 09 is slowwwww (which appears to be gettign fixed in the enxt patch out in the next few weeks)

I have never noticed my players stand off the ball and I have won my last 3 games by 4 goals, 3 goals and then my last game by a goal, conceeded an own goal in the 96th minute which was annoying.

James .... Yes I know Arsenal, Man U & Chelsea are loved by referees in real life ... but they're not given that amount of penalties in half a season .... so no that's not real! & you've only got 2 extra years experience, so that's not much ;-) Best one in a long time? No way!!!! FM08 was the BEST. Lucky you if you're doing well ... but are you cheating? Any data editors? Be honest! I don't use any of those.

Gregor ... Even I didn't manage a full season but I've been 'trying' to play it since its release ... so you just can imagine!!! Each time it just drives me crazy & I restart it ..... that's why I've never managed a full season!! It's so ****** stupid that I've started to hate it to be honest!

And yes Gregor ... I agree with the closing down problem .... that's something which I didn't mention amongst MANY OTHERS!!! They just keep looking at the opponent as if they're saying 'hey you can get past me, Im not gonna close you down coz I dont care what my stupid manager told me'!!!! That's how it feels I assure you!!! And what about for eg a loose ball, your defender is VERY CLOSE to it but leaves it and all of a sudden the opponents' striker just comes running, takes the ball & scores!?!??!?! Isn't that STUPID or not?

I haven't used data editors since 01/02 when I was a naive 13 year old. I am still getting the annoying winning streaks then losing streaks which I got on FM08, don't know if this is the game or just me.

Have you installed the patch?

The thing Gregor mentioned about slowness, I agree.

LFC I haven't noticed all the mistakes that seem to happen for you. My players do prefer smashing the ball when shooting though, whether it just looks like they are shooting on the 3d screen.

o infact ive just remember the most annoying thing. I hit the bar or post on average once a game, usually twice, but def every once a game.

o infact ive just remember the most annoying thing. I hit the bar or post on average once a game, usually twice, but def every once a game.

Yeah this happens for me actually or at least skims the bar

Yep I do have the 9.1 patch.

And yes, hitting the bar & posts continuously ... that's another 'common' FM09 stupidity!!!

There is actually one thing I am not happy with, I've noticed long shots are done by both teams far too often

This people is a prime example of someone who is not happy with Fm09:p

I like the game myself and feel its the best one in a long time but hey my 13 years experience is nothing to your 11 years.

This does actually happen in real life!
I agree entirely with what you say, Great game and the best yet

I dont know what to suggest.

I have now started for the 3rd time with Liverpool after being sacked before, after and around Xmas. I was so miffed I started a game unemployed and was gonna work my way up. But as expected starting with a lower league Russian team i got the sack.

You set your teamup with a reasonable formation and tatics and they will beat superior opposition one week then lose to **** teams the next 2 matches.

try the default 4-2-3-1 Liverpool formation and leave the tactics sliders, close to the middle, just tweak a bit. That worked for me for a while. It is realistic and it isn't i used to take a 1 formation fits all, but then thought about a game by game tactic so set up a 4-5-1 away to Utd and kept them out, but as usual they scored late on. :(

It is harder I feel, but I think you have to stumble upon the formation and style for your team, whoever they are.