Riera completes Olympiakos move

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 38
  • Views Views 2K
Status
Not open for further replies.
:D

In fairness, it's a massive signing for the Greek league given that he's been capped for Spain and is moving from Liverpool's first team squad. Might suit him to be the big fish in the small pond too as he'll not be criticised for not putting the effort in so much.

Zeb; Whatever you say is always so true and makes so much sense. Occasionally it makes me want to cream myself.

I think Babel would be better used as a Striker, and then for us to buy a left winger. Babel is strong, tall, and fast, which is kind of what we want. Babel's a **** winger

I fully believe Babel will become an Anfield Legend.

BUT HE NEEDS TO BE AROUND.

So as I said before thank goodness Riera has gone.

Babel is poor and I hope he leaves. I think Joe Cole is much better.

:D

Usually I'm not the bad - if I can turn on the computer, I'm not really that drunk....

Babel is poor and I hope he leaves. I think Joe Cole is much better.

Joe Cole needs to be an AMC to be fully effective.

And Babel needs to be upfront to be fully effective,

So they don't play the same roles.

Joe Cole needs to be an AMC to be fully effective.

And Babel needs to be upfront to be fully effective,

So they don't play the same roles.

Obviously not although I believe Cole is more effective. Also I doubt either of them will be played in those positions this season, and hopefully Babel will leave.

And I hope he stays..

Hodgson can revive his Liverpool career

Problem with Babel up front is that he has no ability to actually retain possession.

His pace makes him an option if you're looking to hit sides on the break but otherwise he's shown nothing which would suggest he's anything but a liability there in games where you want to to control possession.

Might function a bit better if he has a partner who he can feed off I guess. But that would mean changing the whole team's style of play just to accomodate a Bobby Zamora/Darius Vassell pigeon chaser of a striker. Would be very disappointed if we headed down that road again after Houllier's Heskey/Owen version of that.

And I hope he stays..

Hodgson can revive his Liverpool career

Basically what Zeb said. We'd be better off getting some decent cash for him or doing this swap deal for Huntelaar imo.

Problem with Babel up front is that he has no ability to actually retain possession.

His pace makes him an option if you're looking to hit sides on the break but otherwise he's shown nothing which would suggest he's anything but a liability there in games where you want to to control possession.

Might function a bit better if he has a partner who he can feed off I guess. But that would mean changing the whole team's style of play just to accomodate a Bobby Zamora/Darius Vassell pigeon chaser of a striker. Would be very disappointed if we headed down that road again after Houllier's Heskey/Owen version of that.

Babel right now plays for himself, always looking for a one-two and hence why he loses possession alot.
BUT
Hodgson I believe can install the right attitude into Babel and turn him into a class act.

Babel right now plays for himself, always looking for a one-two and hence why he loses possession alot.
BUT
Hodgson I believe can install the right attitude into Babel and turn him into a class act.

Hope it's possible. Lad's got talent in abundance. Just hasn't shown he's got anything close to the footballing brain to go with it. Reminds me a lot of a young Collymore. Not saying Babel is out at night round car parks, but that he's got that same kind of 'feel' as a player - moments of absolute brilliance in between hours of absolute frustration at the inability of the player to perform the very basics of his craft.

He was close to being sold in January but the board wouldn't confirm that Rafa could re-use the cash. Not sure that he'll be at the club much longer, which would be a shame for a player so naturally gifted. But he might be better suited to being the 'big' player at a smaller club who play on the break 99.9999% of the time. He's 24 now. If he's not got it yet, after extensive coaching through the Ajax system and at Liverpool, will he ever?

He had a good first season but benitez never played him after that or looked interested in playing.
The money is good and hopefully we will see if babel improves his behaviour and start playing well like he did at ajax.
like people have said he's 24 now so it's last chance saloon...or banished to a lower rep team always wondering what he could of achieved instead of sulking.... good example of this was anelka/saviola who could of being the best strikers we have ever seen of this generation..

For a country which supposedly has no money, they sure know how to waste it on flares.
At least we've got enough cash to drink our coffee and to pay the season ticket!
You have no idea about football here,billy.If I start saying all those stars in pension that they expected for them to score loads of goals(and scored in fact loads of women),to terrorize the defences,etc,believe me, that takes more than a thread.
Who knew greek football 15 years ago anyway?
I agree,good riddance to Riera,but he is already a good transfer for the team(at least he's better than Rommedahl,so he's a pro footballer) but i trully believe they overpaid him.

Roy has been here a matter of weeks and has already managed to clear out alot of dead wood that rafa failed to in 5 years (though i'm disappointed aurelio was released). Good times.

Roy has been here a matter of weeks and has already managed to clear out alot of dead wood that rafa failed to in 5 years (though i'm disappointed aurelio was released). Good times.

So the dead wood Roy has cleared out includes... Riera. Who has been on his way out since January.

Yossi, Insua, Aurellio are dead wood?

Rafa actually released a lot of dead wood in his time, it's something which he was criticised for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back