Rijkaard to leave Barcelona post

Redders

Get in the Van.
Reaction score
Barcelona coach Frank Rijkaard is to step down at the end of the season and will be replaced by the club's reserve team coach Josep Guardiola.

Former Dutch international Rijkaard, 45, took charge at the Nou Camp in 2003 and won La Liga in 2005 and 2006, as well as the Champions League in 2006.

But Barca have not won a trophy since and currently lie third in the table.

Guardiola, 37, played for Barca for 17 years from 1984-2001 before returning to coach their reserves in 2007.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/7391126.stm

Man Shitteh anyone?

ha, cool as **** that Guardiola is gunna be manager, what a guy

Aye a ledg. SS's Spanish correspondent doesn't think he's the right choice though.

Not surprising he's gona leave. His record his good when you look at it, two Liga's and a CL, yet this season it looks like he's lost the confidence of everyone

i thought Mourinho would have got it ah well

Been in the spanish media for a couple of months now. I think its the correct decision since they are going to replace Frank Rijkard. Politics have come into the decision. Most barcelona fans would take Mourinho cause evidently the team has lost its winning mentality. The whole issue with Mourinho is that his style of football this strict van gaal 4-3-3 system would not endear him to the club's 'spiratual" (yes sounds *****) advisor Johann Cruiff. Its also likely that no matter the amount of success achieved, mourinho's tenure at Barcelona would be shor. Barcelona are a club that will give promising coaches an opportunity to succeed. Big name or not, a coach that understands the philosophy at Barcelona is important for stability and longevity (evident at alot of Spanish clubs). Guardiola could be an almight failure however its a decision Barcelona hierachy will stand by.

ha, cool as **** that Guardiola is gunna be manager, what a guy

Was a legend on CM2 95/96 for Barca! :pleased:

But if they want a manager who will make sure they play nice football then let them do it. He played for them for a long spell and when they had some great players. I'm sure he can do a good job for them and get them playing the right way.