RIP Christian Benitez

Reaction score
220px-Benitez-America.jpg

Ecuador striker Christian "Chucho" Benitez has passed away after complications relating to appendicitis.
Ecuador striker Christian Benitez, also known as "Chucho", has passed away this morning, his agent and the national team co-ordinator have confirmed.
The 27-year-old's sad death is a huge shock, and has come about after complications relating to appendicitis, according to his father-in-law. The disease then became peritonitis before leading to respiratory arrest.
Benitez played for El Nacional and Santos Laguna in his career before a season on loan at Birmingham City in the Premier League, before returning to Mexico with Club America before joining El Jaish in the Qatari league. He also played at the 2006 World Cup for his country, picking up 58 caps in his career.
The highly-talented striker's surprise death will come as a huge blow to football. Antonio Valencia, a close friend of the striker, took to Twitter earlier to tweet his condolences to his family and mourn his death as reports began to filter through, which were confirmed by the player's club, agent, and father-in-law.

A sad day, I for one remember his outstanding season at Birmingham and have always wished he returned to England for another season.

RIP Christian Benitez

Just heard about this on ssn, they said reports say it was a car crash though, sad news.

Oh what the ****?!

That's horrible news, RIP.

R.I.P :( , incredible.. 2 hours ago i was playing FM with Fleetwood and Benitez scored 8 goals in 2 legs for Lyon and caught my eye. What a very sad news :(

Very very sad news, 27 is no age to die! Wanted to see him back in England as i don't think he got a fair crack at the whip first time round. RIP.

oh what hes a legend in my eyes i have his inform on my FUT and signed him in my Everton save i actually respect the fella only bought him on my career this morning aswell good player saw him play twice aswell tragic news .
horrible thing to here
R.I.P chucho
View attachment 372146

Jesus wept. How incredibly tragic. Horrible way to pass.

R.I.P Christian

RIP Chucho, I can still remember all those goals you scored for America, Thank you Chucho for winning us a championship before you left. Chucho you'll always be remembered as an America Legend, not only for winning the championship but being the only player to win top scorer 3 times in a row. Chucho may you rest in peace, You will be missed.

Very sad news indeed,i on behalf of many Glasgow Rangers fans here send condolences out to the whole community of football,and im sure everyone should unite.

Tragic thing to wake up to.
FM14 Just got alot less fun.

27 is no age to go.
RIP Christian Benitez.

R.I.P., it's so sad to see a still-playing footballer pass away, 27 is far too young! Didn't he sign permanently for Brum for a season or so?

R.I.P., it's so sad to see a still-playing footballer pass away, 27 is far too young! Didn't he sign permanently for Brum for a season or so?

no on loan for a season tried to get him on a permanent but dont think they could agree a deal or terms or somin just looked at him on fifa ultimate team and as a sign of respect he is now selling for like 10-15k his original price of 1k
R.I.P Chucho football legend

what you mean? it shows that the whole football world are showing respect i know it sounds stupid but whats wrong with that

TBH it's probably just because he's come to everyone's attention and they want him as he is in the news. Nice thought though...