Rise of the Americas - North American Soccer Superleague

ivtechboyinpa

Reaction score
Let me start out by saying I absolutely love soccer, as I'm sure all of you do, or else we wouldn't be playing FM eh? But in particular, being an American, I wish soccer was a more dominant sport here. The MLS is on the rise, the U.S. did decent in the World Cup, but I want more than that! So I want to give a shout-out to superkiwi6 for doing this USA Fantasy Update. For those of you who haven't heard of the mod, here's the background:

The United States of America stated in 2013 that soccer is finally a valuable sport, and decided to promote it all over the country. They invested a lot in facilities to improve youth development and reorganized the leagues in a European way.
Led by these changes and under pressure of the big USA, the CONCACAF and COMEBOL decided to merge their competitions and created two new continental cups to replace the old ones : the American Gold and Silver Cups. Brazil, Argentina, Mexico and now USA can compete in a super continental league that now challenges the European ones.

The mod totally does over U.S. soccer, getting rid of the MLS in favor of the North American Soccer Superleague. There is then three lower leagues, North American Soccer Leagues 1, 2, and 3. If you're interested or want to know more, check out the link, as I don't want to turn this into a summary or review, plus I would like to write my story :)

I'll do my story in an article/news-style way as well as a monthly summary. I've already started the game and are a few months in, but it's the preseason currently. Hope you all enjoy it!

Update: By the way, if you guys ever want any kind of information or anything, seeing as this is a mod, let me know! I'll be happy to get it for you.

Last edited:
From The American Soccer Chronicle, December 31st, 2012:

Former international player Yovarni Yearwood has announced his desire to retire from soccer in order to coach. Many view this as a horrible decision, as Yearwood has years ahead of him to play soccer and gain experience. When asked why, he responded:

Like a lot of my peers, I've been playing soccer since youth, about 20 years or so now. I've played for tyke teams, youth teams, clubs, and even for my country. My passion for soccer is out of this world. Would I love to still play soccer? Of course! But I feel, for me personally, my time would be better spent to tutor the next stars of America, who'll no doubt be even better than I could've ever dreamed to be.

Yearwood, who is only 26, has had 25 caps for the United States of America and scored 9 goals during his tenure with the national team. He is undeniably set in his decision and will begin his job search immediately.

Chris Peterson, writer for the American Soccer Chronicle

From The American Soccer Chronicle, January 1st, 2013:

Reports say that New York City F.C., Miami Fusion, and Colorado Rapids have approached Yearwood for an interview. More updates coming your way.

From The American Soccer Chronicle, January 2nd, 2013:

The Colorado Rapids and New York City have reportedly approached Yearwood for the position of Head Coach. Nothing as to whether Yearwood will accept the role or not. Miami Fusion rejected Yearwood because of his refusal to sign high reputation players. Only details of the deal from Colorado were seen:
Salary: $1,100,000
Length: 2 years; January 2, 2013-June 30, 2015
Expectations: Challenge for the NASS title, Reach the 5th round of the U.S. Cup
Philosophies: Play an attacking style of soccer, sign youngsters for the first team, give youth a chance
Other: Search for feeder club, upgrade training and youth facilities, buy stadium

Last edited:

From The American Soccer Chronicle, January 3rd, 2013:

The Colorado Rapids have confirmed their hire of Yearwood in a press statement today:

The hire of Yovarni Yearwood as the head coach of the Colorado Rapids is a stepping point in the club's attempt to raise it's stature in the soccer world, particularly with the rebranding of Major League Soccer to North American Soccer Superleague. He has been given a surmountable amount of money in regards to the transfer and payroll budget to reform the club as he sees fit. The entire staff has been fired upon his request and he will begin looking immediately to fill vacant roles in the club. We believe Yearwood is the right man for the job and that he can lead the club to a bright future. We hope to work with him for years to come.

With the preseason beginning in June and about 7 weeks of prep, Yearwood has about six months to get his staff and players together to be ready to challenge for the NASS title come August.

Chris Peterson, writer for the American Soccer Chronicle

From the American Soccer Chronicles, Febuary 1st, 2013:

New Rapids head coach Yovarni Yearwood has wasted no time in getting business done in the transfer market. Throughout last month, he signed a total of 10 players and reports show that he has no signs of slowing down.

Diego RiveroM(C)Boca$500K
Nicolas TagliaficoD(C)Banfield$2.9M
Bernard ParkerSTKaizer Chiefs$140K
Gaetano BerardiD(R)Sampdoria$1.1M
Guillermo OchoaGKFree TransferN/A
Ciro CapuanoD(L)Latania$450K
Bill HamidGKD.C. United$4.1M
Federico DionisiSTLivorno$1.9M
Marco ZambelliD(R)Brescia$2.8M
Jorge MolinaSTReal Betis$2M

From the American Soccer Chronicles, February 8th, 2013:

In latest transfer news, Spanish GK Victor Valdes has joined the Colorado Rapids on a free transfer. His contract is worth $18.9M with incentives over 3 years with a 10% salary increase. Many are wondering why Valdes was signed with Ochoa already on the team. When asked about this, Yearwood responded:

Who says you can't have more than one quality goalkeeper? Do you realize how essential goalkeepers are? Someone like Tim Howard or Wojciech Szczesny can really make the difference in a game. Guillermo and Victor are both high-quality and world-class goalkeepers and I'm glad to have both on board with the Rapids. I signed Victor to play in the first team and that's where he'll be, with Guillermo ready in case anything happens.

From the American Soccer Chronicles, June 17th, 2013:

The beginning of the transfer market today signifies many things, but in particular it signifies the return of USMNT strikers Jozy Altidore and Aron Johannsson to the USA. Altidore was brought in from Sunderland for $23M while the Rapids paid $16.5M for Johannsson from AZ. Luka Kranjnc was brought in from Arsenal on loan. It's possible that this loan might turn into an actual deal, but things will have to play out.

The highest signing in Rapids history turns out to be versatile midfielder Maximilian Arnold, brought in from Wolfsburh for $30M. Arnold can play AM(L), AM(C), M(C), and DM confidently. He can also play ST, WB(L), and D(L) with a bit of training. Arnold is only 19 years old but has a bright future ahead of him, touted as a 5-star prospect. Yearwood seems to have acknowledged this to justify the $30M transfer for Arnold.

Jozy AltidoreSTSunderland$23M
Aron JohannssonSTAZ$16.5
Sol ChungD(R)Hollywood United$140K
Maximilian ArnoldAM(C)Wolfsburg$30M
Luka KranjncD(C)ArsenalLoan

From the American Soccer Chronicles, July 4th, 2013:

The Colorado Rapids played their first match of the pre-season away at Junior, currently in the First Division of Colombia. The Rapids were largely disappointing all game long, as striker Edison Toloza scored in the 2nd minute and defensive back Julio Lozano lengthened Junior's lead to 2 in the 47th minute. A late goal from attacking midfielder Gabriel Torres gave the Rapids a glitter of hope with his goal in the 75th minute, but the Rapids continued to be disappointing and ended up losing the game 2-1, despite creating a numerous amount of chances.

Juniorvs.Colorado Rapids
6Shots13
3Shots On Target5
13Fouls5
0/0Yellow Cards/Red Cards0/0
48%Possession52%