Rise of the Royals......The Reading Story

Who do you think will be Reading's Championship top scorer?

• G.Rasiak

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • M.Matejovsky

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • S.Long

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • B.Howard

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • S.Church

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Any other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bgsam1990

Reaction score
Rise of the Royals.....a Reading F.C. Story
attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Pre-Season
Here is the pre-season. A great chance to test various tactics, various players and the hot prospects. Only the results, formation used and the goal scorers are mentioned here.

Carlisle 1-1 Reading (Church) formation: 4-4-2, wide, high tempo
Bury 1-0 Reading formation: 4-5-1: The Barca style (but flopped :p)
Reading 1-1 GH Academy (Long) formation: 4-3-1-2

I expected this to happen.Unlucky against Carlisle.Good luck.

il be following. You had a terrible pre-season though.. :S

Come On Urz!

Pre-Season
Here is the pre-season. A great chance to test various tactics, various players and the hot prospects. Only the results and the goal scorers are mentioned here.

Carlisle 1-1 Reading (Church)
Bury 1-0 Reading
Reading 1-1 GH Academy (Long)
Lincoln 0-4 Reading (Matejovsky, Long, Church, Rasiak)
Colchester 1-2 Reading (Long, Rasiak)
Didcot 0-3 Reading (Hunt, Karacan, Matejovsky)
Basingstoke 0-3 Reading (Henry,Pearce, O'Dea)

Overall, a nice experience and the tactic that worked well are 4-1-2-1-2 (for the last 3 matches) and Long and Pearce came out on top and am hoping they would keep up the level throught out the season or at least for the major part of it.

Transfers:
Only a budget of $300K and had to use it judiciously. My midfield is very combative and creative and no midfielders required. Defence is quite strong with Alex Pearce as the star defender. I went in for another striker as I have only 2 experienced strikers - Rasiak and Hunt. Long and Church are still young and learning. So, I brought Leon Best from Coventry after his good displays for Coventry.

View attachment 50706

For Gylfi sigurdsson, if you're using the 10.0 patch you might want to build his fitness up.

I am planning to send him out on loan or probably sell him as Italian clubs are ready to pay $1.2 M (Catania and Udinese)

A Sensational Start to the new season:
(August'09)
A brief report of all the matches in August:

CH: Reading 6-0 Nottingham Forest

(Matejovsky x2, Pearce, Rasiak x2, Hunt)

An absolutely brilliant start to the new season. Simply ripped Nott forest apart. Matejovsky and Rasiak were superb. Both deserved their braces.The defence was also solid as we scored two goals from counter-attacks.

View attachment 50709

LC: Reading 2-0 Hereford
(Long x2)
A good performance considering that I played many reserves. Though we struggled initially, the players showed determination to score the goals when the opposition were slightly domintaing.

CH: Newcastle 0-2 Reading
(Howard x2)
First upset of the season. The press predicted a comfortable win for the home-side. I sent out my side with 'counter' mentality initially and NewCaslte were very dominant. Switched to 'control' mode and brought in Howard and it paid dividends. Scored two withing 15 minutes of coming on as a sub. A blast from just outside the box and a smart finish to rub salt on the wounds for the Magpies. Hurrah!

CH: Swansea 2-0 Reading
(-)
Badly outplayed. Should've done better as a manager. Gave them too much space to put in the crosses and paid the price.

GOSLING JOINS READING ON LOAN

CH: Reading 1-0 Sheffield United
(Matejovsky)
A winning goal of pure quality. A sure goal of the season contender. A lovely curler by the attacking midfielder in the 70th odd minute. But had to bring on an extra defender and a defensive midfielder to absorb the late relentless attacks by Sheff Utd.

LC: Bournemouth 2-5 Reading
(Church x2, Long x3)
2-0 within 20 minutes of start and 2-0 till the 80th minute. A neat goal by their centre forward and a needless penalty given away cost the team and the match was forced into extra-time. I replaced Best with Long and he scored a hat-trick! Brilliant performance by Long.

CH: Barnsley 1-2 Reading
(Cisse, Karacan)
A good performance again but conceded late again and the players had to come under huge pressure again. Managed to win though!

SUMMARY: A good month with 6 wins out of 7. Alex Pearce was a rock in the defence for me and grabbed the third spot in the young player of the month award. And the goal of the month went to Marek Matejovsky for his stunning strike against Sheff Utd.

View attachment 50711 View attachment 50712

FINAL LIST OF TRANSFERS:
Sold Sigurdsson for $1.2M.

Last edited:
Great start to the season, Ill follow, Championship is a great league. Good luck!!!

Can Reading carry on their sensational start to the campaign?
(1st September '09 - 3rd October '09)
Reading might have had a stunning start but can they keep the momentum going? Find out below.....
A note on various teams competing for promotion. Bristol City and Derby County were outstanding in August. They dropped just 1 and 2 points respectively. So, I have to do well in August during which there are some relatively easy matches but complacency has to be avoided!

CH: Reading 0-0 Doncaster
Doncaster will have every right to feel aggrieved for not winning the match. Had it not been for Gosling and Pearce, I would have been humiliated. Experimented 4-1-1-3-1 but failed badly. So, I am delighted with the point after an unconvincing performance.

CH: Reading 3-0 Cardiff
(O'Dea, Church, Gosling)
Needed to put in a classy performance against fellow promotion contenders Cardiff. But they were in poor form and find themselves somewhere in the bottom of the table. Changed back to my favourite 4-1-2-1-2 and was back to winning ways.
TACTICAL EXPERTISE: I had to win this and so watched the highlights of the previous match where Cardiff conceded from corners and free-kicks. I took advantage of this weakness and delivered corners to near posts and free kicks too. Two goals from set pieces delighted me!!!

CH: Peterborough 1-1 Reading
(Kebe)
Kebe saved Reading's blues by scoring a timely equalizer. The match was goalless till the 84th minute when they scored from a corner. Had Mills sent off in the 88th minute. Fortunately, Kebe scored from a tight angle and delighted the fans!

LC: Reading 5-4 Middlesbrough (aet)
(Long x2, Howard, Karacan, Cisse)
Wonderful match. Cisse scores a fantastic 30 yarder to send Reading into the next round. Lita pulled one back everytime I got a two goal cushion. But it was tough to mark him though.
View attachment 51102

CH: Reading 1-1 Watford
(Long)
Unlucky not to pick up all the three points. Sympathised with the team after 90 minutes as they gave their 100 percent. Their goalie was magnificent and also saved a penalty. He ended up with a rating of 9.2!!

CH: Preston 1-3 Reading
(Long x3)
A hat-trick and Long again. His second of the campaign. Ever since Rasiak stopped scoring (he is yet to score in some 8 matches I guess), Long has been my spearhead in attack. A wonderful solo performance by the 22 year old. All typical poacher's goals though!

CH: Reading 4-1 Middlesbrough
(Matejovsky x2, Church x2)
We knew all about each other now. I told Pearce to man mark Lita and he stuck to him like glue. Whilw they got only half-chances, we were brilliant. Chance after chance came and the finishing was great, esp by Church who replaced the injured Long in the 5th minute.

Meanwhile, Bristol City dropped points against NewCastle after earning only a draw. Waiting for Derby also to drop points. Now, I am top of the league!

DISAPPOINTMENT!!!!
I was faring so well in the Championship and unfortunately, the game couldn't load my save. It shows the message "The save game could not be loaded". I reinstalled FM 2010 due to some hardware n software problems and when I try to open it again..the above message was displayed!
Please help me out!
Thanks!

Ah no was looking foward to following, mite be the end i hope not, if it is u shud start again , good story its a shame

In that case, I also have a Charlton save on which I will start a new story. Just 3 pre-season matches played in that...Anyways I am utterly disappointed by this!!!

@Moderator: Plz delete this thread as the story is no longer gonna continue